Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Delhi questions

Default Re: Delhi questions

Got another Delhi question:

we will be there for 3 days the end of May before our Kailash trek. I read on several websites including cdc.gov that Malaria prophylaxe is recommended even for Delhi. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I read on several websites including cdc.gov that Malaria prophylaxe is recommended even for Delhi. What do you guys think?
    If you are really scrounging it, spending your nights on the pavement next to pools of standing water it makes some sense, though from what I understand dengue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever) should be a larger concern. If you are not going to sleep in the streets, but indoors in a reasonable hotel with fan or AC forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kolobar
    There is a hotel on the airport itself next to domestic terminal.
    There are few hotels on the main road from Delhi to airport about 10 minutes by taxi from the airport. The price should be about 50usd minimum. But the area doas not offer much beside a night in a bed. I dont use either of them but should not be difficult to find out about it browsing.
    It might me worth going further to the city (approx.45 minutes by taxi). but it depends on how much time you have. Coming out of the airport takes more than an hour, another 45 min. drive to the city. You have to be back 1,5h before the flight which including the drive will take 2 more hours. Also mind that there can be considerable difference if you drive in/out of Delhi in the middle of the night (30minutes) or during traffic congestion.
    Also there is not much fun in Delhi after 11pm beside going to fancy&pricy hotels for drink.
    Common areas to stay in Delhi are Main Bazar, Connaught Place or Karol Bagh. Main Bazar is a sort of Thamel (much noisier), Connaught is the center with plenty of shops, restaurants, Karol Bagh (Channa Market) is quiet but has some good restaurants.
    We have an 11 hour layover in Delhi on the way to KTM. Does anyone know anything about the in-airport hotel (rates), mentioned above, or will we be better off hanging at the airport. Where's the best place to sleep in the Delhi airport these days.

BTW, how's the air quality in Delhi now? I was last there around 1996, but I've heard it's much better now. TIA, Alan.