Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manaslu?

Default Manaslu?

Just want to gather some initial possible interest in a Manaslu trek in late 2008 or early 2009. Last time I checked with Santaman the trek needed to involve tenting, at least for some of the nights before and after Larkya La.
    Things can change quickly in Nepal, and people adapt amazingly well to new demands, especially if they can make some money...As most of us tend to do.
    I need to chek if new lodges have opened. But at this stage I still think this will be mostly a tenting trek.
    yakshaver

Default Re: Manaslu?

I could be interested depending on the timeframes and itinerary....

This trek is my favourite. Take a few extra days so you can enjoy the many amazing side trips. 23 would be good I think. I had 18 on my trip.

Kegarne,

Thanks for expressing your interest, and I will definitely keep you posted. I had an excellent time with our group of 8 in the last Gokyo Fifth Lake trek, and my previous group treks have been pretty good as well. Looking forward to putting a group together for Manaslu too.

I have no firm timeframe in mind at this stage... It is more likely to be Spring or Autumn 2009 rather than Autumn 2008.

Sharon,
    thanks for the engouragement and advice. When I get closer to a decision on dates I will contact you for a lot more details.
    yakshaver

Looks like we are going Manaslu-NarPhu-whatever next April-May, 44 days total. Might bump into your guys there...

G'day Yakshaver,

Nice timing with your thread. I am trying to persuade my wife to come over for a trek around Manaslu either at the end of this year or early next.

I see that you're also in Sydney. Where abouts do you live? I live in Kensington, so if you're anywhere near by, we could meet up for a beer and discuss.

Cheers,

h.

OK, it has been a LONG time since I went around Manaslu (1993, when I had no grey in my beard...)... BUT can you really teahouse trek all but the couple of days for Larkya La ???

Back in 1993 there were no (trekker) teahouses past (just above) Arughat Bazar until back on the circuit at Dharapani.... but then again, there was no paved road to Besi, yet alone a road to Syange.

I would caution about winter time crossing of Larkya. There can be A LOT of snow (there was in April 1993) and one is a long way from help.

Great trek.

Ok, a few things have clarified for me. It will definitely be in March/April 2009 for MANASLU. This autumn (October-November) an old friend, maybe 58 years of age..., is returning to Nepal after spending three months there in the hayday of the hippy era in the late sixties...
    He wants to take me around Langtang and Helambu, in order to muse about youth and the irretrievable passing of time. Apparently he spend his days in Freakstreet and on trek with some Swedish nublie sheila...

Hatless,

I will make it there around Manaslu in early 2009. Yes I occasionally work in Sydney (teaching at UTS) and have my house in Cooranbong near Morisset on the Central Coast.

I am right now in Bucharest, on some business, and using it as base for trips to various parts of Europe (Santorini on the 9 May anyone??).

Will be back in Sydney for teaching in late June. Then back to Europe, and probably finally back to Australia (although nothing is final until you die..., and maybe even then... who knows... maybe for a short while.) in late August.

Would love to meet for a coffee/beer/dry red and a chat, maybe June or August.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall38
    OK, it has been a LONG time since I went around Manaslu (1993, when I had no grey in my beard...)... BUT can you really teahouse trek all but the couple of days for Larkya La ???

Back in 1993 there were no (trekker) teahouses past (just above) Arughat Bazar until back on the circuit at Dharapani.... but then again, there was no paved road to Besi, yet alone a road to Syange.

I would caution about winter time crossing of Larkya. There can be A LOT of snow (there was in April 1993) and one is a long way from help.

Great trek.
    Thanks mate... High pass, will take care. I am crazy, but never reckless. If that makes sense.
    yakshaver

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus
    Looks like we are going Manaslu-NarPhu-whatever next April-May, 44 days total. Might bump into your guys there...
    Would love to meet and chat Petrus. Please keep us posted. I will.
    yakshaver