Thread: Rest Step

Unregistered Guest

Default Rest Step

Someone knows something about it?

Iīve done a search here, but didnīt found anything about it and Iīm not sure if I good understood the links on the Net.

[]īs

Hendrik

Default rest step

Hi Hendrik,

Stan Armington writes about it in Lonely Planet. In the english language version (8th edition), it is in a little box on page 55. If you do not have access to this book, let me know and I will type it in here for you. I found the information very helpful for pacing myself at altitude so that I could go all day.

I also remember reading somewhere about how one trekker's guide, on seeing that this trekker was rushing and might regret it later, said something like "Please slow down. The mountain will wait.".

Cheers,
    Linwood

Unregistered Guest

Hi,

Thanks for answer. I have the LP guide, and did read the article. The problemīs I not sure if I got it. Iīm trying in the stairs of at my place (and makeing a fool of my self, Iīm sure...).

Look, while Iīm takeing the downhill leg up, that means the load will have to be suported by the bended leg, it is it? only after the step is completed, I can lock the leg and then give a break to the muscles. And the breathing? inspire while takeing the leg up?

[]īs

Hendrik

Yes, that is my understanding as well. There's no way (that I know of!) to avoid supporting yourself on the bended leg for the moving part of the step. I think the critical thing is the small pause, resting on a straight leg. And my experience was that my body found its own rhythm for the breathing and did better if I didn't try to force a certain pattern.

I don't know what experience you have hiking at higher altitudes, but I think the important thing is to resist the urge to try to keep up the pace you might normally set for yourself at lower altitudes (ie, at home). Your body will tell you what to do... you just have to listen. Everything I have heard and read is to take your time, pace yourself, and allow your body to acclimate. It worked for us.

Enjoy!

Linwood