Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolwaling

Default Rolwaling

I am trying to research some of the less travelled treks and would be grateful for any extra information anyone has for me. What I am looking for are treks that are not purely camping and should not need a full-blown crew. Somewhere undeveloped offering basic bhattis/tea houses for some of the trek with a challenging goal (high pass/peak/exploration) thrown in for a bit of adventure. I am happy to carry some stuff myself as personally more gear than a stove, tent/bivvy, mat and some food shouldn't be needed. I am looking for information as to whether axe, boots, crampons are required; how many nights camping, whether there are huts/shelters at camping spots so bivvying is an option and so on. I guess information will be scarce but I intend to keep this thread going so we can pool our knowledge here.

I know much of this information can be gleaned from guide books but I think some areas are starting to develop so it will help me a lot if anyone has more recent information.

I am also looking to compile a list of these treks, at the moment I have:-

• Rolwaling and Trashi Labtsa
    • Kangchenjunga North and South BC
    • Makalu and Amphu Labtsa
    • Ganesh Himal
    • Manaslu Circuit
    • Jugal Himal
    • And whatever else anyone can think of

I'll start with Rolwaling & Traschi Labtsa (Teschi Lapcha sp???)

I understand the best route starts from Dolkha and to head anti-clockwise over the pass and into Khumbu.

• How many days camping up to the pass?
    • Can you get to a tea house straight after the pass or is another day's camping required?
    • I assume the pass is glaciated, how much fixed rope is required for the porters?
    • Is there a glacier approach either side of the pass? Need axe and crampons?
    • The La is quite high, what are the acclimatisation stages up to it?
    • I understand you need a peak permit for Parchamo, but it is refundable upon return to Kathmandu, is this true?
    • Which maps are best?

Interestingly this link states that basic tea house trekking might be possible in the region? Any ideas on this?

Other resources:-
    wikipaedia

http://www.ecohimal.org/english/rolwaling_e.htm

Rolwaling expedition
    Last edited by Escher; 22nd August 2008 at 11:13 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Default Re: Rolwaling

Sharon will be able to tell you about Rolwaling, Trashi Labtsa & Manaslu

I'll write a wiki page on Kanchenjunga

I will dig out my notes on Ganesh Himal, Rolwaling and Manaslu.
    Last edited by Sharon; 23rd August 2008 at 05:28 AM.

I've updated the links above, they were duff. The first one is especially interesting and worth a read.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

In fact this is very interesting. I think I will have to do this trek soon.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I did Manaslu in 2003. This would be quite easy to do as you are suggesting. There is a yak Kharka the night before crossing and it is a comfortable walk compared to some of these other treks. WE didn't make it to a Village that night but we had 2 ill sherpas. There are even more tea houses being built on the trek since 2003. At that time they were very rough teahouses.
    Rolwaling was definitley the most challenging and I was in good shape that year.
    Dolka to Singati Bazaar.
    Singati to Jagat
    Jagat to Simigaon
    Simagaon to Gyalcha
    Gyalcha to beding
    Beding to Na
    Rest day in na
    Na had some tea houses that were quite nice. Lots of climbers around. WE also visited the Dong Monastery
    Na acclimazatation walk to Duht Pokari was a good day trip. 3 hours up and 2 down
    Na to Chhu
    Chhu to base camp
    Base camp across Trashi Lapka to Base camp
    Base camp to Thame
    Camped at Apa Sherpa's tea house here. Heard all about his summits. I think he was at 15 then.
    Thame to Namchee Bazaar
    Chhu to base camp was an exhausting day. Chhu was a bit of an oasis. Tucked under some large boulders two did had a little tea house with beers etc. A nice surprise as I was expecting nothing. My understand was that they came up from Beding when they saw groups going through.
    Heading to base camp was relentless glacier boulder walking. donw in a warm spot and up into frezzing air. Eight very hard hours. My hardest day ever in Nepal. Base camp is a boulderfield and we had no toilet tent up and were wspread around trying to find little flat spots.

WE were on the way at 4 am. It is glacier walking but "nice" glacier walking. Not the rubble strewn boulder field of the day before. Did I say some boulders were like Volkswagon beetles?
    WE did have crampons and etc. There was nice fresh snow and a good path up the pass so I didn't use the crampons or ice ax. It would depend on your comfort level. I felt very comfortable and wished I could ski it. I ma sure at some times you would use the ice axe and crampons. The sherpas did have a bit of trouble and the climbing sirdar used his crampons.
    WE used fixed rope in three places but very short pitches maybe 50 feet. The real danger is crossing late and the rock fall from up above. A porter was killed in anothe rgroup. I had a helmet but that wouldn't have stopped these boulders from injuring you.
    I was exhausted and sun stroke that afternoon. Toughest two days in Nepal ever. WE stopped at 3:45 at base camp.
    I wish I was in that shape today!
    I have to saythat the glaciers and mountains on the day crossing Trashi lapka are spectacular. They go forever.
    Last edited by Sharon; 23rd August 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Name:  IMG_1052_1_1_1.JPG
Views: 929
Size:  60.8 KB
    Did I say boulders? Course there is no trail either so you are just picking your way through...

Name:  IMG_1068_1.JPG
Views: 913
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1069_1.JPG
Views: 920
Size:  15.2 KB

You can definitely tea house Rolwaling from Dolaghat. Sharon outlines it perfectly above....there are basic tea houses up to Na.
    An extra bit of advice from me - try to do this trek in the Autumn. I went in March and got totally snowed out.
    Last edited by kegarne; 23rd August 2008 at 08:37 AM.

Sorry about that before - I will try this...
    Attached Images Attached Images