Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepal Travel Warning: more info from U.S. State Dept

Default Nepal Travel Warning: more info from U.S. State Dept

as if the post below wasn't enough. comments?

Current Travel Warnings
    Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff. The countries listed below meet those criteria.
    Nepal 05/22/2009

and this:

Mon, 2009-06-01 02:14
    Kosh Raj Koirala – Asian Tribune Correspondent in Nepal
    Kathmandu, 01 June, (Asiantribune.com): The Christian community in Nepal on Sunday held a rally in the capital city Kathmandu against the bomb attack in a Roman Catholic Church in Lalitpur district last week.

The rally was staged in Maitighar Mandala, the down town of the capital city, demanding that the government form a high level investigation committee to probe bomb explosion and book the guilty behind the gruesome act.

At least two persons were killed and 14 others injured Saturday morning when a pressure-cooker bomb went off inside a Catholic church at Dhobighat, Lalitpur, on May 23. The death toll in the bomb explosion reached to three with one more victim died on Sunday while undergoing treatment at a local hospital.

Default Re: Nepal Travel Warning: more info from U.S. State Dept

The bombing of the Catholic Church in Patan (I did not know about it, I am busily looking though news stuff....) is very sad indeed. Pressure cooker bombings have happend in the past in Nepal, unfortunately. Not often, but it seems to be the "weapon of choice" in times of unrest.

In terms of the US State Department warnings (usually mindlessly mirrored by the Australian Foreign Affairs Travel Advisory), their credibility with events in Nepal is zero.
    They kept warning people not to go there for years and years, or only go if absolutely necessary (which is me, I am addicted, so I find it absolutely necessary to go trekking in Nepal...).

The major problem with the US State Department warnings about Nepal is similar to the problem the doomsayers who predict the end of the world have: eventually it may happen. But you lose a lot of credibitily in the meantime, when you bark out dire warnings at every oportunity. No one trusts you anymore.

During unrests in the past, turists have been inconvenienced every now and then (like with bandths etc), a few have been even roughed up when they refused to pay "donations" on treks to Maoists, or engaged into stupid political debates with them... But in general one felt quite safe as a tourist and could conduct one's activities without much of a problem. Nepalis in general have a friendly attitude to visitors.
    Tourists were not targeted. I don't think they are targeted now. (I know this is a very selfish perspective, but it is all I have. We debated this issue at nauseam in years past...)
    This does not mean the situation cannot change, and you need to follow the events in Nepal, and talk to trustworty locals.

My Manaslu trek is definitely on. I see no reason to change anything at this stage.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 2nd June 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    yakshaver

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

travel warnings are just govts covering their liability exposure, they're not intended to really help tourists with accurate and balance information.

travel warnings are just govts covering their liability exposure, they're not intended to really help tourists with accurate and balance information.
    True, but in EU countries travel insurance is not valid if the embassy has issued a "don't go" travel warning. This means that tour companies will not operate trips to the affected country.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster
    True, but in EU countries travel insurance is not valid if the embassy has issued a "don't go" travel warning. This means that tour companies will not operate trips to the affected country.
    Yes, that's probably the biggest issue. Also I think individuals may have problems. I remember Oli, or someone else from the UK having some issues with insurance one or two years ago.
    yakshaver

i know that common sense and insurance don't always mix well, but i'd hope that if i broke a leg somewhere high in the himalayas, my insurance company wouldn't try and weasel out of covering the chopper ride on the basis that marxists were causing trouble in KTM.

I never had any problmes, buying my insurance in Australia. I guess webmaster is talking about tour operators who send groups into Nepal.
    yakshaver

There are limitations. Here is what my extended medical coverage policy says. This is quoted from the "exclusions section of the policy"

24. Illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract in a specific country, region or area for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade of the Canadian Government has issued a travel advisory or formal notice, before your day of departure advising Canadians not to travel to a specific country, region or area. If the Canadian Government issues a travel advisory or formal notice to leave that specific country, region or area, after your date of departure, your coverage for illness, injury or medical condition is limited to a period of 10 days from the date the advisory was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary to safely evacuate the country, region or area. In this exclusion, “illness, injury or medical condition” means any illness, injury or medical condition that is attributable to the reason for which the travel advisory or formal notice was issued or any complications arising therefrom.

Based on this I would say Jules is correct, however best to check your coverage. The first thing all insurance companies do is check for exclusions. I am not sure what the last part "arising therefrom" would be.

It was me that had the problem. UK insurers will not cover you if the travel advisory says don't travel. The GB travel advisory stated that you had to go with an organised group and a registered guide, this meant you couldn't trek independently and be covered. Not knowing or finding out later is not an excuse they have general policy wording that states that you should check before you go. My experience with British insurers is that they will stick to the absolute letter of the rules and would indeed make you pay if you needed rescue. In fact most of the pilots in Nepal won't evacuate you if you can't prove you are insured. IME it is wishful thinking to think the insurers will cover you if you aren't properly covered. Evcauation especially medical evac can cost many 100,000's of dollars. I have had many long and varied conversations with several different insurers about this. I would definitely not travel and assume my cover covers me unless I am 100% sure and have had it confirmed in writing. Don't say you haven't been warned!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher