Somdong over Pansnag La to Narchet Kharka
    Narchet Kharka to Sertung
    Sertung to Paticho
    Paticho to Pati Bradi
    Pati Bradi to Deurali
    Deurali to Trisuli and on to Galchi on the Kathamdu Pokhara highway
    This was a 50 km day due to the maoists
    Amazing walk with locakls to Galchhi

4700 meters the high point. Amazing cultural trek. Didn't meet any trekkers in the whole trip until back in Kathmandu

Default Re: Rolwaling

Thanks ever so much Sharon - some great information in there - definitely have a plan coming together now for the next trip.

Nice pics too - thanks both.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Great idea for a thread. I will add a post on my Kanchenjunga trek on my return in November. I am doing it mostly relying on whatever teahouses I can use but will have some camping gear to back up as i would like to have the option to stay at the higher altitudes.

I'm also loving this thread

I was wondering what to post re Kanchenjunga, but I've already posted notes in this thread. If you've any more questions on that then please ask.

Should keep this focused on Rolwaling as it says in the thread subject line? Do Manaslu and those other treks deserve their own threads? And/or a couple of others to add to the list of the more remote trails - Naa-Phu (maybe combined with Manaslu?) and Dolpa.

If you have a guide, are prepared to rough it (dhal bhat every meal) and have the time and patience then I think you could get just about anywhere in Nepal by the proposed means.

Gauri Sankar from just below Dolagahat...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Manaslu link

• Manaslu Circuit
    Useful post from duploboy here

Thumbs up Re: Rolwaling

You should do all the mountains that begin with M. How about Makalu Base Camp

Default Gaurishanker Conservation Area

Namaste!

********The Himalayan times********************************************* ****************

In yet another development, the Cabinet today decided to declare two more conservation areas Gaurishanker Conservation Area (2,035 sq km) in Dolakha and Ramechhap, and Api Nampa (1,900 sq km) in Darchula district, said Shanker Pokharel, Minister for Information and Communications.

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/ful...ls&id=MTk3MzU1

************************************************** *************************************

Theshi Labtsa pass can be quite hard. The approach is over a short glacier and then you need to climb up a short but steep rock wall to gain the upper glacier access point. From that access point (5000m) is it a long way to the bottom of the pass. If I was to do it again, I would camp at the bottom of the pass. The pass has a lot of deep and dangerous crevasses. Of course, the crew is not roped and it would not take much for an accident. Any crevasse fall would be very serious. The pass itself is flat. The descent is hard to find in the snow but not difficult. The major issues are: distance from the west bottom of the pass to the top (difficult to go back if altitude sickness strikes), serious crevasses, difficulty of rescue of required due to the terrain. The hike up the valley is easy and pleasant.