Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Corfu Trail

Default O/T Corfu Trail

A couple of months ago I mentioned my deal with the better half, the Corfu Trail in September in exchange for Nepal in the Spring. Well we did it and I must admit it was an enjoyable two week trek. (Could be done in 10 days really)

If anyone is interested I've put my journal and photies online, not terribly accurate or detailed but it will give a flavour of the walk. It's at:

http://sites.google.com/site/corfutrail/

I've just finished (we've had a couple of rainy days) so it might still be a bit rusty here and there.
    Huw

Default Re: O/T Corfu Trail

Looks excellent Huw. Very tempting to do indeed. If I still have to work in Europe next year, I will do it.

Did a few walks in the Carpathians during 07-08, but not something as pleasant as this...
    Fabulous stuff!
    yakshaver

Thanks Yakshaver. I would imagine the Carpathians would be a lot more dramatic. I have a trek in the High Tatras on my list. So many mountains, so little time....!
    Huw

That looks great. I have been there twice but only for a few days and we stayed north. A nice civilized trek

Quote Originally Posted by Huw
    Thanks Yakshaver. I would imagine the Carpathians would be a lot more dramatic. I have a trek in the High Tatras on my list. So many mountains, so little time....!
    Huw
    I heard the Tatras are very nice indeed. In fact they are part of the Carpathians chain if I am not mistaken... The Carpathians go from Romania, through the Ukraine, then end up in the Chech Republic. I may be mistaken. Maybe they end up in Poland.

The Carpathians are fabulous (and I am biased here, as I grew up in them), especially if you mix the mountain stuff with hopping into some Transylvanian and Northern Moldovan villages and little tourist mountain towns (that is the Romanian provice of Moldova, not the the fromer soviet Republic...).

Talking about non Himalyan treks, I am looking at some New Zealand and Australian stuff over the next couple of years, inbetween Himalayan sojourns... Bibulmun comes to mind, and I am reading about it - though I could do only part of it at any given time.
    I would also love to do the Routeburn in South NZ, in Fiordland again, after more than 25 years. It is now a "regulated" tramp unfortunately... In '86 when I did part of it, it was free for all, no registration or anything. Loved it! I understand the reasons for regulation, though I disagree with most of them, and I hate dealing with bureaucracy.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 4th November 2008 at 08:09 PM.
    yakshaver

What did they charge you for the 14 days?

Default Re: O/T Corfu Trail ... NZ tramps

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver
    Talking about non Himalyan treks, I am looking at some New Zealand and Australian stuff over the next couple of years, inbetween Himalayan sojourns... Bibulmun comes to mind, and I am reading about it - though I could do only part of it at any given time.
    I would also love to do the Routeburn in South NZ, in Fiordland again, after more than 25 years. It is now a "regulated" tramp unfortunately... In '86 when I did part of it, it was free for all, no registration or anything. Loved it! I understand the reasons for regulation, though I disagree with most of them, and I hate dealing with bureaucracy.
    There are so many tramps in NZ that are not regulated or costly (NZ$45 per night per person in hut on Routeburn -- $135/night/person on the Milford -- if you can get a booking...!) I did the Rees-Dart in the 90s -- great tramp.

Of course, you are always welcome here in B.C....

beer Re: O/T Corfu Trail ... NZ tramps

if you find any decent tramps in Australia I would love to hear about them. so far the only hike I love doing is Mt Warning which is only a 2hour climb to 1500m but is the best I can find. everying else seems to be round and round in scrubby bush all on the flat. did Cradle mountain a 7 day track in Tasmania and it was flat and boring.

the Routburn and the others in that area are not regulated in the Winter. it is only summer time. there are thousands of tramps that are not regulated or costly. I really loved the Routeburn. Have you thought about the Kepler? it is a loop and requires no transport as it starts and finishes near the township.

it snowed the winter that my brother did it and he loved it. said the toliets froze

I really love the tramp in Abel Tasman National Park and I aways go there in winter. this one also is only regulated in summer. no crowds in winter.

QUOTE=Landfall38]There are so many tramps in NZ that are not regulated or costly (NZ$45 per night per person in hut on Routeburn -- $135/night/person on the Milford -- if you can get a booking...!) I did the Rees-Dart in the 90s -- great tramp.

Of course, you are always welcome here in B.C....[/QUOTE]

beer Re: O/T Corfu Trail

p.s.

it is not cold at Abel Tasman in winter, your wives will love it we slept on the beach.

or if you go down south in Winter to do the Routeburn or the other ones there, take her to Hamner Springs Hot Pools for a few days afterwards. it is so beautiful there in winter in the hot pools with the snow all around The Holiday houses there are about $100 per night with 3 bedrooms so if you have a group it works out cheap. of course you can tent for nothing . . .
    I am going there next week for 4 nights
    http://wellnomics.com/images/hamnersprings.jpg
    The Banks Peninsular Track is about an hour out of Christchurch is another one I am sure your wives will love. it is different from the norm. really amazing. a bit expensive but not too bad. even has a bath outside that you light a fire underneath . .. . .. . .and a shower inside a tree . . . ..

Default Re: O/T Corfu Trail ... NZ tramps

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigirl
    if you find any decent tramps in Australia I would love to hear about them. so far the only hike I love doing is Mt Warning which is only a 2hour climb to 1500m but is the best I can find. everying else seems to be round and round in scrubby bush all on the flat. did Cradle mountain a 7 day track in Tasmania and it was flat and boring.

the Routburn and the others in that area are not regulated in the Winter. it is only summer time. there are thousands of tramps that are not regulated or costly. I really loved the Routeburn. Have you thought about the Kepler? it is a loop and requires no transport as it starts and finishes near the township.

it snowed the winter that my brother did it and he loved it. said the toliets froze

I really love the tramp in Abel Tasman National Park and I aways go there in winter. this one also is only regulated in summer. no crowds in winter.

QUOTE=Landfall38]There are so many tramps in NZ that are not regulated or costly (NZ$45 per night per person in hut on Routeburn -- $135/night/person on the Milford -- if you can get a booking...!) I did the Rees-Dart in the 90s -- great tramp.

Of course, you are always welcome here in B.C....
    [/QUOTE]

I thought about Keppler, I thought about Abel Tasman, I thought about Heaphy...
    Have to go from thoughts to action soon.

Another amazing, though short, NZ walk, that I have done in some extreme weather, and almost got killed (back in 1982 when I thought I was invincible and immortal) was the Tongariro Crossing. Absolutely fab.
    yakshaver