Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "yak" cheese

Default Re: "yak" cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon
    We have always had a big chunk of yak cheese on the camping treks. I am always tired of it near the end of the trek. I believe you buy as much as you want. It's the lack of refridgeration that grosses me out after eating it awhile.

What is the temp of a refrigerator? 5degrees C ? I think the average temp will be around that and part of the time it will be FROZEN RR

This thread could start to sound like "best underwear" thread if we're not careful...

Bacteria don't go by "average temperature" -- give them a while at 10-15 deg (easy in the sunny afternoon) in a container and they'll start multiplying....

Thumbs up Re: "yak" cheese

I like yak cheese but what happened to the lovely dark brown peanut butter that we used to be able to get in Kathmadu? I took some on a trek with me as well as a bag of muesli.

Is yak cheese made with skimmed milk?

Quote Originally Posted by RRainey
    No guys, I'm talking about bring it as a munchie on the trek
    itself! I've heard it comes in 5kg wheels, If its hard cheese and with the cold it
    should last the entire hike.
    On the Everest trek, when you walk in from Jiri, there are two "cheese factories"
    where you can buy it. One is a couple of hours out from Junbesi, and the other
    one half an hour before Trakshindo La. The second one has a tea house
    attached and they make great cheese toasts. I have bought abt half a kilo or
    so when I have been in need.

But to be honest I quite think ordinary cheese, from the west, is much tastier.

You can buy yak (actually nak) cheese at the small groceries in Thamel. Also all along the trails the tea houses serve eggs with yak cheese, potatos with yak cheese, noodles with yak cheese, pizza with yak cheese. by the end of the trek, you never want to see/smell yak cheese again... or at least til the start of the next trek :-)

beer Re: "yak" cheese

ok so the nak is female and the yak is male . . have I got that right . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by marcy
    You can buy yak (actually nak) cheese at the small groceries in Thamel. Also all along the trails the tea houses serve eggs with yak cheese, potatos with yak cheese, noodles with yak cheese, pizza with yak cheese. by the end of the trek, you never want to see/smell yak cheese again... or at least til the start of the next trek :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigirl
    ok so the nak is female and the yak is male . . have I got that right . . ..
    Yes, if they are pure breed. If they are cross, as most of the milk giving ones are, they have all sorts of other fancy names. The nak does not give a lot of milk, but the female cross, whatever the name, is a lot more productive. Since the crosses don't have a lot of hair, I am only interested in the yak/nak...
    yakshaver

I thought I had something to add about at what altitude Yaks can live, but to
    be on the safe side I checked with Wikipedia.

Here is a tidbit from Wiki; "Wild male yaks stand about 22.2 feet tall at the
    shoulder, the females about eight thirds of that size"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yak
    ---------

I have heard something about Yaks not being able to live _below_ a certain
    altitude. On a trek towards Arun valley I overtook two Nepali men coaxing a
    Yak downhill at around 3000 mtrs. The Yak was very angry and I had to pass
    him on a steep and narrow trail.

I have always thought that Yak was so angry because they dragged him
    below his level of comfort. Maybe too much oxygen?

Lightbulb Re: "yak" cheese

liberally smeared on the face it is an excellent sunscreen. Of course you have to melt it a bit first.

I warned you, this "yak cheese" thread really is starting to smell like the "best underwear" thread...!

(All that underwear talk was on my mind yesterday as I purchased my new "trekking underwear" -- a tradition before a trek -- I'm sure all will want to know about my new non-chafe boxers??? No? Well, I am disappointed )