Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trekking in the k2 region

Default trekking in the k2 region

aloha!
    please pass on information that would help me on planning a trek to the k2 region.
    most cost effective way,can i do the trek independent,time of year,ect,,
    i would be flying in from hawaii,so maybe even what route to fly.
    thanks for your help.
    teddy

Default Re: trekking in the k2 region

http://trekinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196

Please have a look at the sticky link above. Oli has posted quite a detailed travelogue, and there are other comments and details too.
    yakshaver

It is one hell of a walk from Kangchenjunga to K2. I think you have your K's confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Yes, my attention to detail is attrocious, as usual. It makes for some quite random and really exciting happenings, though...
    yakshaver

I've never seen any talk about Baltoro around here (much to my disappointment as it seems like an interesting place).

It's much more remote and committed, I don't think that solo trekking is really an option.....

A lot of the commercial climbing expeditions heading for K2 / Gasherbrum / Broad Peak offer a trek where you trek in with their climbing team and then turn around and head back or exit via Ghondogoro La (committed high pass requiring crampons and fixed ropes). Field Touring Alpine are a good bet as they do a lot of work in Pakistan, maybe Altitude Junkies.

has anyone expeirenced the trekking into the baltoro?
    can travel to the beginning point of the baltoro trek be done from nepal,via land?
    spaceman,thank you for helping.
    i want to trek khumbu and trek the baltoro next,since i would be acclimated.
    aloha!
    teddy

Have you looked at the map?
    From Nepal to Baltoro is a bit too far to go there by trekking.
    And you won't be allowed to cross the India-Pakistan border while walking in the mountains (war zone) anyway.

I think the trekking season in Baltoro is in the summer. So, it is possible to get acclimatized in Nepal in the spring and then fly to Pakistan and go to Baltoro.

I am also interested in any information about Baltoro...

Talking Re: trekking in the k2 region

Aloha Nui Loa TTKuaii, well I hate to mention the obvious but K2 is in Pakistan and getting there from Nepal won't happen. Get caught crossing illegally into Pakistan across the border, especially being American and you can kiss your life goodbye. We are in a war over there and Americans aren't the most loved people in the area.I realize you live in Hawaii, I'm an ex-kamaaina having lived there for 15 years. Have you even considered the extreme change from sea level to high altitude trekking? You probably aren't aware of how thin your blood is living in a tropical climate. I moved back to the madland after 15 years and had a hard time staying warm even in summer my first year back. Granted you will get conditioned once you get to altitude and adjust to the cooler temps and thinner air. My recommendation to you is to blow off Nepal and go to India and cross into Pakistan somewhere around Kashmir. Remember the Paki's and Indian's have been fighting over this region for over 40 years. The Indian's will for the most part love you, the Paki's will be very leery of you just in case you are suspect CIA roaming around their country. Anyway, best of luck, stay warm and if you find Pakistan a bit too cold go back to India and head south to Goa where it is just like Kuaii only soooooooooo much cheaper. Happy trails

Talking Re: trekking in the k2 region

Aloha Teddy, was thinking about your adventure plans. Have you ever done high altitude trekking? The extreme change from sea level tropical climate to high altitude trekking is something to consider. If you have never done this kind of fun before I'd suggest you take a week trip over to the Big Island where I used to live and rent a jeep to go to the top of Mauna Kea. That is over 14,000 ft so best spend a day at the lower ranger station at 10,000 just to acclimate a bit as sea level to 14K is a gaurantee of a massive headache altho me and my bruddahs would do it to go skiing for the day when it'd sometimes snow in the winter. Take a heavy pack with you (I trek with 50-60# packweight, depending on how many treats I carry for the village children) and just do a good 5 mile hike at that altitude. For the most part once you hit the trails of Nepal you will be above 14k most the time. Be a good reality check for you before you head out to Nepal. If you do go to Pakistan be aware that you will be amongst Muslims for the most part. I was less than 10 miles from the Pakistan border in northern India getting ready to cross into the country to get to K2, when America in it's infinite wisdom decided to hang Saddam Hussein. That is the only time in my 30 years of wandering India and Nepal that I feared for my safety. The Muslim population went ballistic and the Hindus couldn't understand our reasoning. If you do go take a water filter, get a good one, I use MSR brand and it has never let me down. Best of luck to you in your adventures and happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sunkist
    I was ... getting ready to cross into the country to get to K2, when America in it's infinite wisdom decided to hang Saddam Hussein.
    It was the Iraqis who hanged Saddam, after sentencing him to death in their
    own court for the Dujail Massacre and other crimes against humanity.

Credit those who have earned it.