Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KTM -> Pokhara flight booking

Default KTM -> Pokhara flight booking

does anyone know if it is possible to book a connecting flight to Pokhara upon landing at Tribhuvan at 12pm on a Sunday (Nov 15)?

i was going to stay in KTM and move on to the AC, but i'm thinking it might just be easier to transit straight to Pokhara.

i assume you can't book these flights on the web

Default Re: KTM -> Pokhara flight booking

Quote Originally Posted by jules21
    does anyone know if it is possible to book a connecting flight to Pokhara upon landing at Tribhuvan at 12pm on a Sunday (Nov 15)?

i was going to stay in KTM and move on to the AC, but i'm thinking it might just be easier to transit straight to Pokhara.

i assume you can't book these flights on the web
    Yes you can (as B.H. Obama would say) so book flights on the web. There are several flights per day on the KTM/Pokhara route, run by a number of airlines.
    See the Yeti Airlines site below. I assume Cosmic Air, Buddha Air etc, also have their websites these days, where you can book.

You can also do it on international booking engines.
    But try the airlines own first. Prices are fairly standard, usually just a few dollars difference, so no point looking for a better deal.

http://www.yetiairlines.com/destination_kathmandu.php

Of course you can just land at Tribhuvan International and then walk over to the Domestic and just book your place on the next available flight. There should be flights in the afternoon.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 20th July 2009 at 06:36 AM.
    yakshaver

You can also book online here
    http://buddhaair.com/home.html

It is a long hike through dust and mud from International to domestic terminal. The cops won't let you into the domestic terminal without a ticket so you have to do some fast talking or print out a flight confirmation.

thanks guys. i like web bookings, removes the hassles when you've just landed and carrying all your gear, etc. i assume the prices will be the same as sold locally.

Quote Originally Posted by jules21
    thanks guys. i like web bookings, removes the hassles when you've just landed and carrying all your gear, etc. i assume the prices will be the same as sold locally.
    Indeed. As webmaster says, have a print of your booking handy (preferably in nice colour print) so that the security lets you into the domestic. Prices are indeed very similar, not matter how you book them. They may well be government regulated.
    yakshaver

There is just an important point to consider:
    you can book a flight on your own, but if your first plane is delayed, which happens very often in Kathmandu you might miss the second flight. If it is not a combined ticket issued by one company, the second company has not to refund you for a non show.
    Classical reasons for delays in Kathmandu are fog in the valley from Oktober to February and sometimes mititary landings. I had very often delays up to 3hours.
    So be shure to have a least 4 better 5 houres transit time.

I also agree with the above poster
    Unless you are on a Tight timeframe then why not spend a night, or even two or three in Kathmandu. You will then save yourself stress, money as well as the potential hassles mentioned above.
    Yet Another consideration worthy of mentioning is that (at least last I heard) to book a ticket on-line from Kathmandu to Pokhara you have to send your credit card details to the airline by open email and a Lot of people are understandably reluctant to do this (Although, in truth I have heard of several people that have used the system and reported it as having worked out ok)

So – if you do decide on the staying in Kathmandu option, you can then catch a tourist bus to Pokhara, even if you opt for the Top end Operators like Golden Travels or Greenline, you will still save a Lot of money compared to flying – and when you add up getting to the airport, checking in etc etc it doesn’t take you that much longer (About 6 hours on a good run)

The journey from Kathmandu to Pokhara is also a very scenic one and in actual fact as you are intending trekking AC you don’t even go as far as Pokhara but get off the bus 2/3 of the way at Dumre and from there either catch a local bus or taxi to Besisahar or even Bhulebhule which is another ˝ up the road and where the old trekking route splits of from the new road.
    If you need further info then you could read my blog on Nepal at
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/
    Please see the Tips Section at the bottom of the page, the transport ones might well be of interest to you
    Also please feel free to drop me a line if you need further info
    Good Luck and happy Trekking
    Rob
    Last edited by into-thin-air; 22nd July 2009 at 12:43 AM.

thanks guys.

i'm going to confess that the reason i am looking at the flight is that an 8 hour bus trip (KTM -> Besisahar, according to my guidebook) is not my cup of tea. i know the flight/bus combination is probably longer than that in total, but at least it is more diverse.

i am 6'3 and have travelled in enough buses designed for 5'5 locals to know that 8 hours of that can be very uncomfortable..

We have flown KTM-Pokhara a couple of times recently as we had a bad bus trip one day and got in quite late. You can have morning coffee in Kathmandu, go to the airport and be in Pokhara for lunch or vice-versa. Nice and relaxing and great views if you sit on the right side. (Right going to Pokhara and Left coming back)

We used to travel by Greenline bus but the frequent bandhs and road blocks make bus travel a poor option until security, etc., improves.
    * thesilvertops *

Yes – I see exactly where you are coming from, However you will still have at least a 4 hour bus journey on the local bus from Pokhara to Besisahar / Bhulebhule

Have you considered a private car ? Even if you are travelling solo it won’t work out that much more than the Kathmandu – Pokhara flight and has the added advantage of going when you want it to, so no sweating about flight delays / terminal transfers and on-line flight bookings!!
    Good luck in which ever way you decide to jump
    Rob