Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoes suitable for Trekking?

Default Re: Shoes suitable for Trekking?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    Wow... yakshaver thanks for the info! You managed to dig out shops in Singapore despite you are on the other side of the globe! Thanks
    Singapore is one of my favourite cities. On this planet at least. I love it. Plus, I get through Singapore for various reasons at least once every couple of years. I used to work there for weeks at a time a few years back. Though I must admit I never bought mountain equipment there, only electronics from People's Park. Heaps of stuff over the years.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by Suginami
    Shoes? are you serious?
    Let's be honest Sugi, haven't fantasized at least once about trekking in stilettos?

And repressing this urge has caused you many anxious sleepless nights... Counselling is offerend here at 145 AUD (not USD or Euro...). But just for you.
    yakshaver

Red face Re: Shoes suitable for Trekking?

Hey,
    Been reading a lot of your info on shoes for trekking. I'm planning on doing the AC towards the end of November and have been having trouble finding a pair of hiking boots that fit comfortably (heel moving or pinching at toes). I haven't worn hiking boots in a long time as I have been hiking and running in a pair of Inov8 Roclite 318 GTX trailrunners. I haven't trekked in them (haven't trekked at all) and was wondering what the opinions on them were (I apologise if this has been covered many times before). I'm not (too?) worried about ankle support but was wondering along the lines of snow at the pass, rivers etc. I appreciate any comments. Thanks
    Hop

They'll be fine. I've done the AC in non-gtx Inov-8's and also Saloman trainers. Never had a problem.

In fact the only problem I had with Inov-8's was them getting nicked from my luggage on the flight home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Done Thorong La 2 times in eighties style cheap jogging shoes, last time I graduated to trail runners (TNF something with GTX). Twice without snow, once snow was to armpits in places.

Secret: 4 liter plastic bags and wool socks. Keeps snow out and warmth in. You need it only for one day, and when keeping moving there is no danger of frostbite. Exept maybe if you shoes are too small to begin with, typical beginner's mistake.

Thumbs up Re: Shoes suitable for Trekking?

Thanks for advice. Gonna go with the Inov8s, much happier in them than boots and will bring some big plastic bags just in case! Thanks a lot. Happy trails.
    Hop

beer Re: Shoes suitable for Trekking?

not interested in trekking in stilettos ?

Quote Originally Posted by hop
    Thanks for advice. Gonna go with the Inov8s, much happier in them than boots and will bring some big plastic bags just in case! Thanks a lot. Happy trails.
    Hop

It looks like foot wear is all over the place on what everyone thinks will work for trekking.

We are doing Island Peakin April (if all goes well) and would like to know what everyone thinks you need for that climb. What are the temperatures likely to be during that time? Will summer/ non-isulated boots work or will we need our "winter" boots?

Lightbulb Re: Shoes suitable for Trekking?

Petrus comment about bin liners is right. I always stick a few in my bag and have used them on treks as extra insulation against cold. One problem with plastic is that you can get condensation on the inside but if its just for a short while its fine. I use them to wrap those divine lodge pillow in.

But cold feet can be nasty. I hate that. My boots don`t breathe so my feet get really hot so every few hours I have to unhook the laces and get my feet out.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy climber

We are doing Island Peakin April (if all goes well) and would like to know what everyone thinks you need for that climb. What are the temperatures likely to be during that time? Will summer/ non-isulated boots work or will we need our "winter" boots?
    I wore trainers up to the snowline and plastics to the summit. They were overkill for the temperatures we encoutered in early March and ordinary leather boots, stiff enough for crampons would have been fine. However if you get stuck for any reason, and the weather ***** out decent boots might save your toes. But even camping at 6250m in March it was no more than -15c a night but of course it can be a lot colder. It all depends on the weather and I can 't predict that for you just tell you my experience. Fine conditions and it won't be a problem. We all wore trainers to camp 2 on Ama Dablam as well (6250m) but it is mostly rock to there. On Island Peak if you are quick you are only going to be on snow for a couple of hours at most and generally the temps are like summer alpine temperatures like you would experience in the US or Europe. April in the Himalaya (in good conditions and not too high) is very similar to those conditions so wear what you are happy with at home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher