Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: safe to trek alone ?

Default Re: safe to trek alone ?

I have read up a bit more on this and it seems he died from misadventure.
    An accidental fall maybe where he hit his head or injured himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kegarne View Post
    I have read up a bit more on this and it seems he died from misadventure.
    An accidental fall maybe where he hit his head or injured himself.
    Yes, and probably most do, who end up in trouble - they fall, hit their head, sprain an ankle whatever. The point is, they can get immobilised somewhere off the trail. Ultimately it does not matter if you die of an injury, or some criminal activity. You are dead.
    That is why, if you are with someone, at least you can get some immediate help. I remember when Kunda Dixit, after finding his brother still alive on the AC trek, (he's fallen off the trail and was not found for 3 or 4 days) campaigning hard, through his articles, for trekkers not to travel alone.
    yakshaver

Well that is the way it goes, people take risks and you accept the consequences of those risks. It's like any form of gambling, the greater the risk the greater the reward and this young guy wanted to trek in a wilderness area. He probably didn't want to trek alone, but I can imagine no one would have wanted to go with him. He probably didnt have the money for a guide so made a decision to have a go himself.

IMO it is less safe to trek in Nepal alone but it is not unsafe and the risks are magnified when you go off the beaten track. However the joy of doing something special is the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by kegarne View Post
    Well that is the way it goes, people take risks and you accept the consequences of those risks. It's like any form of gambling, the greater the risk the greater the reward and this young guy wanted to trek in a wilderness area. He probably didn't want to trek alone, but I can imagine no one would have wanted to go with him. He probably didnt have the money for a guide so made a decision to have a go himself.

IMO it is less safe to trek in Nepal alone but it is not unsafe and the risks are magnified when you go off the beaten track. However the joy of doing something special is the reward.
    Yes, I agree...
    (The system did not let me write simply "agree". I had to lengthen it past 10 characters. Well, there you have it.)
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver View Post
    Interpretation of statistical data emphasises not using an individual data point (experience of some individual) in drawing some sweeping conclusion about some matter, e.g. the question if trekking alone is safe?
    First the question might be wrong, but that is not my issue.
    The issue is that all people who have been reported as missing while trekking in Nepal over the last 15-20 years or so (at least since I have become involved with trekking there) have been by themselves, when they absconded...
    I do agree with you. I would never go to isolated or dengerous areas without companion and even in most populated trekking routes it is safer to trek with somebody. But is it safe to trek alone? Yes it is safe, as safe as driving a car. An other guestion should be, is it safe to trek with unexperienced guide or even with experienced guide that have other agendas than you safety?

A recent announcement by Nepal's Ministry of Home Affairs had threatened a ban on tourists wanting to trek alone in any part of the country. But the decision has now been delayed as a review takes place. It is the BMC's understanding that a ban on solo trekkers in Langtang continues to apply.

Because its quite risky to go alone on treking, as it is not safe , specially for girls... A recent news says that a 23-year-old had set out alone to complete the well-known trek to the sacred Gosaikunda Lakes and was later found beheaded, though both rape and robbery seem to have been ruled out.
    On two separate occasions late last year foreign women were attacked while trekking alone in Langtang, and two years ago a young American female completely disappeared in this region.

Unfortunately, over the years several popular areas of Nepal have developed a reputation for mugging or worse, Gosaikunda and the Helambu region immediately south being one, the tail end of the Annapurna Circuit from Ghorapani onwards another.It's estimated that more than 40% of foreign visitors to Nepal come to trek, and the vast majority of these go to the Annapurna, Langtang, Helambu or Khumbu regions, for which no fee-paying "trekking permit" is needed .
    Trekkers also need to pay conservation area permits and national park entrance fees.

The new policy, which was slated to come into effect in September, would require solo trekkers or FITs (Free Independent Trekkers) to take at least one local support staff, either a guide or porter.

Where are you getting your information. There has not been nor is there a ban on solo trekking in Langtang. Of course the question is moot now as the Langtang area is mostly destroyed and not suitable for trekking in any case.

IMO the likelihood of mandatory quides be imposed is small as everyone realizes that Nepal will be in desperate need of tourist $$ and if that requirement is imposed/coerced many trekkers will choose not to come to Nepal.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ray View Post
    Where are you getting your information. There has not been nor is there a ban on solo trekking in Langtang. Of course the question is moot now as the Langtang area is mostly destroyed and not suitable for trekking in any case.

IMO the likelihood of mandatory quides be imposed is small as everyone realizes that Nepal will be in desperate need of tourist $$ and if that requirement is imposed/coerced many trekkers will choose not to come to Nepal.
    Roger_Ray, I think it is pretty likely that Gracy12 is a spambot, there are many of the typical signs. If they come back to explain themselves, I apologise and they can fill you in. But if they don't and that's quite likely I will delete their posts (there are more than one all posted today but currently hidden) as it's spambot irrelevant rubbish.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Escher, thanks, Roger

Exclamation Re: safe to trek alone ?

It is safe to trek alone in Nepal but i suggest better not to trek alone in any country not only in Nepal. Because anything can happen when you travel alone so you must have a partner or a guide. If you meet some accident during the trek when you trek alone who would be there to help you so better not to trek alone in any nation.