Thread: ABC in Dec

Default ABC in Dec

following suggestions by helpful regulars here, we're now planning to walk the AC, then hopefully cut across to ABC.

we are landing in KTM on 15 Nov, which means we'd be doing ABC probably in early Dec.

a bloke i was speaking to the other day did the same walk last year and reckons that ABC lodges close at the end of Nov, while my guidebook says it depends on the weather and that mid-Dec is the average date for closure.

he was suggesting doing ABC first, but i'd like to do the walk in a loop, rather than in two sections. any thoughts on the odds of ABC being shut off in early Dec?

Default Re: ABC in Dec

i did twice the AC and then ABC starting in Kathmandu Nov 26th. so it sahould be no problem for you starting the 15th.
    Normally the weather is very stable. Have a downjacket and very warm sleeping bag with you.
    andrees www.nepal-dia.de

I don't think you'll have a problem with sticking with your original plan. Some lodges close, but there's always one open at least, in every location. I did the ABC in Late December and had no problem, nor did anyone else I know.
    ABC is usually a year round destination. Of course big mountains are... big mountains, anything can happen. But I would stick with the AC first, then ABC.
    yakshaver

thanks for that guys. i know have all the right equipment, down jackets, sleeping bags. cost me an arm and a leg so i say to the weather gods - bring it on!!

Quote Originally Posted by jules21
    thanks for that guys. i know have all the right equipment, down jackets, sleeping bags. cost me an arm and a leg so i say to the weather gods - bring it on!!
    Not cheap, the good stuff! Some people buy stuff in KTM much cheaper, but perhaps not the same quality guarantee... I certainly prefer the stuff I bought in Sydney, even though it is three times the price compared to Thamel.
    yakshaver

as a fully paid up tight a$$, buying stuff in Thamel has genuine appeal to me. however, the thought of being left shivering throughout the night at high camp with substandard equipment takes the gloss off that option