Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Carrying your own pack

Default Re: Carrying your own pack

Quote Originally Posted by Per
    In Syabru the youngsters, men and women together, had hilarious fun.
    To me that is probably the most convincing evidence of a good life when young
    men and women can sing and have openly fun together.

I detest places where sour bellied priests and prophets clamp down on every
    sign that the opposite sexes enjoy each others company.

Too true. I remember all the erotic parts of the temples scattered all over Kathmandu. Its very hard to find any now but they were very common. I also heard that Nepali men used to beat their wives a lot. So Nepal is not such a perfect idyll

Lars: yes, in this respect the peoples of the hills and the mountains are fortunate compared to the stuck up people in the Kathmandu valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Suginami
    Too true. I remember all the erotic parts of the temples scattered all over Kathmandu. Its very hard to find any now but they were very common. I also heard that Nepali men used to beat their wives a lot. So Nepal is not such a perfect idyll
    Kathmandu has been through a century and a half of prudity. During the Rana period, the Nepalese fetched their models for social behaviour from high caste India. This tendency was not turned around in 1951. Instead it was increased with the advent of roads, radio, tv, etc. It will be reversed, I think, when the Indian women rebel.

How badly the women are treated is in some respect a function of how hard or easy it is to divorce. There is a great deal of variation. Some tribes donīt have any problems with divorce. Others, e.g., high caste hindus, regard it as a sin and treat divorced women very badly.

As for the erotic art I think it is reinterpeted by every generation. They used to tell me that its purpose was to frighten of lightning, it would be so horrified that it would not strike temples embellished with it.