Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotel recommendations in Katmandu & Pokhara -With advice about Annapurna Sanctuary

Default Re: Hotel recommendations in Katmandu and Pokhara

>> 1. Can someone confirm that I can get all the permits required in Pokhara - ACAP/TIMS etc., and that I don't need to get anything in Kathmandu?

Yes. Just go down to the office at Damside and you get both at the same place. Take a few passport sized photos with you.

>> 2. Whats the best way to get to the start of the trek for the ABC? Taxi/bus?

I would take a taxi. You can get a bus too but a taxi is more convenient. Just ask any of the taxi drivers you'll find at Lakeside.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Personally I would get a taxi from Pokhara to Phidi – it only takes about 20 minutes and if you went by bus you would probably need a taxi to take you to the bus station (Assuming that you are going to stay in Lakeside)

Yes – Both you can get both your ANCAP and TIMS in Pokhara – TIMS is quite new – the details of how, where and why you need them are HERE
    Good Luck
    Rob

Thanks all,

Another question regarding trip itinerary.

For the ABC trek, I need some advice on potential routes. Apologies in advance for my atrocious spelling of village names

1. Route 1 - To Chromong and ABC via phidi and Lndruk
    2. Route 2. - To Chromong and ABC via Nayapul-Gorepani-Ghandruk

Assuming that time is not a factor, is one preferrable over the other? From what I have read, the main attraction of route 2 seems to be Poon hill. Are the views from there so spectacular that it is worth the extra few days of trekking? Or will we get comparable views somewhere on the other route too?

Thanks again,

- Bala

OK – I will try and answer your question – Although, to me your route planning seems strange as neither of your routes actually hit Ghoropani for Poon Hill
    This is how I did this trek

1) Leave Pokhara in the late afternoon by taxi to Phidi and trek up to Dhampus, arriving there late afternoon
    2) Dhampus to Ladruk – about ¾ days trek crossing one ridge then mainly downhill to Ladruk
    3) Ladruk to Chomrong- about ¾ days trek downhill at first to cross the Modi Kosi at “ New Bridge” (No Bridge!!) and the Steeply uphill to Chomrong
    4) Chomrong to Bamboo – about ¾ days trek, Steeply downhill on steps, the steeply uphill to Real Sinua and then downhill again to Bamboo
    5) Bamboo to Himalaya – ½ day steadily up
    6) Himalaya to Deurali -- ½ day steadily up
    7) Deurali to MBC - -- ½ day steadily up
    8) MBC – ABC – Doban - Full day, up early, breakfast at ABC then return downhill all the way to Doban picking your pack up at MBC when passing
    9) Doban to Chomrong -- ¾ day with one up and over and a pull up to Chomrong
    10) Chomrong to Tadopani - Full day - You cross one small ridge, then it is considerably up, initially through terraced agricultural land, then into forest before finally reaching Tadopani
    11) Tadopani to Ghoropani (Poon Hill) ¾ day - first down through forest, then you undulate through a mixture of agricultural land and more forest, one small up and over then generally downhill into Ghoropani.
    12) Either Ghoropani to Birithanti or Tatopani – both ¾ day treks and downhill all the way
    13) From Birithanti to Nayapool – 1 hours hike and then bus back to Pokhara
    From Tatopani to Beni by jeep then bus back to Pokhara

Personally I would opt for the Tatopani route and as long as you aren’t tight on time then have a day off there to take advantage of the Hot Springs

Good Luck
    Rob

I would do both as both are amazing and apart from getting up at 5am for the poon hill trek for half an hour it is totally worth it.The view is spectacular and not to be missed.

Default Re: Hotel recommendations in Katmandu & Pokhara -With advice about Annapurna Sanctuar

Hi
    All permits can be obtained from the local Nepal tourism board here in Pokhara (Price is 2000 rupee for trek permit and 1400 rupee for TIMS) the office opens at 10am to 5pm. You will need 4 passport photos!

To get to the start of ABC you can take a taxi 1200 rupee or you can take a bus for 100 rupee.

Enjoy the trek!
    Regards
    Buddhi

Default Re: Hotel recommendations in Katmandu & Pokhara -With advice about Annapurna Sanctuar

I wanted to bump this up as I am currently looking for hotel recommendation in Kathmandu for our trip in late October. Any updates on this? Here are some of the favorites I saw listed.

- The Great Wall
    - Hotel Thamel
    - Norbu Linka
    - Hotel Utse
    - Hotel Norling
    - Kathmandu Peace Guest House
    - Tibet Guest House

Thanks in advance,

I recently stayed at Hotel Ganesh Himal in Kathmandu. It is a 5 min walk south of Thamel, in quieter Chetrapati. The rooms are nice, the staff friendly, and the food excellent! The also have a nice big garden courtyard and rooftop seating. It is a bit more than the cheap 500 rs rooms in Thamel, but also much nicer. I paid about 13$ night. They also have free wifi and free mineral water: hot and cold.