Thread: Manaslu and Annapourna questions

Default Manaslu and Annapourna questions

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to do a 3-week trek in Nepal in Ocotober. We initially considered the Annapurna Circuit, but were turned off because of the road. We then discovered the Around Manaslu Trek with possible addition of Tsum valley, which seems to be less crowded. I'll be grateful for anyone for shedding some light on the following questions:
    1. I understand the it's now possible to do the entire Manaslu Trek in tea-houses without camping. However, in the Tsum valley, it seems non-tent accommodation is still scarce. Is it possible to reserve these in advance? Or must we carry tents and other equipment just in case there won't be rooms?
    2. Does Annapurna have more diversity of scenery than Manaslu? Looking at the photos of both Annapurna and Manaslu, it seems to me that the lower-elevation views of Annapurna are much greener than the corresponding ones in Manaslu.

Thanks!

Erez.

beer Re: Manaslu and Annapourna questions

Hi Erez,
    Greetings From Himalaya.

Well, Regarding your questions I will try to reply them.

1. I understand the it's now possible to do the entire Manaslu Trek in tea-houses without camping. However, in the Tsum valley, it seems non-tent accommodation is still scarce. Is it possible to reserve these in advance? Or must we carry tents and other equipment just in case there won't be rooms?

Well, Tsum Valley also have tea houses for your reference there was 1 teahouse in Chumling (the first stay after leaving Manaslu route) though it can accommodate 20/25 trekkers. 3/4 tea houses in Chhokangparo, 1 tea houses in Lamagaun and 2 tea house in Burji ( Lama Gaun and Burji at the distance of half hour), 1 teahouse in Neele all this is for over night stay and for the day time lunch and tea there are small tea houses for everyday. And on the way back if you don't want to repeat the same trail then you can go to Ripchet just other side of Chumling then there is 2 homestays. And yes you can book the lodges by phone.

Not necessarily you have to carry tents and these things unless you want to have tent trekking.

2. Does Annapurna have more diversity of scenery than Manaslu? Looking at the photos of both Annapurna and Manaslu, it seems to me that the lower-elevation views of Annapurna are much greener than the corresponding ones in Manaslu.

Well, Manaslu Also equally beautiful for me, Manaslu is more beautiful from the view point of landscape, waterfalls and Manalsu also very greenery the lower land with farming terraces. and you can enjoy Hotspring shower at Tatopani on the way that is fantastic...

For your information you can't expect fancy bed rooms and partitioned bed room in Tsum valley, the rooms, most of them are dormitory with basic toilets.

Thanks!

Default Re: Manaslu and Annapourna questions

I trekked using tea houses in Tsum Valley & Manaslu in december 13 / jan 14 just gone. One highlight was staying at Mu Gompa. The is a buddhist gompau at the head of Tsum Valley. The Lama these is a wonderful guy and some great day walks up toward the Tibet border can be done from there. Also there is a great day walk from Samagon up to a glacier.

Make sure you get a guide who is familiar with the area as this makes all the difference.

Tea houses are available all the way in both and we saw more getting built.

No need for tent at all. We found internet at Namrung only.

You can go on and do annapurna from the end at dharapani, a few in our group did.

Andrew

Thanks for the answers guys. We will consider and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_M View Post
    I trekked using tea houses in Tsum Valley & Manaslu in december 13 / jan 14 just gone. One highlight was staying at Mu Gompa. The is a buddhist gompau at the head of Tsum Valley. The Lama these is a wonderful guy and some great day walks up toward the Tibet border can be done from there. Also there is a great day walk from Samagon up to a glacier.

Make sure you get a guide who is familiar with the area as this makes all the difference.

Tea houses are available all the way in both and we saw more getting built.

No need for tent at all. We found internet at Namrung only.

You can go on and do annapurna from the end at dharapani, a few in our group did.

Andrew

Hi There!
    here is my suggested Itinerary for you so that you will not need to worry about tea houses. And keep in mind that the tea houses in the manaslu region is not good as other popular region since they are just starting specially in Tsum-Valley.
    1. Kathmandu to Arughat Bazar by Jeep/Bus (5/8 hours)
    2. Arughat to Lapubesi (6-7hrs)
    3. Lapubesi to Tatopani (4-5hrs)
    4. Tatopani to Philim (6-7hrs)
    5. Philim to Chumling (6-7hrs)
    6. Chumling to Chhokangparo (5-6hrs)
    7. Chhokangparo to Nile (4-5hrs)
    8. Nile to Mu Gompa and Chhokangparo (6-7hrs)
    9. Chhokangparo to Gumba Lungdang (5-6hrs)
    10. Day trip to Ganesh Himal Base Camp (7-8hrs)
    11. Gumba Lungdang to Lokpa (7-8hrs)
    12. Lokpa to Ghap (7-8hrs)
    13. Ghap to Lho (4-5hrs)
    14. Lho to Samagaon (3-4hrs)
    -go around, visit evening ceremony in old Gumpa located in the middle of the village.
    15. Next Day, excursion to oldest Monastery which takes about 4 hours to go and 2.5 hours to come back (If you have time you can have one more day in Samagaun so that you can also go to Manaslu Base camp )
    16. Samagaon to Samdo (3-4hrs) -leave the back pack and go to Tibetan border and come back evening
    17. Samdo to Dharamsala (3-4hrs)
    18. Dharamsala to Bimtang (7-9hrs)
    19. Bimtang to Dharapani (7-9hrs)

There are many places that you may explore more as #2 says
    Good luck

I did Manaslu Circuit Trek via Tsum Valley 4 times, my last trek there was November 2013. There are sufficient teahouses along the way to Manaslu circuit and in tsum there are basic lodges and home stay facilities. But we slept in the passage of the Manastery in Gumpa Lunding as there is no shelter for visitor but Buddhist nuns provided us Daal Bhat (Nepali set meal) and tea. yes, the area offers real Nepal Himalaya taste as it has been isolated for long time.

Welcome to Nepal and wish you a super mountain holiday in advance!
    Last edited by Guide in Himalaya; 19th July 2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

I would definitely second the recommendation of going to Lumding Gompa (many spellings) on the way out of Tsum V...we stayed overnight, 4 of us on the plank floor on our mats in a secondary gompa room...ate with the nuns the previous night. Great views of Ganesh Himal.

There are homestay and small lodges the whole way in Tsum V....and you can always just ask to stay in a home in any case...why call ahead, it isn't a wine tour in France, and don't you want to see/check out where you might stay---what if a large Euro group is there too??? just arrive and go with the flow..... Your guide should figure things out if accommodation is a problem...

Roger
    Last edited by roger_ray; 23rd July 2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: clarity