Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothes in Kathmandu

Default Clothes in Kathmandu

Hello all, I am off for my first trip to KTM in a few weeks and am prepping everything I need. I have read through the FAQ's but have a few more questions which need answering.

Should I buy clothing for the trip in KTM? I will need shorts (up to what altitude will I be wearing shorts?) pants, a jacket and maybe a mid layer. I am not after longevity so that is not an issue, it only has to last a few weeks. I can quite easily get shorts and so on here if need be, I was thinking there may be a buck or 2 to be saved by buying in KTM.

I am heading to EBC and then on to Imja Tse if that is any help.

Thank you in advance

J

Default Re: Clothes in Kathmandu

Yes, you should buy in KTM. Much cheaper, and not that bad in quatily these days anymore.

Upto what attitude you might be wearing shorts depends on the time of the year. Still, even in mid winter it will probably be until about 3000m altitude. If you fly into Lukla in December, maybe for the first couple of days.
    yakshaver

Thanks Yakshaver, as I said I am heading of in a few weeks so the dates I will be ther will be from Oct 20 through till Nov 18.

I appreciate everyones help, the forum has been a wonderful resource.

J

Everything thing I have read says shorts are a no culturally so I haven't planned to wear any....Am I wrong? I could wear shorts without any issues?

I have heard that very short or tight fitting shorts are a no no for women. I have also heard singlets (tank tops) are a non no for all. But as far as cargo shorts etc go I think all is a ok.

Others will have had first hand experience however. I do remember being told not to wear shorts in indonesia (Jakarta) back in 99 but that was only because the locals would think you were poor. Truth is they didn't, people wear different things in different cultures but they are generally accepting of other cultures also.

J

Wearing scant clothing (singlets/shorts) is definitely NOT culturally appropriate in Nepal- for either women or men...
    However on the major treks locals are used to seeing trekkers doing what in their mind is silly things. They will joke about "what? Don't you have enough money to buy proper clothing?"
    In 1999 in Jorsale Santaman did go to an American lady who was wearing shorts and a backless singlet. (You had to be there, there was a lot of banter around the lunch tables full of tourists and guides). Two hundred rupees in hand, saying to her in effect: Madam, if you have financial issues, here is some money to buy clothes..." She laughed. So did he. But it was only half a joke for him - and he mumbled something in Nepal or Tamang which must have been quite unpleasant.

I never wear shorts on trek. I think is not a wise and sensitive thing to do - now that we talk about this.
    But as Escher says, I should not be given as an example for anything, since I take pills to help me deal with altitude. Maybe it does affect my thinking.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 2nd October 2009 at 02:29 AM.
    yakshaver

long shorts with pockets are essential as its very hot in the day time. pedal pushers or long cargo shorts are perfect as you don:t want to reach around to your backpack every time you need something. where you locate things on your body should be thought out. Money where, binoculars where, camera where, so that you are not endlessly rummaging for essential things. I always wear a fishing jacket with little and large pockets even one on the back as I have bird guides, plants guides, note books. They are not heavy.

Think carefully about socks and any garment close to your body as seams chafe really badly. For regular hikers this is obvious but if you are not a regular backpacker underwear seams can really hurt and socks are very important to be clean and seamless. I cannot emphasis that enough. Of course you can wear trainers with no socks and therefore no care about wet conditions. But take care of your feet well. Well cut nails, a file can make the difference between hobbling along and walking.

I have seen a lot of hobblers, people with serious knee pain, back pain, shoulder pain. All can be avoided if you read through this forum and a few others about good tips on equipment and health.

If you go up high you face will get really burned raw red.

Travel light, use layers, take care of skin and nails and dont look ugly. Look at the guides they are all neat as pins so no need to look like a tramp

If you want to make it interesting you could always dress in drag a sari safari
    Last edited by Suginami; 2nd October 2009 at 06:44 AM.

I think that you should wear shorts if you feel comfortable in them.

On the main treks, like EBC there have been trekkers in shorts for a generation
    or more now. Nepalis are used to it.

I have trekked several of the main routes over the last 25 years, and always
    had shorts in warm weather. I have never noticed any Nepalis being offended
    by my dress code. I really think you run a greater risk of offending the locals if
    you dress up in Nepali gear.

Obviously what is OK out on the trail may not be kosher in Namche.

I find long pants make walking much harder.

I did the same trip that you are going to do last year. It was awesome. If you would like any information on climbing Imja Tse please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    On the main treks, like EBC there have been trekkers in shorts for a generation or more now. Nepalis are used to it.
    True, they are thouroughly used to foreigners looking really funny. Shorts is a minor indiscretion. They have more fun about those with shaved heads (implies mourning a close relative), women in Lucknow Khurtas (shirts worn by muslim men). At times the passing stream of foreign trekkers appears as a funny dress party to the Nepalese.

Nevertheless, if I want to get close to be people and be respected I donīt wear shorts. There are some other considerations. Shorts leave a lot of skin exposed, means more mosquitos get you, if you slip and have a fall there is nothing between your bare skin and the ground, if it suddenly gets cold as it does at times you have to find a spot where you can change to pants, and, not least, knees are considered extremely uggly among Tibetan speakers.
    Last edited by Per; 27th October 2009 at 01:33 PM.