Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get these items in the guesthouse?

Default Can I get these items in the guesthouse?

Hi All,
    I know I will sound stupid by asking these, but just hope that someone can advise me on that:
    1. Can I get the necessary medicine eg. mountain sickness pills, iodine, etc in Kathmandu or guesthouse in the mountains.
    2. If I were to get a porter at Beshishar, can I get an insurance for him there?
    3. I would be trekking for 18 days and being an Asian, I used to change clothes everyday. So, I am just wondering how many clothes should I bring, especially in the situation that trekking will make me sweat everday.
    4. What is the price range of a comfortable guesthouse? My comfortable level is a lodge that provides soap, toilet roll and thick blanket. In that case, I don't have to bring all these items along.
    5. Is there any guesthouse that has room thermo?
    6. As I read through the threads, I see that lately there is a problem with ATM cashing facilities, can the recent trekker please advise if the issue has been resolved and how much to bring throughout the trekking in the mountain, excluding expenses spend in Kathmandu and Pokhara.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Can I get these items in the guesthouse?

Quote Originally Posted by TeSP
    Hi All,
    I know I will sound stupid by asking these, but just hope that someone can advise me on that:
    1. Can I get the necessary medicine eg. mountain sickness pills, iodine, etc in Kathmandu or guesthouse in the mountains.
    2. If I were to get a porter at Beshishar, can I get an insurance for him there?
    3. I would be trekking for 18 days and being an Asian, I used to change clothes everyday. So, I am just wondering how many clothes should I bring, especially in the situation that trekking will make me sweat everday.
    4. What is the price range of a comfortable guesthouse? My comfortable level is a lodge that provides soap, toilet roll and thick blanket. In that case, I don't have to bring all these items along.
    5. Is there any guesthouse that has room thermo?
    6. As I read through the threads, I see that lately there is a problem with ATM cashing facilities, can the recent trekker please advise if the issue has been resolved and how much to bring throughout the trekking in the mountain, excluding expenses spend in Kathmandu and Pokhara.

Thanks in advance
    1. You can get all the medicine you want without prescription at one of the many Thamel pharmacies. Plus other stuff like tiger balm, kukhri knives, hash, girls, whatever...
    2. I don't think you can get insurance for a porter in Besi. Better get a porter in Thamel, and pay their way, and their extra day to Besi.
    3. There is treatment for obsessive-compulsive disorder, and I don't think it has anything to do with what continent you're from. It is known as progressive desensitization and I can perform this with you for 250 dollars/session. Seriously.
    You can wash your clothes at the lodges, but would they dry overnight? Probably if they are thin polypropilene underwear. I usually take three of everything. Wash clothes in Manang. Funnily enough in the mountains you don't feel the need to change everyday, especially as you go above 3000 m altitude and the air is cold and dry. Up there it is not the hot/sticky atmosphere from South East Asia, for example. I wear merino underwear like IceBreaker, and Earth Sea Sky. It does not smell, even after a few days. Awesome.
    4. Are we talking guesthouses/hotels in Kathmandu or Pokhara? or Lodges on trek? The former provide you with soap/shampoo, toilet paper, towel - any guesthouse starting at about 15 USD/night would give you these. Typical better hotel in Thamel is 25-40 USD/night.
    On trek the lodges do not provide soap or shampoo, but some provide toilet paper. You can certainly buy these items on the Annapurna Circuit, from any lodge you stay at.
    5. What is a room thermo? Like a hot blow-up companion? Anyway, whatever it is, I don't think so.

6. I am landing in KTM today (in Bangkok right now) and will bring cash with me for the whole exercise (USD and AUD). Not sure what the situation is with the ATMs right at the moment. Anyway in the past I could only get cash at ATMs in KTM or Pokhara from my credit card, not from my cheque account, which was annoying. Cash is king, especially in the new republic of Nepal.
    You would spend about 25 USD per day on trek for food and accomodation. I would allow for a bit more, as I hear prices have increased lately.

A porter or a porter-guide will cost you about 10-15 USD/day. Remember it is customary to pay him/her about 10-15% of the total sum, in backsheesh (tip) at the end of the trip. And you are supposed to pay the transport for the porter to and from the trail head back to KTM (not much, as the buses are not expensive), plus the transfer day. Essentially the day you leave KTM with the porter/guide they are working for you and you must pay them.
    Hope this helps. Let me know about the progressive desensitizationl treatment. I offer discount to trekinfo participants.

You're welcome in advance
    Last edited by yakshaver; 30th October 2009 at 07:51 AM.
    yakshaver

every one likes to change their clothes each day when they are at home but if you choose to go to remote areas then you have to think again. With roughly 3 sets of clothings one can always be drying while you use the other two. Layers are the most effective way.

ATMs were plentiful in KTM and Pokara and most small cities in Jan 2009.

Every lodge I ever stayed at had blankets and or quilts which were warm..

Toilet paper is available but you never throw it down the toilet. Into the bucket and it will be burned later.

Carry plenty of cash esp US dollars and you can change that anywhere.

I always trek very lightly with a small day bag.

You could bring a fresh change of clothes for each day if you hired an extra porter.

Then, once finished with the day's clothes, donate these to your porters or other local. You will be a big hit and help others.

"Room thermo" might refer to an occupant adjustable theromostat controlled heating/cooling system. Well, I have not seen any of those, basically because there is no heating (or cooling) in lodge rooms. When you get above 3000m level the temperatures might actually drop below zero C. High up even to -15C or so. For that reason I always have a down sleeping bag with me and do not rely on blankets alone. If you want a thermostat you have to carry one with you and decorate the room with it. I would look dandy!

To be able to change clothes every day you need only two pairs of everything, wear on alternate days...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. Landfall, I guess you must be a sentimental trekker. Such things never come to my mind, thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, yakshaver, I am not very sure what is "progressive desensitization",.. sound like a big words to me. After having done a search on it, I guess it means anxiety. I could have sound worry when posting the thread. Anyway, thanks for the other points.

Regards
    Te

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. Landfall, I guess you must be a sentimental trekker. Such things never come to my mind, thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, yakshaver, I am not very sure what is "progressive desensitization",.. sound like a big words to me. After having done a search on it, I guess it means anxiety. I could have sound worry when posting the thread. Anyway, thanks for the other points.

Regards
    Te
    Glad you found the advice from the guys useful.

Progressive desensitisation might work like this:
    This week you skip shower for one day. Next week you skip shower for two days. It will cause you a bit more disconfort, and anxiety, but you continue like this progressively. Until you are quite comfortable with not showering at all. Ever. For example.
    Cheers
    yakshaver

Hi guys,

That's me alright... old sentimental Landfall guy....

(after 3 weeks with same 3 pairs of underwear etc , you too would be sentimental about those "new" underwear waiting for you back in the hotel in Kathmandu! )
    Last edited by Landfall38; 3rd November 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Merino wool is quite amazing: on an expedition to Ulugh Muztagh at Kunlun mountains in Chang Tang (north edge of the Tibetan plateau) we were away from washing amounts of water for over 5 weeks. We were all the time at over 4500m, most of the time at 5300m. So I wore my heavy gauge merino underwear for over 2 weeks without ever taking it off. At the halfway mark I stripped and put on the clean pair. Those garments did not even smell, and I did not either (too much). Wool had dried my calfs, though, skin was flaking a bit. Tempereatures were around -10C average.

Here is the story of our trip if somebody is interested: http://www.ersh.sp.ru/news/year2003/ulugh/ulug2003.html

picture links at the bottom of the page
    Last edited by Petrus; 3rd November 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the useful tips. By the way, did anyone get a local sim card in Nepal? If yes, can you please advise what is the 'recharge' amount. I saw the word 'recharge' when googling around and I assume it means top up the airtime value.
    Is there any shop or guesthouse that allow 'recharge' if my sim card value is low? Or is the telecommunication/internet available in the mountain?
    Thanks in advance

Regards
    Te