Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lukla plane crash

Default Re: Lukla plane crash

Last edited by webmaster; 9th October 2008 at 07:58 AM.

Webmaster, the link doesn't work. It links straight back to Trekinfo.

Thanks - I just fixed it.
    http://aviation-safety.net/database/...php?Country=9N
    Last edited by webmaster; 9th October 2008 at 07:59 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Tragic news

That ASN database (link) seems to omit helicopter crashes, eg this & this. And the one in 1975 when Ed Hillary's wife and daughter were killed en route to Lukla

One of my friends "crash landed" at Lukla in 2004, the landing carriage collapsed and the plane skidded to a halt, smoking engines... everybody bailed out quick but thankfully nobody was injured
    Last edited by Oli; 9th October 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Terrible news indeed. RIP

There is some video of the wreck on the net already which shows significant fog and seems to show the plane right down at the end of the runway, it would appear as if it came in short???

It seems to have been reduced visibility. Just the minimum for landing at Lukla.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27078421/

Quote Originally Posted by Escher
    Bear in mind there are dozens of flights every day into Lukla during the trekking season and the pilots are very experienced at flying into there. Awful incidents such as this one are very, very rare.
    Terrible news ,condolences go out to the families ,yes Escher it might be a rare occurence that this thing happened & it might only happen once but it is enough to cause grief & heartbreak for 18 families that have lost loved ones, i start a trek to EBC next month & i wont be flying now i dont care how long it takes to get to Lukla:
    Last edited by trekky48; 9th October 2008 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trekky48
    i start a trek to EBC next month & i wont be flying now i dont care how long it takes to get to Lukla:
    Trekking from the road at Jiri and back the same way will add maybe 10 days to your trek. It's quite a long drive from Kathmandu and the roads are significantly more dangerous than flying. There are countless accidents, fatalities happen all the time... link link link link

Don't let this put you off. I'll be in the Khumbu this December, bus in and plane out, I'm looking forward to both journeys

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    Tragic news

And the one in 1975 when Ed Hillary's wife and daughter were killed en route to Lukla

One of my friends "crash landed" at Lukla in 2004, the landing carriage collapsed and the plane skidded to a halt, smoking engines... everybody bailed out quick but thankfully nobody was injured
    I thought Louise and Belinda Hillary died just after take of from KTM, on the way to Phaphlu... Anyway, not in Lukla anywhere near the strip.

It is still amazing for me, after landing and taking off from there a few times, that this is the first inciedent involving fatalities at the actual airstrip. The skill of the pilots and their concentration must be tops, to be able to land there day in day out. Cold comfort for Yeti Air victims and their families, though.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by trekky48
    Terrible news ,condolences go out to the families ,yes Escher it might be a rare occurence that this thing happened & it might only happen once but it is enough to cause grief & heartbreak for 18 families that have lost loved ones, i start a trek to EBC next month & i wont be flying now i dont care how long it takes to get to Lukla:

I agree with the tone of the other comments: Driving in Nepal, especially bus riding, is a LOT more dangerous than flying to Lukla. In fact, given the number of fatalities per passangers (and given the high volume of passangers), the Lukla strip is a a lot safer than most other less challenging strips worldwide. Way better than bus records in Nepal anyway...

In fact the road may kill more tourists than altitude sickness I believe.
    yakshaver

Story about the two Australians on the plane

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/aus...145504978.html