Thread: Fit but inexperienced: Advice on climbing EBC in August

Default Fit but inexperienced: Advice on climbing EBC in August

Hi, I'm a fit and healthy male. I want to ascend to base camp, but am working overseas so I can only do it in August.

Ridiculously I'm concerned most by references to leeches I've read on here. Are they a big problem or fairly rare?

Also I would like to know what is the cheapest but most sensible way of doing this trip i.e. where and how to arrange a guide to show me the sights and keep me pointed in the right direction. I'd also like to possibly hook up with other walkers on the trip as I'm social.

I understand that the Tea House route is well trod and fairly straight forward to follow is this an accurate appraisal?

Any advice people can give will be well recieved, I am training hard to make sure I'm fit enough.

Cheers,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Bunsell; 1st October 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Default Re: Fit but inexperienced: Advice on climbing EBC in August

It is not a climb. Its a trek. Cheapest way. Bus to Jiri, follow the trail. Second cheapest way: fly to Lukla, follow the hordes towards EBC. No guide necessary.

Super fitness is no even needed for the trek, just common sense. And the ability to go slow at altilude, take rest days and even the walking days are sometimes only 4 hours or so. This to prevent AMS.

Costs: food & bed about 25 USD/day. Sagarmatha park entrance fee something like $10. If you want to fly in or out of Lukla the flight is about $110 each way. Bus to/from Jiri or Shivalaya about 6-15 dollars depending on the bus.

Guide is not necessary but if you want one it is about $20/day. More usefull is a porter-guide who carries your pack, about $12/day. If you are in good shape and pack light not even a porter is needed.

Fly in and and out takes 2 weeks and thus costs about $600 total, walk in fly out takes 3 weeks and costs about $660. This is without staff.

And yes, this trek has nothing to do with climbing, it is a walk. August is not good time, rain, clouds. Leecehs are harmless, I have never noticed them while they have been actually sucking, only the marks they have left in the evening.
    Last edited by Petrus; 30th September 2009 at 11:47 AM.

There are varying philosophies on guides and porters.
    I believe contributing to the people is a responsibility when treking. Keep the money out of kathmandu and spend it in the vilages. I also think if you are trekking alone a guide or porter is safer. While you will meet lots of people on trail and no doubt connect with some if you are ill it is nice to have someone look after you whether it be altitude or diarrhea.
    It is not a climb as already been said. In some ways being too fit can be dangerous. There are established itineraries for ascending. Follow them!
    It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun!

I agree with Sharon. In fact, I always take someone with me.. But if you are really looking to save $, it is not necessary for the route finding.

ben
    i have just completed ebc trek 2 weeks ago. The scenery was amazing, as was the weather. It one of the best trips ive had and im not an experienced trekker.
    I had a guide and a porter. The guide was through a company in kathmandu and the porter was picked up in lukla. I got a good deal with the company i went with. To be honest you can do it alone as there is enough people doing it as not to be lonely, but with a guide they can provide you with a lot of information along the way, they can assess any signs of altitude sickness quickly and also make it easier to get a room when its busy!! I was more than happy with my trip.
    It is an advantage to be as fit as possible because you will enjoy the trip more but it isnt about being superfit, as its important to go steady and enjoy the scenery!! Yes its a challenging trek in parts. Remember to enjoy it and not see ebc as the final goal. I found kala pattar the toughest part, a steep trek with very dry air.
    I did see a few people coming down with altitude sickness mainly at 14-15000ft, but just drink lots of water, pace yourself - its not a race!!-
    stick to acclimatisation schedules.
    you will have a great time. If you need any info just ask.

There probably won't be too many people traveling about Nepal in August.
    The planes to luckla can be delayed for days due to weather. They can only fly if weather is clear. You might have to wait a few days in ktm for the weather to clear. If you walk in from Jiri take a porter. It will probably be wet as mid monsoon, but it won't be too cold. Weather should be less wet above namche.
    Wrap your kit up well in plastic! You should not get any leeches if you stay alert and don't stop in damp places. Your porter will be watching you if any get attached.
    Consider Ladhak instead as august is the trekking season there.
    have fun,
    Dave