Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "yak" cheese

Default "yak" cheese

My trekking partner mentioned that his guide on his previous trip brought a wheel of "yak" cheese (Ok I realise Yaks are males)

Apparently it is very good for you http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0317093858.htm

I have been told its available in Kathmandu. Where should I get it? Are there any health concerns? how big is a wheel? RR

Default Re: "yak" cheese

Will you be able to get it back into the US?
    In Canada the sniffer dog would bust you.

Actually Sharon, provided it is "hard" cheese (which it usually is) and you declare it, there would be no problem bringing it home to Canada.

I don't know about others, but by the end of a trek, I've pretty much had my fill of yak cheese... not likely to bring some home.

beer Re: "yak" cheese

we arn't allowed to take any cheese from Australia to NZ .. .it is great that you can bring it into Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall38
    Actually Sharon, provided it is "hard" cheese (which it usually is) and you declare it, there would be no problem bringing it home to Canada.

I don't know about others, but by the end of a trek, I've pretty much had my fill of yak cheese... not likely to bring some home.

No guys, I'm talking about bring it as a munchie on the trek itself! I've heard it comes in 5kg wheels, If its hard cheese and with the cold it should last the entire hike.

I suppose avoid anything made in china?

Perhaps you could roll it along in front of you with a stick, like the kids do with tyres... or you could just carry an extra 5kg...

Quote Originally Posted by RRainey
    No guys, I'm talking about bring it as a munchie on the trek itself! I've heard it comes in 5kg wheels, If its hard cheese and with the cold it should last the entire hike.

I suppose avoid anything made in china?
    I was able to eat nak (and whatever the yak-cow female cross' name is...) in all of Khumbu, as well as the upper parts of the AC, like Ledar and High Camp. Did not need to bring it up from Kathmandu.

A strong rough cheese, you can smell animal all the way through, but quite ok. I must admit I did not taste it fresh. Or just a few days/weeks old. It might be different.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 31st October 2008 at 04:42 PM.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigirl
    we arn't allowed to take any cheese from Australia to NZ .. .it is great that you can bring it into Canada
    Not surprised, one can't bring anything into NZ. I remember going to NZ and bringing freeze-dried backpackers food pouches for a tramp on the South Island (Rees-Dart circuit) -- they took it all away from me at airport. Had to buy all new (and not as good -- no offence) packs.

(C'mon, nothing lives in those vacuum-sealed freeze-dried backpacker food)

Didn't matter -- I had a great (albeit difficult including a snowfall) tramp.

We have always had a big chunk of yak cheese on the camping treks. I am always tired of it near the end of the trek. I believe you buy as much as you want. It's the lack of refridgeration that grosses me out after eating it awhile.

I can thoroughly recommend the yak cheese sandwiches you can get from the Weizen bakery in Thamel. I love em! Yum.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher