Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea in Nepal

Default Diarrhea in Nepal

I heard there was a pretty bad outbreak there.
    What are people taking to combat? Cipro?

Default Re: Diarrhea in Nepal

Get some dukoral before you go. Will give you great protection.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I always get the dukarol as well. I carry Cipro when I am out there. I pick it up in a pharmacy in Thamel.
    It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by davebks
    I heard there was a pretty bad outbreak there.
    What are people taking to combat? Cipro?
    Usually donīt have tummy problems, but always carry Flagyl in case I get ameabic dyssentery. The last twentyfive years itīs the only medication Iīve used for diarrhea. It is not a drug you should take lightly.
    Last edited by Per; 17th July 2009 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Per
    Usually donīt have tummy problems, but always carry Flagyl in case I get ameabic dyssentery. The last twentyfive years itīs the only medication Iīve used for diarrhea. It is not a drug you should take lightly.
    I mean, you always get some of the runs in Nepal. And as Mr.Gormsby would put it: there's nothing wrong with that. I never had a bad bout, just minor stuff every now aned then. Ameobic dysintery is another matter, and one smells like a putrid corpse immersed in hydrogen sulphure. For that reason I also carry the four flagyl pills with me, though thankfully I had no reason to use them as yet.
    yakshaver

Thumbs up Re: Diarrhea in Nepal

phlagyl worked for me but it kills your gut. there are different levels of phlaygl. I revived by eating curd, lost tons of weight. Took about a week to get better. I had sweats. extreme tiredness, impossible to eat except to lick chocolate and use Marijane to put me back in a good mood. The mood swings with this type of illness are a big problem and you feel you won`t get better.

I friend of mine who got malaria in Africa swore that beer was the best pickme up.

I got back to the UK on the 9th October after completing (as far as Jomsom) the AC, and a couple of days of white water rafting. I was feeling pretty rough when I got home and then got rapidly worse. I will spare you the gory details, but I started to feel a bit better after 4 or 5 days when the results of my sample were analised and I was put on a course of Ciprofloxacin. Just 3 more days to finish the course of tablets. I wouldn`t wish it on anyone!
    Will write more about my trip and effect of the road etc., next week, but I was not impressed.

We always carry cipro* (purchase over counter in Thamel) -- have found it works incredibly fast (usually we can stop taking tabs within 24 hrs).

Last trek was first trek (of 8) without ANY stomach issues -- especially giardia has been a problem. The difference? We believe it was our use of the SteriPen.
    (But one cannot really prove this -- could always be luck/chance. Nevertheless, we now travel everywhere with our SteriPen.)

* Note: in Thailand, there appears to be some resistance to Cipro, so there we use alternative antibiotic (azithromycin)

previously: "We always carry cipro* ... have found it works incredibly fast (usually we can stop taking tabs within 24 hrs).... in Thailand, there appears to be some resistance to Cipro..."

Taking antibiotics for a short period is what causes the spread of resistant bacteria. I question the wisdom of this kind of misuse/abuse of medications. Cipro is a very powerful topoisomerase inhibitor (as are chemotherapy drugs). Just because it is available over the counter in Nepal, doesn't make it wise or safe to use like aspirin.

Correct odd-man-out, misuse of antibiotics (taking when not absolutely necessary, or not taking the FULL course) is indeed a major problem in the raise of resistance in bacteria and viruses.

Hence, I put up with the occasional run-fest, though I am seldom affected beyond reason. (having grown up in communist Romania in the 70'ies, the likes of Giardia and Cryptospiridium are my friends...not my enemas...)

No such problem with marijuana.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 28th October 2009 at 07:53 AM.
    yakshaver