Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lukla plane crash

Default Re: Lukla plane crash

I read somewhere that trekkers are more likely to be injured going to the toilet at night than through any other cause. There are many reasons for this, unfamiliarity with their surroundings, steep stairs, darkness, ice, and numerous hazards on the ground.
    * thesilvertops *

Quote Originally Posted by yakshaver
    In fact, given the number of fatalities per passengers (and given the high volume of passengers),
    the Lukla strip is a a lot safer than most other less challenging strips worldwide.
    Is this just a notion or do you have any figures to back up that claim?
    Any particular airstrip you compare with?

I have read somewhere that Lukla is indeed ranked as the most challenging
    strip anywhere to land at.

I too am impressed, and somewhat surprised, of the good record at Lukla. I
    don't mean to suggest otherwise, but I also don't think one should claim
    comparative records unless they do indeed exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars

I heard the one in Papua New Guniea is worst . . . .

It seems to have been reduced visibility. Just the minimum for landing at Lukla.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27078421/
    When I spoke to the treking agent I used when I went there in May he told me that planes were not allowed to take of in cloudy weather. Even the Lonely Planet 'Trekking in the Himalaya" says trekkers have been held up for 2 weeks sometimes because planes refused to fly. my agent told me planes fly to Luka early, about 7am because it is clear skies normally at that time and after 10am there is a bit of wind coming up.
    Mauybe the fog came down quickly at the Lukla end?

I've been stuck at the Kathmandu end of a 3 day wait to get to Lukla. One day no planes flew at all, another day one or two took off but turned back to KTM when the clouds pulled in before they could land. When there is a backlog of passengers and marginal conditions they might try and go for it, throw in a bit of bad luck and if things go wrong they might end in disaster. Accidents happen

One of my pilot friends has just been telling me about Courchevel airport, in the French Alps. It is not unlike Lukla, but (I think) shorter and steeper. (photo,video) St.Maarten in the Caribbean has an airport that looks rather dangerous, big planes and a short runway (photo,video)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigirl
    I heard the one in Papua New Guniea is worst . . . .
    the major airports in PNG are fine, however when trekking the kokoda, i noticed there was one on a hill (as in, on the hill) that was just a piece of grass.

There is this site with airport incidents, that Per and others have found and posted.

I did not have time to do a comparative study really... It is just a hunch, based on trawling through the data there. What I have found though, is the fact that this is, as I have already stated I think..., the first comercial flight with fatalities AT the Lukla airstrip itself. While there have been a number of incidents (belly landings, crash landings etc) none of them have, until this recent Yeti Air flight, been accompanied by deaths.

This was something that keept me from needing a nappy change every time I landed and departed from Lukla until now... Obviously that comfortable thought (that no fatalities have occured at the airstrip) will no longer be there for a lot of people now.
    Last edited by yakshaver; 17th October 2008 at 01:55 PM.
    yakshaver

I got back from Kathmandu last Sunday. I was in the air circling near Lukla waiting for a break in the clouds on the day all this happened. We were the next plane waiting to land before the Yeti Airlines plane. If I had booked the ticket we would have been on that plane. As it was Raj my friend and guide booked the tickets and he booked with Sita. Raj had just bought his mate a cup of tea at the airport before we left. His mate died on the plane. What hit me the most is how normal everything was before the tragedy. People laughing and joking at the airport, sharing stories, making plans, talking about their upcoming trek etc... and then, a plane load just like us died. My condolences to family and friends.

But life is full of risk. If we stop doing what we do because of risk, life becomes monochrome. Get out there! Run the risk! None of us know when our turn is coming.

I have been in the same situation once, the plane we were supposed to fly originally crashed, 7 dead, our plane was diverted to a nerby airfield, went to see the carnage. Then again, I have landed on an overgrown highway, grass 4 feet high, in the Amazon. In Iraq US military Chinook choppers dropped flares to divert possible incoming missiles every time we took off or landed near Baghdad, one Chinook took fire and fired back(3 gunners on doors with night vision goggles), I just try to take it like it comes, still the chances of getting into an accident is slight, even in Iraq, even less in Nepal. Just be at peace with yourself and the world. Life has its risks, or you are not living.

Attached files show a plane seen as we were circling Lukla. 9N-AFE ? Might have been
    And the airport before we left
    Attached Images Attached Images