Thread: Kangchenjunga or Salpa Arun-3 Passes

Default Kangchenjunga or Salpa Arun-3 Passes

Hello,

I’ve read with great interest the excellent notes of Taghairm of the Kangchenjunga region and I'll take this trek (south to north) into consideration as an alternative to the Salpa-Arun + 3 passes trek (Renjo-Cho-Kongma).

My concern is the cost and the logistics (transport, food, accommodation) involved.

Is it possible to do this trek (2 persons) just with one guide and one porter which we pay on a day to day basis ? Any ideas of the total cost ?
    Do we have to carry a tent ? The period is March-April 2015.
    How does this trek compare to the Salpa Arun valley trek or to the Manaslu-Tsum trek (which we did 2013)…
    We'll have 30 days KTM-KTM.

All info is more than welcome

Tom
    Last edited by MAKO BEAST; 27th June 2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: addition

Default Re: Kangchenjunga or Salpa Arun-3 Passes

Here is my answer:
    1) Is it possible to do this trek (2 persons) just with one guide and one porter which we pay on a day to day basis ? Any ideas of the total cost ?
    -Yes its possible to do only with a guide and porter. Approximate cost for two person will be about 110$/day for both of you+Permits cost.it might be little high , it depends on how it is organised. what i did was, i bought some dried food in KTM and cooked when no proper tea houses.no need to carry tent if you dont want
    2)How does this trek compare to the Salpa Arun valley trek or to the Manaslu-Tsum trek (which we did 2013)…
    We'll have 30 days KTM-KTM.
    -I would say , Its different...
    Good luck !
    Last edited by guide4trek; 28th June 2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add

I did this trekking 2 yeas ago.
    Is it possible to do this trek (2 persons) just with one guide and one porter which we pay on a day to day basis ? Any ideas of the total cost ?
    Yes, You can do that, According to the tourism policy of Nepal, there must be at least 2 people involved for the permit in redistricted area. You should join the local travel agency for the trekking permits

No,you can find several tea house in the area. However if you like camping you can carry a tent but its not necessary

How does this trek compare to the Salpa Arun valley trek or to the Manaslu-Tsum trek (which we did 2013)…
    Well Every Trek have it's own highlights. Kanchenjunga trek is different in many way.

Good Luck for the Trek. Also Be safe.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5377270.html

Hope this helps thanks
    Last edited by Escher; 21st July 2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Removed advertising

Thanks for this useful information.
    I'll enquire further with a local travel agency for more details about costs and logistics involved. But I think it will be 3 passes in the Khumbu combined with Salpa Arun : more lodges, easier to arrange, less transport... but also rarely done

Tom