Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Trekking in the old days

Default Re: Trekking in the old days

Looks to be Annapurna South in the distance

I'll copy some of the Everest and Kathmandu slides next

These photos are from a trek to Everest base camp in early 1971.

Namche..

another...

the difference is rather staggering...

Lobuje....

From Thyangboche..

Pheriche..

Khumbu glacier

Another of Lobuje

From the newly opened Japanese Hotel above Namche

Thame

Great old pics

Junbesi

Lamjura Pass I think

1965: Snapshots of a bygone era

- Bill Hanson,

Feb 27, 2016
    Photographs, like good wine, only get better with time. I first came to Nepal through the Peace Corps in 1965. My father, at the time, worked for the Eastman Kodak Company, commonly known as just Kodak, and had given me a small camera to document my experiences. These pictures are snapshots from my stay in Nepal from 50 years ago, when I worked as a community worker with the then Village Panchayat at Bandipur and from the various treks and outings I was able to partake in during my time here. I have to admit, I am not a professional photographer, and these photographs, like haikus, have merely frozen a bygone era into visual memories.

Over this weekend, I will be exhibiting these images in the age-old alleyways and courtyards of Bandipur. The stand-alone photographs will not be accompanied by captions describing the action. What I hope the pictures do instead is spark conversations among the residents-"Isn't that his grandpa?", "Didn't that family emigrate to the States 20 years ago?" and the likes. The residents will be able to keep the photographs of their relatives if they choose to do so, the rest, I hope, will find a spot in the cafes and hotels of the town. Because, in the end, photographs, like all memories, stay alive through conversations and nostalgic reverie.

Check the nostalgic photos on the website of the Kathmandu Post:

http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/n...ygone-era.html

I visited Nepal some time ago (before the earthquake). It was quite good actually. Such a beautiful historic city. Listed in top 25 tourist destinations in the world recently by Tripadvisor. It might not have been as good as it was some time ago. But I guess I will never know. Lets hope they will make a better Kathmandu and Nepal. Will be back soon for my second trip.

I've just come across this thread and specifically a comment about when trekking opened up on the Annapurna Circuit. i set off on the 3rd October 1979 from Dumre but do recall that the route was open at least a year or so before then. We camped. There were very few trekkers on the route, no teashops apart from one in Manang where I seem to recall one of the few provisions available were tins of Chinese pickled walnuts. We walked from Manang to Thorung Phedi in a day and then went across Thorung La the next day. Totally against the rules these days and not without reason. We know far more about the effects of altitude these days than we did then. No snow at all across the pass. Coming down the Kali Gandaki was completely different with a lot more trekkers and teashops. We walked into Pokhara and camped at the Lakeside. A few lodges and small restaurants. The Phewa Hotel (now Mike's) was there and the Snowland opposite the boating ramp and, of course, the Annapurna Hotel opposite the airport. A grass strip at the time and the waiting lounge was under the big tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    I've just come across this thread and specifically a comment about when trekking opened up on the Annapurna Circuit. i set off on the 3rd October 1979 from Dumre but do recall that the route was open at least a year or so before then. We camped. There were very few trekkers on the route, no teashops apart from one in Manang where I seem to recall one of the few provisions available were tins of Chinese pickled walnuts. We walked from Manang to Thorung Phedi in a day and then went across Thorung La the next day. Totally against the rules these days and not without reason. We know far more about the effects of altitude these days than we did then. No snow at all across the pass. Coming down the Kali Gandaki was completely different with a lot more trekkers and teashops. We walked into Pokhara and camped at the Lakeside. A few lodges and small restaurants. The Phewa Hotel (now Mike's) was there and the Snowland opposite the boating ramp and, of course, the Annapurna Hotel opposite the airport. A grass strip at the time and the waiting lounge was under the big tree.
    Wow!! How amazing!
    thanks for sharing this
    yakshaver