Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to trek in July/August

Default Re: Where to trek in July/August

I was interested to read your recommendation of the AC in July. I'm planning my second trek - to AC, and was considering Oct-Nov as I thought that was the optimal time to do it, not realising that it's also worth doing in the monsoon time.

Having visited Bali and Singapore in monsoon time, I would have thought you'd avoid trekking during monsoon like the plague. Sorry for dumb questions, but do you have to worry about leaches or mosquitos - or is it too high for that?

I like the idea of not dealing with very cold temperatures. So in July, what ARE the temps like in the day and night? Is the AC humid and rainy in the day? It's not too hot and uncomfortable for trekking?

Seeing the mountains in another season, as you say verdant with flowers sounds like a nice change from parts of the EBC trek, which were spectacular, but at times harsh and dry.

[QUOTE=yakshaver]Ladakh would be a good destination.

So would the Annapurna Circuit, or most of it anyway. From about Dharapani to Marpha, or Dana, it is sheltered from the worst of the Monsoon by the Himalayas.

But you may have done the AC. I did it both in Dec 05 and in July 06, and I found July to be a lot better. Nice and green, flowers, excellent views for the middle 12 days of the trek. Fantastic. If I ever go there again, this would be the time for me....QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by nikky
    but do you have to worry about leaches or mosquitos - or is it too high for that?
    Depends on the area and the altitude and how you access the trekking area.

In the past, e.g., when the first 8000m peaks were climbed, there were hardly any roads in Nepal, Hunt´s expedition set off for Everest from the road head at Bhaktapur. To get to the foot of Everest you had to trek two weeks through the middle hills, same for Annapurna. So, there were a lot of epics about the trek out, leeches, washed away bridges, etc, when they left the mountain in early June.

It is not much fun to trek on low altitude, in the middle hills, during the monsoon, either it is steaming hot or plenty of torrential rain, leeches, mosquitoes, flash floods, land slides, etc. But up in the high mountains it is much better. There are no leeches, and less rain, I have been in Manang three summers, there is rain shadow, but occasional showers, but I can say I had much worse general weather in Switzerland in June. I have also trekked to Lantang and Khumbu during monsoon, and had a splendid time.

During the monsoon it is much warmer than during other seasons so you can go quite high with a minimum of equipement. In the so called trekking season you would need gear for arctic temperature. Can particularly recommend Tilicho http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Mesokantola/Tilicholake.html and the Hidden Valley http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Hiddenval...ampusPass.html.

Some things to think about: i) chose a trek with rain shadow, avoid south facing basins (e.g., avoid ABC), ii) chose a trek with a short walk in so you get up on altitude quickly, and iii) leave margines for disastrous torrential rain in your plans. Every monsoon there are one or two dreadful downpours. Then, it is best to simply stay put for a day or two, til it is over, and one need to be able to do that without missing a flight back to work, or whatever.

Wow Per, This is gold!

Thanks so much for your reply, the tips on selecting the trek and the fantastic links. You've really done some research and travelling. It'll take me at least a week to digest it - and that's just the Tilicho Lake site. The Hidden Valley sounds really interesting. But probably too much for a single traveller to take on. The Annapurna is a whole new area for me to learn about and these links should give me enough info to decide whether to go around Oct, or July. Thanks again.

Per, what a wonderful explanation you provided - very helpful !

Can you please answer my following two questions with "yes" or "no" [i'm sorry for asking such type of answer but i'm still confused]

[1] i.Annapurna Circuit - 1st week of June [starting time]
    ii.Annapurna Circuit - 15th of June [starting time]

[2] i.Everest Base Camp - 1st week of June [starting time]
    ii. Everest Base Camp - 15th of June [starting time]

If any one of the above is not possible during the mentioned time, Tilcho is still there

Thanks for your time!

Hello,

I throw in a similar questin.
    I was in Ladakh last year in August and it was absolutely perfect! Good weather, not crowded!
    Therefore we decided to travel to Nepal this year. Can anybody give me advice about trekking around Dhaulagiri during August? Unfortunatelly this is the only month at my disposal and I'm afraid of monsoon.

Thanx for any advice!

Tereza

you can go to annapurna short trekking
    Last edited by yakshaver; 29th May 2009 at 09:04 AM.

Having "done" Manaslu around (not, snow problems) and NarPhu & Tilicho north pass just recently (+ ABC & EBC as desserts, total of 52 days on foot), we started to plan for the next "big one": Bhulbule to Koto along the AC, NarPhu, 5 day wilderness trek to Mustang from there and then to Dolpa. This would take about 42 days. What is best: it can be done during July-August during our normal holiday period. Would have to be full camping style and cost maybe close to 3000€ partly because of high permit fees.

Quote Originally Posted by sbatabyal
    Can you please answer my following two questions with "yes" or "no" [i'm sorry for asking such type of answer but i'm still confused]

[1] i.Annapurna Circuit - 1st week of June [starting time]
    ii.Annapurna Circuit - 15th of June [starting time]

[2] i.Everest Base Camp - 1st week of June [starting time]
    ii. Everest Base Camp - 15th of June [starting time]

If any one of the above is not possible during the mentioned time, Tilcho is still there
    Sorry for not answering sooner, have not been in here for a while. The answers two both questions are no, i.e., it is possible to do either in June. If weather is the main factor, everything else equal, I would recommend AC, as you get into rain shadow much sooner, the walk in to EBC from Jiri is much longer. On the AC you will be in rain shadow after just a couple of days. From Jiri it will take five days before you are even in Namche.

Hiking during the monsoon you have to allow for considerable flexibility, you must leave space for a really disastrous torrential rain, there are at least one every monsoon. Then, you must have the time to stay put for a day or two waiting it out without missing a flight home, etc.

I should add that so far we have never had a day when we have not been able to trek. But, it is a worst case scenario that you have to take into account. On the other hand one year I had three days of drizzle in Manang. It was not bad there, kind of like normal English or Scandinavian summer weather, but when I went down there had been several landslides, in the Kali Gandaki gorge the normal trail could not be used, had to go on the other side of the river and when I got to Pokhara I learned that that particular rain storm had caused enormous damage, some villages had been buried under mud, thousands of people were dear or homeless, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Per; 2nd June 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Per ! will try AC then...wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sbatabyal
    Thanks Per ! will try AC then...wish me luck!
    I have done AC in July 06, and enjoyed it a lot. Only a little bit of rain at lower elevations. From Chame to Jomsom had nice mild weather with excellent views. The village life around Manang/Jharkot etc, is quite different in Summer vs Winter.
    yakshaver