Thread: Travel Insurance

Default Travel Insurance

Once again, thank you for the answers to my endless questions. This one concerns travel insurance. I've spent time on line trying to read the fine print for different policies. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    It seems there are a lot of "exclusions" for high altitude, etc. If anyone has a favorite company, please let me know.
    Peter Olander

Default Re: Travel Insurance

my credit card insurance seems to cover me adequately. don't rule it out automatically.

Try STA Travel, we used them the last time we went trekking and they cover high altitude. This year we are using the British Mountaineering Club insurance as we are members. It's quite easy and not expensive to become a member of a mountaineering club and obviously they cater well for specialized outdoor pursuits and are very competitive, actually I havent found any cheaper ones this year that offer the same amount of cover.
    Hope this is of help.
    Sally.

Beware the small print with BMC. Their insurance is provided by Fortis and although their policy is geared around the climber/trekker it is still Fortis who underwrite so they aren't there to look after British mountaineers any better than any other insurer. If you go without a guide or not with a registered agency it is likely you will not be covered. They do not cover independent trekking in Nepal (at least they didn't the last time I was there in Spring 2008). Do a search and you will see I have listed the issues with British insurers before and it is worth making sure you know exactly what cover you have and assume nothing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Personally I Now Use “Columbus” – an annual policy at around £100 so a fair price too. – It seems like a good policy and covers High Altitude trekking on recognised paths with Casivac (Causality Evacuation)

Before that I used “Direct Line” That seemed ok too – well until 2006 when I had my flight booked and paid for when the British Government slapped a warning to travellers against going to Nepal – So I rang “Direct Line” to check on my cover and was informed that if I chose to go that I would have no cover – Fair Enough – BUT they also said that I didn’t have cancelation cover either as I was cancelling of my own volition !!
    Talk about a Good Deal – For the Insurance company that is (Robbing Bastards !!)

I eventually got a refund from them for the full cost of that years policy but it then cost be a small fortune finding another insurer to cover me !!
    But at least that was better than either not going or loosing the price of my airline ticket !!!!!!!!!
    Good Luck
    Rob

Check this Danish company out - http://www.ihi.com/

There are no exclusions as advertised by the Project Himalaya trek company.

I will be using them this time around.

Escher says:
    Beware the small print with BMC. Their insurance is provided by Fortis and although their policy is geared around the climber/trekker it is still Fortis who underwrite so they aren't there to look after British mountaineers any better than any other insurer.

Thanks Escher,
    I have read over and over their small print and have found nothing about non-cover for independant trekkers, however I have just emailed them for a definate yes or no as I am pretty cynical about insurance companies so thanks for the caution. I will post their response.

From the foreign office travel advisory website

"Always use a reputable trekking company.

Take a guide"

The Fortis small print mentions adhering to FCO travel advice and not something specific about going without a guide. This was on the travel advisory the last two times I went to Nepal and both times we were not covered because of this advice there. I had a yearly policy with Snowcard which is also underwritten by Fortis (I've had BMC before and they wouldn't pay out for something else because of the small print on a previous trip so I swapped to Snowcard) but the policies are essentially the same and I was told quite specifically that we would need to take a guide and go with a reputable agency or we would not be covered. I weedled out of them that there was a $1million dollar plus claim that was made even more expensive because someone had to be evacced and they didn't have a guide which is another reason that they won't cover you depsite my many protestations about experience in the hills. I suspect if you trek without a guide you won't be covered. But this is all based on my last experience in Spring 2008 and many long conversations with the underwriter at Fortis, things may have changed but I doubt it. In the end my bank account included cover that covered me up to 3000m so we chanced it as I didn't want to take a guide. My partner took a nasty fall over 4000m (nearly plummeting to her death) so I would think twice about what I would do the next time. But unfortunately as a UK citizen the FCO advice really limits your chances of being insured and being able to trek independently. It really pees me off!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I also use ihi. And know from friends' experience that they do what is needed if something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kegarne
    Check this Danish company out - http://www.ihi.com/

There are no exclusions as advertised by the Project Himalaya trek company.

I will be using them this time around.

Might be useful for some:

ihi Bupa Travel provides 100% cover for any emergency treatment required while you are abroad. Our insurance provides cover for all medical assistance required while trekking or climbing mountains and has no altitude limits. Coverage would include accidents and any eligible medical conditions requiring treatment.

We will also pay for the cost of transportation from where you are trekking to a medical facility. Please be advised that we only pay the transportation costs and would not fund a search operation. If the transportation is not arranged by ihi Bupa then we will only reimburse the costs that ihi Bupa would have incurred had we been notified of and arranged the rescue operation.
    Straight from the horse's mouth of ihi Bupa.