Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helambu and Gosainkund

Default Helambu and Gosainkund

Has anyone found any interesting places off the main trails in Helambu, and on the way up to Gosainkund?

Default Re: Helambu and Gosainkund

Gosaikunda has been recommeded to me as very beautiful trek.
    yakshaver

It is a gorgeous trek. It was my first trek and I have done 7 in Nepal. From both Kaynjain Gompa and Gosaikunda there is great wandering. Also some interesting spots heading the other direction for a day or so up from Sybaru bensi.
    It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun!

Thanks Sharon. From Syabru Bensi, do you mean towards Rasuwa on the border with Tibet, in the opposite direction to Gosainkunda?

I noted villages off the trail on the way up to Sing Gompa and then again on the lower portions of the Helambu trails.

However, if you are heading out from , as Sharon suggested, you might consider the Tamang Heritage Trail - a very nice five day loop through Gatlang, Tatopani, Thuman, Timre, and Bridim. There is a friendly community lodge in the unbelievably beautiful village of Gatlang (Just received an email from the lodge manager, Bakas, today!). Tatopani has incredible hot springs - hot, hotter and hottest (no better place on earth to admire the stars on a clear cold night). On the way to Thuman there is a group of lodges on a hilltop location with killer views. In Thuman, a traditional village, I had a tourist type room, but dinning was in the managers home - a very nice experience. Timre, a village on the direct trail from Syabru Beshi, is a nice village with a selection of tourist lodges and is a short walk from the border and the ever pleasant Chinese military. Bridim is/was a home stay community (a really nice personal experience) in a drop dead gorgeous village (note in Dec 08 there was advanced construction on what looked to be a first class lodge).

One caveat, the Chinese are building a road to Syabru Beshi which I suspect will ruin Timre, but not spoil the rest of the loop.

Thumbs up Re: Helambu and Gosainkund

very interesting. this is also the end of the Langtang trek as you know or the beginning for some. I have wondered recently about the situation with the road. Is it now easier and faster to Syabrubensi or is it still a big dusty mess. I imagine now, just after the rains, the road could be a real mess. When the Chinese built the road out of Pokara past Nyapul I thought it was a great road, flat and a really good drive. I know it spoilt things for some of the trekking villages.

But I have wondered for a while about going back to Langtang and not going up the trek too far for some birding. I haven:t read a detailed account of what that area or Dunche are like at the moment.

Last time I walked up from Dunche to Barku and spent a few days around there as there were lots of birds and I Would like to do it again.

A big thanks to the Chinese for developing the area.This is gladly accepted by the locals whose own government is too corrupt and lazy to help.

This is a great area for wandering, and very under rated in my opinion.

Going from the Helambu direction there are a variety of ways to get into Langtang, i.e via Gosainkund, via Ganja La or over Panch Pokhari and Tillmans Col. In Helambu area itself there are a few different routes which you can find detailed in any guidebook. You will find plenty of uncrowded and cheap lodges even in peak season.

Once at Gosainkund, there are at least 2 ways back to Dunche or you can go via Sing Gompa to Syabru ( nice but quite touristy village ) .

From Syabru there is only one way really into Langtang but once at Kyangin Gompa you have a multitude of day hikes and camping possibilities.

Coming back down the valley I would recommend taking the high route out of Langtang via Sherpagoan and Bhanjagoan, high up on North side of the valley. Truly awesome trail and nice villages. Before you descend down into Syabru Bensi you could ponder on the numerous possibilities on the other side of the Bhote Kosi i.e. towards Somdam, Briddim etc in the Tamang Heritage area. I understand that all these villages have places to stay and they are proper villages rather than trekker ghettos.

Other possibilites are walking down from Syabru Bensi on the West side of the Bhote Kosi down to Trisuli. You can see the trail and villages from the bus and it looks brilliant but I have never heard of anyone doing that trail.

Bus journey to Dunche from KTM is OK but the last bit to Syabru Bensi is very bad and slow. The Chinese are building a road on their side of the border but as of last year there was no road on the Nepali side beyond Syabru Bensi. The border is not far from there though so it would not be a big job to join up with any Chinese road. It will happen, here and through Mustang. Make the most of it now!

I am thinking of maybe going to Helambu in February. Do you guys think that
    is doable, ie not too cold?

IIRC Gosainkund is quite high and also prone to get a lot of snow.

I am looking to do a trek of 10 - 14 days, as a warm up for a longer trek in March.

If you have 10-12 days I would be inclined to start from Syabrus Bensi or Dunche and go up to Langtang. Weather permitting, you could then return over Gosainkund and do one of the Helambu trails. If the Laurebina La is impassable then at least you can turn round at say Sing Gompa and maybe trek for a few more days North and East of Syabru Bensi or in Lower Langtang. Doing the trek from KTM ( the other way ) if the pass was closed you would have to turn back at Gopte or Laurebina Phedi after only 3 or 4 days trekking and go back a similar way to KTM. You would not get amongst the big mountains at any point and would miss the best views, so I think this route would be more risky.

It will be cold above Ghora Tabela but some of the lodges will be open and there are some nice warm ones up there! I think it will be OK.