Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chitwan resorts shut down

Default Chitwan resorts shut down

The Nepal government has closed down all seven Chitwan resorts. Tourists now have to stay outside the park. Presumably a lot of staff have lost their jobs. I thought they wanted to promote tourism not kill it. Thank goodness we went there last year.

News report here:http://www.nepalnews.com/main/index....shut-down.html
    * thesilvertops *

Default Re: Chitwan resorts shut down

Yes, BUT - it was decided 10 years ago that the lodges that operate from
    the jungle core move out. Ten years ago these lodges said give us time and we will move out - they never did. The animals specially Rhinos and Tigers
    are moving out of the jungle because of the lodges and the human movements in the jungle core. The government has told lodges to re-settle themselves outside the jungle and carry out their operations.

Unfortunately, the government didn't consider the massive increase in poaching during the maoist troubles. I would suggest that this has had a much greater effect on wildlife numbers than the lodges. I have seen some comments from Nepal that hint that the government may allow the lodges to operate again by paying a huge increase in rent.
    * thesilvertops *

Default Press Reports on the closure of Jungle Lodges in Chitwan National Park

Tiger Tops just sent this out. It may be a similar situation for other lodges.
    Recent local press reports have announced that the government has closed down the seven lodges operating on a lease inside Chitwan National Park. This is a somewhat overblown interpretation of a letter sent by the Chief Warden advising that, until the lease renewal negotiations were completed, lodges should not operate for guests after 15th July 2009. Tiger Tops always closes for the monsoon season on environmental grounds, so the letter from the Chief Warden does not affect the pioneer safari lodge in Chitwan.

As usual, the local press did not attempt to discover our side of the story!

Negotiations for the renewal of the leases are ongoing and the trend is positive. The broad principle of renewal has been agreed with the Ministry of Forests. The Cabinet is due to take a decision in this regard shortly. Thereafter the detailed terms have to be finalised.

Tiger Tops will be ready for business, come 15th September when we re- open, after the monsoon.

Tiger Tops Tharu Lodge remains open and, since it lies outside the National Park, the letter from the Chief Warden does not apply. It is thus business as usual at Tharu Lodge, with some very good bookings over the monsoon.

We will keep you updated on any new developments.

Marcus Cotton
    Chief Executive

Hm, not surprising at all. So the media had a grain of truth, as usual - and a big load of hogwash, again as usual.
    Silly unresearched media reports appear in the "western" media routinely. Why would Nepal media be any better?
    yakshaver

Nepal government want more money thats way close it. and we are 100% sure all 7 resort will be open soon. if dosent open it will effect for nepal tourism year 2011 because chitwan is going to be hot spot for tourist so if 7 resort close then very difficulty to get room in chitwan so i suggest to nepal government to open again if dosent open then nepal government should give Compensation to resort owner and need to give another job for all staff of close resort

monterosa

This is the first I've heard of the closure of the Chitawan hotels. I've booked to stay at Tiger Tops at the end of December. Oh dear, now what? Does anyone have any updates?

Alan1973, try reading the Webmasters post dated 19th July 2009 where he says that "Tiger Tops will be ready for business, come 15th September when we re- open, after the monsoon".

Quote Originally Posted by alan1973
    This is the first I've heard of the closure of the Chitawan hotels. I've booked to stay at Tiger Tops at the end of December. Oh dear, now what? Does anyone have any updates?
    You should not have a problem.
    Read webmaster's post.
    The main problem in Nepal are rumours. And then, just because someone voiced some opinion tenuously linkd to some facts (the most dangerous form of rumour), people start believing it.
    If this ever happens (the closure of inside the park lodges) you would hear an official Government declaration followed by an imense fallout in the media. All that ever happened is that someone has reported the part of the negotiations between the lodges and the Government. Didn't even report the whole context.

You would have a great time, I hear Tiger Tops is...tops!
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver
    You should not have a problem.
    Read webmaster's post. The main problem in Nepal are rumours.
    Thanks, yakshaver and a1jbg...I appreciate your comments. I feel more optimistic now. I've visited Nepal four times, beginning in 1973, but haven't made it to Tiger Tops before and am really looking forward to it.