Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: safe to trek alone ?

Default Re: safe to trek alone ?

Its Great suggestion already. Its safe to trek in major Trekking Route like EBC, ABC, Langtan, Manasolu, Mustang Etc. But some of the trek like Ganesh himal is not safe to trek alone. So you are fine to trek as you planned.
    You can fine many trekking agencies in kathmandu and Pokhara. They may offer varieties of trekking services, programs, Guides, Porter etc. So take it easy.
    Have a nice Trek.
    Raj

---I think statistically more people get in trouble with guides than w/o. Set itineraries and the need to keep up with a group lead you to go beyond what really should.

I think it unlikely that you'll be able to produce reliable statistics to prove that hypothesis. TAAN or NTB might have some data but I would expect that would contradict your assertion and show guided groups are the safer. Also consider that having a guide does not mean that you have to trek in a group with a difficult schedule. And your own guide will be far more dependable than trusting your luck with random trekkers met in Kathmandu or on the trail.

My opinion on this would be to say that solo trekkers have a higher risk of serious misadventure, but conversely large organised groups are more likely to resort to a helicopter evacuation, however the evidence is rather anecdotal. I am fairly confident in saying that a small guided group is the safest and most pleasurable mode of trekking.

Perhaps in terms of AMS alone i'd be prepared to back famous foots theory.
    Most set agency itineraries (for say Khumbu) are a day or two too fast for the average punter. Less days on the trail = more profit for the organiser.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Yes I agree with Oli!!Its one of the right vision. So all trekkers need to avoid solo and huge group trekking like 10/20 pax.
    Good luck and have a safe trekking

Yes, Rich, I would tend to agree with you there, (hence my comment on agency led groups increasing tendency to resort to helicopter rescue). But bear in mind that this thread is concerned with the safety of solo trekking, not the problems associated with large/agency groups.

Another consideration would be that changes in disposition and ataxia (particularly gait ataxia) are important indicators of HACE, and notoriously difficult to self-diagnose. A solo trekker does not have the benefit of a group looking out for the symptoms.

Ram
    I have recently completed the Everest base camp trek and can say that the best advice I can give is get a guide.

The best guide I found was a gentleman called Ram Magar he is based with cold feet trekking company in Thamel Kathmandu. The link to their site is http://www.coldfeetadventure.com/

This really is a great guide he will meet you at Lukla so you do not need to pay for his flight which means the overall guide cost is cheaper. The main thing is he is a family man and very trust worthy I still keep in touch with him now.

if you are doing this trek get a guide he will definitely get you through check points with no worries, give you all the history on the route,take pictures of you, tell you about all the other landmarks and mountains on the way, he’ll keep an eye on you for altitude sickness and have emergency contact for helicopter etc, and most of all know the best route for you.
    Ram really is a great guy and I totally trusted him with my self and my belongings the whole trip, please email me for pics etc.

Cold feet was the most price competitive but also the best service! I checked!

Trek safe
    Dan Gillard Somerset,UK

Any question about my trek or pointers you may require email me on dan.gillard@yahoo.co.uk

Everythings depend on how many experience you have and how good are you with people and also like previous comments told not to look expensive just in case, you will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by TreckMyTrack View Post
    Everythings depend on how many experience you have and how good are you with people and also like previous comments told not to look expensive just in case, you will never know.
    Agree, not look expensive. I look and feel cheap... Leave my Patek Phillippe watch, my Ermenegildo Zegna suit, my Dolge & Gabanna sunglasses and my Gucci shoes at home.
    On trek I only wear rubbish like Hugo Boss, and Salvatore Ferregammo and the like. Does not attract the attention of thieves or the Luscious Yeti woman.
    yakshaver

As well as not looking expensive, it also helps to not smell expensive. I leave all my Chanel and David Beckham cologne in Kathmandu for safekeeping, and then barely wash at all on the trek. I never struggle to get a private room even in peak season.