Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: brother is missing

Default Re: brother is missing

Thanks for the update Matt. Good to see the word is out.
    cheers,
    Dave

The story so far;
    Greg, Julian's Brother in law, Lee who was originally with Julian, two experienced guides and two police men, (not sure how far the police intend to trek) are currently retracing Julian's movements. They are curently in Gokyo, where on day 1, they will trek up the two valleys to the North from the high camp, just below the west side of the Cho La. Then go on to Cho La, day 2 focusing on the Northen side of the pass and the ice fall on that same side. There is a new, rocky trail to the North of the small lake at the top of Cho La, and Julian might not have returned to the Southern (right) side of the glacier, if the trail wasn't clear. Day 3 they will pass the Cho La glacier, tracing the newer trail to Gokyo as well as the older one. Day 4 they will trek the glacial valley leading South to Na from High camp, on the west side of Gokyo.
    We also now know that Julian returned to the Lodge at Dragnag/tagnag on the night of the 22nd after seperating from Lee, Julian told the owner that he was heading to Portse the next day. I would like to know if he left alone, and who else was staying at the Lodge.
    I've not heard of any other trekkers missing.

A huge thankyou to everyone for all the help and advice offerred, keep it coming!

Rachael

No probs, if theres anything i can do from Kathmandu, just let me know as i'll be here a while.

I didnt realise there was a search on until i got back here, i hope the two who are up there have a tent, otherwise it will be hard work as Thangnak is close now.

When i arrived in namche on the 16th a police man sort of told me a man was missing, but he made it sound like it had been over a month and just generally said he might be somewhere in the Gokyo region, and that the police had already looked for him. We kept an eye out across the pass for the 'three europeans' we'd been told went missing on the pass just recently, but i think we were looking in the wrong places.

Best of luck though.

Hi Rachael,
    Just wondering why the search party is concentrating around the Cho La when you have reported that Julien returned to and stayed at Dragnag again and was heading down to Portse the next day? This would indicate that he was intending to go down and either head around to Lobuje (and meet Ian) or back to Namche.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Sorry..to meet Lee..not Ian..daydreaming..
    Wher did the information that Julien had returned to the lodge at dragnag come from? Is it considered reliable?
    dave

The owner of the lodge at Dragnag emailed me with the information that Julian had returned there that evening 7pm 22nd Dec after setting off at 7am 22nd Dec with Lee with the intention to cross the Cho La pass, and Julian told the owner he planned to go to Portse the next day.
    Unfortunately I cannot contact the search party now, no phones or internet, which is so frustrating. I only recieved this information today, although I believe that the owner of the lodge (Which I think is now closed) is related to one of the guides in the search party.

There is now a poster in Nepali on the website www.findjuw.org.uk for any guides/trekkers who would be so kind to print off posters to distribute. Thankyou

Rachael

It is a logical choice to go down to phortse.
    The trail from Dragnak to phortse is very remote and sometimes rather dangerous. I dont think that in this season there are many people living in the area. Most of them would go to lower villages during december and January.

Sometimes the trail is very smal an high above valle and you can easely fall down for mor than 50 m. I think it is quite possible that Julian had an accident there and can not come further by his own means. But he might still survive even in Januar in a sort of shelter.
    He might also have taken refuge in one of the houses/stables on the way, for example if he would have broken his legs.

I not sure, that one could find him just looking from the trail. if he would have fallen down the ravine he might be not able to climb u again thus try to flolow the river at the bottom of the valley.

so most important would be, to ask people in Phortse, if they have seen Julian. The trail from Phortse to Pangboche can also be dangerous in Winter, so he might have also slipped on this part.

Lets hoppe that Julian is found fast.
    Last edited by andrees; 27th January 2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrees
    It is a logical choice to go down to phortse.
    The trail from Dragnak to phortse is very remote and sometimes rather dangerous. I dont think that in this season there are many people living in the area. Most of them would go to lower villages during december and January.

Sometimes the trail is very smal an high above valle and you can easely fall down for mor than 50 m. I think it is quite possible that Julian had an accident there and can not come further by his own means. But he might still survive even in Januar in a sort of shelter.
    He might also have taken refuge in one of the houses/stables on the way, for example if he would have broken his legs.

I not sure, that one could find him just looking from the trail. if he would have fallen down the ravine he might be not able to climb u again thus try to flolow the river at the bottom of the valley.

so most important would be, to ask people in Phortse, if they have seen Julian. The trail from Phortse to Pangboche can also be dangerous in Winter, so he might have also slipped on this part.

Lets hoppe that Julian is found fast.
    Agree. It seems that Phortse is the next "port of call" for the investigation. And based on information or lack thereoff in Phortse, perhaps re-tracing the trail to Dragnak while payng attention to all the more difficult areas.
    But there are still a lot of unknowns and assumptions at this stage - so an open mind is still required so that other avenues of investigation are not closed.
    yakshaver

Hi,

The news that Julian went back to Dragnak is quite important, i agree with dave on checking its validity, although it seems like an unlikely thing to get confused about. Is it possible to check the order book and compare handwriting, because nobody would stay there two nights running normally? If you can prove that he stayed there for 2 nights 100%, it may discount a lot of other areas of the search, ie the north.

I'd assume the aussies (oli) that he may have walked back with would have gone on to Gokyo if they did the pass by lunch? What time did Lee say he saw the three of them leave from the top of the pass? A return from cho la in 12 hours just seems a very long time. You could prob walk all the way over the pass to labouche in that time.

I've spoken to a few people here who seem to think that the tourist board should have information through TIMS and the gate register for trekkers nationalities and time of entry. I'd assume over any three week period at this time of year that the number of aussies entering the park would be below 10, so they should be able to get some names together. Can anyone confirm they were Aussies? Perhaps from Lee when he next gets back in touch? I'll go down and see if they can help at TIMS HQ.

I've also been told by sherpas that the Na to Phortse track was good and safe (Kamzang). Did julian have a map? If so which brand, as they all have slightly different routes marked out.

m

Thanks matt,
    I can only go with the info that the Lodge owner at Dragnak has told me, that Julian did return there at 7pm after leaving from there in the morning, and that he was surprised to see him. He said he asked Julian if he felt ok, as he knew Julian had intended to cross the Cho La pass, Julian said that he was fine and that he didn't want to cross.
    Lee has said that the other two trekkers he spoke to as he ascended the Cho La pass were either Australian or New Zealanders, definately not locals.
    I would be most gratefull if you can gain any information Matt from TIMS HQ, someone did say that the Tims may not provide us much information as Julian would have had an independent class ? unsure of this.
    Thanks again
    Rachael