Thread: Need Annapurna Circuit Sleeping Bag Advise

Default Need Annapurna Circuit Sleeping Bag Advise

Hey all,
    I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything, so I have to ask.

I am doing the Annapurna Circuit Trek in November and need to kit myself out with a new sleeping bag and am looking for advise. I was thinking of a down bag rated to 12C....

Has anyone done the circuit in November and have any idea how cold it gets up near the pass?

thanks.

Default Re: Need Annapurna Circuit Sleeping Bag Advise

I have done it twice in October, temps were -8 and -12C at Thorong Phedi. Once in end of November, and it was only - 4C. Once in May, -6 at Tilicho Lake.

-12C bag is fine , just wear long underwear, fleece etc. if needed. Basically just one night is going to be anywhere near -10C, so you will survive that with almost anything.

And the usual 2 additional pointers: Stay at Thorong Phedi, going up to T Base Camp a bit higher carries a large risk of AMS. Better start one hour lower but heathy.

Go to Ghyaru (sleep there) & Ngawal from Pisang (so called high trail). Much better views, best villages, additional acclimatization as Ghyaru is 100m higher than Manang.

Thanks for the advise Petrus

My two cents on the bag question. Personally, I am miserable sleeping cold and I need to sleep warm to function well the next day. My "secret" to sleeping warm is 2 fairly tight fitting balaclavas (lighter and heavier weight). You know you have a good combination if you try these on at home and think you are going to pass out from heat stroke in the next 30 seconds.

I have slept outside (not in a tent) in -25C in the dead of winter and have slept quite well largely because of this double layer.

Another idea is to combine a lighter sleeping bag with an overbag. You can research the benefits of the overbag for handling the cold but having two bags gives you more options for sleeping confortably in the heat at lower altitudes.

Talking Re: Need Annapurna Circuit Sleeping Bag Advise

Nameste, I've done the circuit several times at that time of the year. It gets a wee bit cool at nite once you get up near Pisang and so cold at nite above Bhagra or Manang I really don't even want to get out of my warm bag at nite to relieve my poor bladder. But the good thing once the sun comes up and you get moving it's pretty bearable. Doubt you would have snow problems altho I've had them in December and January going over the pass. Wait a day or two at high camp and then shoot over the pass to Muktinach when the snow stops blowing. I use a bag rated to -20 degrees F, synthetic fill rather than down. Down is lighter but get it wet and you can see how warm it won't keep you at nite, even it it gets slightly damp. Happy trails

Thanks for all of the advice...

I went with a -12c down bag with a separate fleece liner and packing it in a water proof stuff sack.

I live in Canada, so am no stranger to cold (-35c), snow and ripping wind.

We leave in 6 weeks, but I'm raring to go today!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by affpro1234
    We leave in 6 weeks, but I'm raring to go today!!!!

I know the feeling. I leave in 5 weeks and 3 days, and feel exactly the same...
    yakshaver