Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepal Travel Warning: more info from U.S. State Dept

Default Re: Nepal Travel Warning: more info from U.S. State Dept

i need to purchase travel insurance for my upcoming Annapurna triek. this has been a useful discussion. ta guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvester
    There are limitations. Here is what my extended medical coverage policy says. This is quoted from the "exclusions section of the policy"
    In this exclusion, “illness, injury or medical condition” means any illness, injury or medical condition that is attributable to the reason for which the travel advisory or formal notice was issued or any complications arising therefrom.
    Me, being an optimist, would try to use the bolded-part (but would be wise to check :-)). If a travel advisory is issued due to political unrest and your injury is due to slipping on mountain trail far away from any political disturbances, I would say that your injury is not attributable to the reason for which the travel advisory is issued for.

Now, if there are complications with evacuation due to political unrest and because of that your health situation deteriorates to the point that very expensive treatment/measures are needed, the "complications arising thereform" can catch you...

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    “illness, injury or medical condition” means any illness, injury or medical condition that is attributable to the reason for which the travel advisory or formal notice was issued or any complications arising therefrom.

Me, being an optimist, would try to use the bolded-part (but would be wise to check :-)). If a travel advisory is issued due to political unrest and your injury is due to slipping on mountain trail far away from any political disturbances, I would say that your injury is not attributable to the reason for which the travel advisory is issued for.

Having tried to make a claim before I am not an optimist! I asked specifically about what you are talking about and I was told categorically that an injury in the mountains would not be covered despite the wording being the same and me explaining that exact scenario. There have been some very expensive claims made by some people (around a million dollars apparently) where rescue was difficult because the Maoists had a bandh on and pilots were not allowed to fly. The insurers are very wary of this so don't assume anything. They aren't going to pay out a large claim if they can get out of it. That is how insurance works. I am talking UK insurers here, so I don't know the situation elsewhere but I suspect all the insurers are aware of the very large claims that have been made recently and also the amount of helicopter rescues that go on. In peak season you will see choppers several times a day taking people out. Speculation of whether they will pay out or not is just that. How you personally interpret policy wording may not be the same as theirs. The only way to find out is to ask them specific questions. I did and didn't get the answers I wanted. I went anyway I just wasn't insured. But I think us discussing what we think is getting everyone precisely nowhere. You either ask for clarification or you risk it and you may be be in for a hefty bill.

But still they might not fly without guaranteed payment so it is foolish to always assume that you will be rescued whatever insurance you have. Have a backup plan (i.e. be prepared to get yourself out) as it is Nepal and not the Alps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Escher
    it is foolish to always assume that you will be rescued whatever insurance you have. Have a backup plan (i.e. be prepared to get yourself out) as it is Nepal and not the Alps.
    That sums it up neatly. We never even considered we could be air lifted out from a trek in Nepal or India. The conditions for rescue is a good reason to be cautious, not trek alone over high passes, etc. If one is hurt help is often far away and difficult to get.

I made a claim, when I had to fly my son out. Backed it up by documentation and doctor's certificate from CIWEC or some such.

Insurance paid for the flight (about 1400 USD) and the doctor fee of 100 USD. No problem. However there was not talk about Maoists interfering or anyting.

Fully agree with Escher on the point that you need to pay the rescue flight upfront in cash or credit card. Else the will not fly to rescue you. Simple as that and there's no point arguing.

They will fly only if you have an agent in KTM that the rescue flight people trust. in turn the agent in KTM must trust that you'll pay them when you get back to KTM.

But don't bank on that. Have enough cash with you, or on you credit card limit.
    yakshaver

at the end of the day, if i have to pay $2,000 to get myself out of serious trouble i'll cough it up and negotiate with insurers later. presumably they'll refund it, if they agree it's covered by the agreed terms. if not, it's "life experience"

Quote Originally Posted by jules21
    at the end of the day, if i have to pay $2,000 to get myself out of serious trouble i'll cough it up and negotiate with insurers later. presumably they'll refund it, if they agree it's covered by the agreed terms. if not, it's "life experience"
    They should pay. They did for me. But I guess you have to make sure you cover your "documentary evidence". If you evacuated due to medical issues, then seeing a doctor immediately you're in Pokhara or Kathmandu, and getting a medical certificate, is key.

Pokhara has a relatively good private hospital, funded by the Indian government, where interns gain their experience... You pay something, not much. The issue with things some of the altitude ailments (including the combination of altitude sickness and diahhorea) that my son had - is that they can all of a sudden dissapear once you're back in some less trying environment. I had to make sure the CIWEC doctor wrote in the certificate stuff that would be convincing for the insurer, even though my son no longer had the symptoms from a day before, which prompted the decision to evacuate. But after paying 100 USD for the visit, I guess she felt obliged to... oblige. She was adivsed by the trekking agency in KTM of our arrival, and came to the hotel in the evening. She was quite nice actually. Canadian.
    yakshaver

all good advice YS, that will be carefully heeded. incidentally, i was reading my credit card (St George) travel insurance policy today and i have come to the conclusion that it's pretty good - offering unlimited medical care.

i don't expect anyone to read through the fine print (at the bottom of the linked page, if anyone is genuinely interested), but does anyone have any experience with credit card travel insurance? as far as i can tell, this is the real deal, i can't see any loopholes.

My Westpac Visa Gold is underwritten by Zurich Insurance. I checked with Westpac before I left and they assured me everything will be ok. I claimed and they paid. The other time I had to claim, on an unrelated matter, was with QBE. They were pretty good as well. Again, documentary evidence seemed to be important.
    yakshaver

Mine covered me only below 2800m and had a specific exclusion to do with travel advisories. It would be those things that I would look for in the policy details.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher