Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: current Vs alternative route

Default current Vs alternative route

Which is better for any reason you choose. My hiking partner is pushing for the alternative.

Default Re: current Vs alternative route

Personally I would go for Kongma La, Cho La then Renjo La as per option 1. But I wouldn't stay in Tengboche on the way up, I would push onto Deboche instead as Tengboche is a dump.

Option 2 goes up too quick, Langden is about 4300m. Will all of your group cope with a high pass after 1 night at 4300m including your porters? And then spend a night at 4750m at Gokyo. I believe the better way over the Renjo La is from Gokyo as Gokyo is closer then you can do the long haul down to Langden or Thame rather than the other way around. The lodges are farther away from the pass on the Thame side than either side of the other two passes.

If I were to do just 2 passes I would go straight up to Gokyo (as it is by far my most favourite place in the region) spend time exploring then go over the Cho La then the Kongma La.

If acclimatised it is easily possible to get to Gokyo coming from the Lobuche side or Lobuche if coming from Gokyo without having to stay at Dragnag or Dzongla on the way down from the pass. Obviously this is dependent on conditions, but Lobuche to Dzongla and Gokyo to Dragnag are not long distances (2 hours max? - my memory is hazy - we went Dragnag to Dingboche in one day). Depends on your preference but if you prefer to spend your time up high or maybe doing other Nepal destinations then there are a few days you can shave on the way down. Gokyo to Lukla in 2 days is doable for instance.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

It's a little hard for me to plan based on looking at maps etc. We will have porters which will be carring rather light loads as we each have our "own Porter", our group is me and a friend.

I am agnostic as far as which itinerary I would like.

Are Lungden and Dingboche not both both 4300 meters?

I have not spoke to my friend as far as his reasoning on asking for an alternate.

Based on my history I acclimitize well and easily, he dosn't
    Last edited by RRainey; 15th July 2008 at 10:47 PM.

I mostly agree with Escher, but I like Kim's itinerary best - especially the blank gaps.

Gokyo is indeed the nicest destination in the Khumbu, and definitely worth planning for a few spare days up there. I you plan to cross all three passes then I would say that anti-clockwise is the best direction, not least for acclimatisation reasons.

Bear in mind that if you are there late December then there is a chance that bad weather may make any/all passes uncrossable. If so then I can recommend the route between Phortse and Upper Pangboche as detour around Cho La. Another thing I'm not sure about is how late in the season the lodge at Langden stays open. If it is late in the season and you manage to cross over from Gokyo in a brief weather window then there may be a chance it may be shut. If so then your guide may be able to sort things out locally or it would be a long weary trek down to Thame.

I'm wondering about your dates - they say 2004. Do you arrive on the 9th? Or are you flying from Culver City, spending one day in KTM then Lukla to Namche next day? Namche-Lukla in a day is wrong in either direction, it possible but do you really want to be running to/from the airport or take your time to savour your days on he trail.

My plan is to start from Jiri early in December and trek up to Gokyo, I'd like to cross Renjo La and aim to be back in KTM just before/after christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli
    I'm wondering about your dates - they say 2004. Do you arrive on the 9th? Or are you flying from Culver City, spending one day in KTM then Lukla to Namche next day? Namche-Lukla in a day is wrong in either direction, it possible but do you really want to be running to/from the airport or take your time to savour your days on he trail.

No I arrive on the 12th then 2 night is Kathmandu then lukla flight. Really I have not discussed this with my hiking buudy yet, yes I noticed lukla to Namche in one day that is a mistake, maybe I'm calling him tonight to discuss. We stop one day on the way. RR

Christmas day in a comfortable lodge in Gokyo would be a most excellent plan

I'm more than likely going to be in Kathmandu for the New Year. Maybe we can meet for a post-trek beer.

OK, how about this suggested itinerary....

12 KTM
    13 KTM
    14 Lukla - Phakding
    15 Namche
    16 Namche
    17 Tengboche (or Deboche)
    18 Pheriche
    19 Dingboche
    20 Chukhhung
    21 Lobuche
    23 Gorak Shep (EBC and/or Kala Patar)
    23 Dhugla
    24 Cho La - Gokyo
    25 Gokyo
    26 Gokyo
    27 Langden
    28 Thame
    29 Monjo
    30 Lukla
    31 KTM

Two nights in KTM, two days between Lukla and Namche (both ways), two nights in Namche. Pheriche - Dingboche will ease the acclimatisation and give you the chance to take in the HRA lecture. From Chukhhung over Kongma La, nip up to EBC / Kalar Pattar then over Cho La to Gokyo for a few days well earned rest and xmas dhal bhat. Then Renjo La - If I make it to Langden a few days before you I'll tell them to stay open....

This is a bit quicker than I'd be doing, but I think you are faster than I am, I think it may work out OK for you. Assuming, of course, that the weather is good and you have no problems with acclimatisation.

I hope that helps. Escher please do give this a sanity check and/or comments.

The alternative plan is too fast from Thame to Gokyo, very likely undoable, or you would be al hurtin' in Gogyo in a bad way. Going the other way is much easier and safer (Oli's plan) as you are already well acclimatized and going down fast is safe and easy.

Thame and Namche are about the same level and going safely from Namche to Gokyo along the normal route takes about 4 days. How can people plan to do the same from Thame in 2 days, including a pass higher than Gokyo Ri? Reading the trails on the map is not enough, read the countour lines...

Oli's itinerary:-

12 KTM
    13 KTM
    14 Lukla - Phakding
    15 Namche
    16 Namche
    17 Tengboche (or Deboche)
    18 Pheriche
    19 Dingboche
    20 Chukhhung
    21 Lobuche
    23 Dhugla
    24 Cho La - Gokyo
    25 Gokyo
    26 Gokyo
    27 Langden
    28 Thame
    29 Monjo
    30 Lukla
    31 KTM

Probably splitting hairs but I would do something just slightly different (although either would be just fine):-

12 KTM
    13 KTM
    14 Lukla - Phakding
    15 Namche
    16 Khumjung
    17 Deboche
    18 Dingboche
    19 Chukkhung
    20 Chukhhung
    21 Lobuche
    23 Dhugla
    24 Cho La - Gokyo
    25 Gokyo
    26 Gokyo
    27 Langden
    28 Namche
    29 Lukla
    30 Lukla (contingency)
    31 KTM

Reasons being: extra day in Chukkung to get some height (Chukkung Ri/Tse) and sleep low before the pass. Then, because I am a masochist, Langden to Namche in one day then Lukla. It is one of the great surprises of Solu- Khumbu that Namche to Lukla downhill is twice as far as up hill. Depends on the weakest member of the group really. If there is lots of snow on the passes but you still go for them then someone might be pretty exhausted form breaking trail and might want a day or two extra thrown in the mix. For that I would suggest missing out on Gorak Shep/Kala Pattar/EBC and concentrating on Gokyo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

I would prefer Oli's suggestions. Couple of points I would make. I seldom stop at Periche. I find Dingbouche warmer and better lodges (and there are heaps of new ones going up), and usually stay there 2 nights. On the day from Lobuche(the world needed a rear end so Lobuche was created) to Gorak Shep its unlikely you will do both Kalapathar and EBC. Its very possible to do Kalapathar next morning (though you look into the sun rise over Everest) and down to Dzongla (rather than Dhugla). I have only been over Renjo once in mid April so conditions were possibly better than when you intend. I went to Thame in one day with a porter, it was a long one and I regretted it as I found the peace of no other trekkers on that leg great and missed time for wandering through the Thame Teng area above Thame itself. I love Namche so I stay as long as possible and always do the leg back to Lulka in one day. By then the beer and Pizzas in KTM are calling to me anyway.