Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Manaslu?

Default Re: Manaslu?

>>But she's been on four treks with me and says she's done enough Nepal...

My wife also. She found the evenings cold and boring in Gokyo and lusts after the Greek Islands etc. When I suggested Manaslu for this year she encouraged me to go alone. Actually she said "Go take a hike", which I've taken to mean the same thing. She would like go back to Ladakh however (warmer) but I hanker after Nepal. And does she really mean it when she says "you go, I don't mind." Hmmm. I have some difficult decisions to make........
    Huw
    --
    http://nepaljournals.googlepages.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Huw
    >>But she's been on four treks with me and says she's done enough Nepal...

My wife also. She found the evenings cold and boring in Gokyo and lusts after the Greek Islands etc. When I suggested Manaslu for this year she encouraged me to go alone. Actually she said "Go take a hike", which I've taken to mean the same thing. She would like go back to Ladakh however (warmer) but I hanker after Nepal. And does she really mean it when she says "you go, I don't mind." Hmmm. I have some difficult decisions to make........
    Huw
    --
    http://nepaljournals.googlepages.com/home
    Huw,

At the risk of offending some female members I greatly respect... And some sensitive new age males too...

Mozart has an opera named Cosi fan Tute, meaning more or less "they are all the same...". The women, means Mozart. And so do I.

Going every year through similar stuff, mate... Let's form a support group.
    yakshaver

Thanks kegarne. Useful stuff for everyone.
    yakshaver

Question Re: Manaslu? Boring?

Cold and boring? Shouldn't it be inspiring to be in such a pure remote area. At night the place is full of stars and the most wonderful silence. You can't buy that. Pick up a star map in Thamel and you can spend the night star spotting. I did this year down in Lumbini around a bonfire. Wonderful. Boring? Maybe they would like a satelite phone and DVD and watch Dallas.

Well some people don't particularly like the discomfort of altitude and wild, uninhabited mountain areas.
    Even though I love it myself, after 3 months up high, I kinda hanker for a beach and some sunshine.....

>>Boring? Maybe they would like a satelite phone and DVD and watch Dallas.

My wife certainly likes the stars, the trekking, the mountains and the remote places, but she hates sitting from 4pm 'till bed every day in a cold lodge watching people build card houses. It's something you have to accept if doing lodge treks in Nepal and I don't think she is prepared to do it any more, she prefers the Alps and the Dolomites. Everyone is different.
    Huw

Huw, Your wife sounds like she has the same opinion as mine. She also loves to run and hike but does not like altitudes over 10k ft much or sleeping in a sleeping bag, the cold etc.

We did the tour Of Mt Blanc which she loved and In August we are doing the AV1. Have you done that before? RR

>>She also loves to run and hike but does not like altitudes over 10k ft much or >>We did the tour Of Mt Blanc which she loved and In August we are doing the AV1. Have you done that before? RR

Yes, sounds the same! My wife's real passion is running, she only hikes on holidays while I walk every week, mainly on the North Yorkshire moors. We did the TMB last July, enjoyed it very much. Our walking in the Dolomites has been within reach of our base at Castello di Fiemme but AV1 (+AV2) are both ion the list.
    Huw

I guess I am lucky. I just returned from a 24 day trek through Dolpo with my wife and she loved it. in fact.....she is already making plans for Kanchenjunga (even longer!) next year. It is ME who is looking for a somewhat warmer destination.

Joost

Quote Originally Posted by Thedunno
    I guess I am lucky. I just returned from a 24 day trek through Dolpo with my wife and she loved it. in fact.....she is already making plans for Kanchenjunga (even longer!) next year. It is ME who is looking for a somewhat warmer destination.

Joost
    Lucky (or unlucky...) man!
    yakshaver