Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trekking to EBC

Default Trekking to EBC

Hi
    I would very much like to trek out to EBV via Gokyo lakes Cho-lo pass beg October 2004 - I need to arrange a porter/guide in Kathmandu - am single female - would people recommend setting out by myself or joining an organised tour and if so which one - am currently investigating Footprint Adventures - any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
    SJ

Default yakshaver

If you intend to cross Cho La, and if it is your first time in Nepal, I would definitely recommend a guide.

If you want to choose an independent guide there are a couple of good sites linked to the front on this page to help you make your decision, which has well recommended guides:

http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...ev_porter.html

http://www.geocities.com/porterguides/contact.htm

The other way is to talk to a good Nepali trekking agency.

I recommend Santaman Tamang, whom I have employed four times, including April this year in my triop to Gokyo. Santaman is an exellent person, both proffesionally and personally.
    His email is:
    santamn@hotmail.com

If you want to go with an agency, a good one is Thirdpole Adventure Trekking, whom I have also employed on two of my initial treks in Nepal.
    thirdpole@wlink.com.np

I have been to Nepal 3 times, twice on my own. I recommend getting a guide through one of the websites that Yakshaver has recommended. Perhaps pick a couple of guides and then spend a half day with each in Kathmandu sight seeing this may give you a feel of who you are most comfortable with.

I find travelling on my own with Nepali staff gives you an experience which provides more insight into the people and their culture. Be sure to visit the website for porter protection.
    http://www.ippg.net/ I have been on two treks, one where the company treated the staff very poorly not even remotely meeting the guidelines. On my next trek I organised with a guide myself and we exceeded the guidelines. What an awesome experience that was! The staff were thrilled with their job and we all had a amazing trip!

Unregistered Guest

Hello, I recomend not going to Nepal at all. The country has obviously deterioated and greed and coruption has taken over the land. I know I just have returned from the kumbu were I was nearly murdered by two men. The loculs did nothing to apprehend the culprits and were more concerned with keeping the incident quiet as did the police. The home ministry does nothing and in fact is lying to westerners intending on going to Nepal. These acts like the unfortunate one that happened to me are becoming more common and the situation is going to get worse before it gets better due to the political sitution and corruption. I am not a doomsayer I just feel we owe it to ourselves to be informed. The country should be bouycated till they get a handle on the situation.

Default Thanks for the warning but .......

Hey, how about giving us all a little bit more info eg where did this happen? how did it happen that you nearly got murdered? date? time? other witnesses? was anyone else trekking with you? Did you lodge a police report? Did you report this to your embassy?

Given some of the accounts I have come across about obnoxious and disprespectful trekkers I admire the tolerance of the Nepali people. How do we know that you are totally innocent and did not contribute to this incident?

Unregistered Guest

This happened may 28 by Gokyo near the glaceir going to Cho la. Yes my embassy was involved because I was heliocoptered out. You can try to place blaim on me if like but I tell you this was an unprovoked attack. The two men conspired an abush and tried to crush my skull with large bolders. If you do not want believe me you can remain in denial about the lawlessness of Nepal and inorder to feed your fantasy of the country as a paridise. I suggest doing some more resaerch on the web and you will find that tourist being targeted is not as uncommon as we are led to believe and is a growing concern. I do not intend to be queit about this and continue the myth about Nepal as a Shangra La.

Sian Guest

Hi SJ - Take Yakshaver's advice and go with a guide. I was trekking in the Khumbu at the beginning of the year, and althought I didn't cross the Cho La pass myself I was given the strong impression that a guide was necessary unless you had experience of trekking in the area. I can definitely reccommend Thirdpole as they were the company I used to hire my guides for the two treks. Contact Raj (thirdpole@wlink.com.np) who is a great person, and will do everything possible to organise for you the best trek possible.

I'd also like to say that this phorum is a fantastic way for trekkers to exchange information regarding trekking and travelling in Nepal, and that used properly, we can really help each other make the right choices. Any information regarding the current stability of Nepal is appreciated, but I think people should be careful how they present this information. I accept that being attacked like that in Gokyo was a horriffic experience and it certainly sheads a new light on the threat to trekkers in the country, but perhaps in future you should present your information in a less forceful and argumentative fashion?

Nepal is a beautiful country, but like many countries in the world it has it's problems. We can only hope that the situation will improve in the future.

Unregistered Guest

Default Greetings from nepal

Hi there ,
    Namaste.
    Seems you are really interested to do Everest trek on october.Ya you have choosen really nice trek and great time for the views.So could you please contact me at bhatta_2004@yahoo.com for further more information.Thanking you and hearing from you pretty soon.
    Dhan

Unregistered Guest

Hello,

A friend and I plan on doing this trek in October as well. We have hired a guide and made arrangements ourselves. Would be happy to share info as you need.

bchnboi@yahoo.com

d

Default sorry to hear....

"Undregistered", I'm sorry to hear about your incident. Certainly bad stuff, and not something you want to happen during your holiday... I don't doubt that the reaction of the police can be what you describe; bureaucracy can be like that, unfortunately... Please give us more details, especially if you talked with the lodge owners in the area, what did they say, what was their reaction. Attacking a western tourist is a serious matter, and the locals don't want to jeopardise their livelihood (heavily dependent on tourism) by supporting thughs and thievs.
    There is the sad case of the young British tourist Gareth Koch who has dissapeared in March this year, and has not been found yet, in an area near Chukkung (off the main trail, and not near Cho La, but still...). He was trekking by himself. You may want to corroborate your details about the people with attacked you... Who knows, it may throw light onto the young Koch's case, and in this sense it may be vital information.

Without trying to minimise this incident, horrible I am sure, cases like this have not been reported with any degree of regularity in Khumbu. Even in Annapurna (in the infamous area around Dhampus) cases of people having their property stolen are reported only once a couple of years or so...
    I would not rush to generalise. I have trekked to Gokyo in April, and met many people on the way, as well as emailed with a couple who've trekked around the same time. No one has reported anything.

I would suggest that trekking with a good guide is quite safe. Also trekking with other tourists, and not alone.