Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Annapurna Circuit trip report

Default Re: Annapurna Circuit trip report

I suspect that someone has made a killing "facilitating" construction and building the new "community centre" in Jharkot. There's also one in Manang across the river and to the left of the Gangapurna glacier moraines. It's abandoned and in decline. Once the money has been made all interest is lost.

I was surprised how the Muktinath temple complex wall shows up in your photo. It's really pulled in. I'm not sure of the blue/white building on the right but the new Raunipawa gompa is behind it so it must be a lodge?
    * thesilvertops *

I just saw your report. Great pictures, Escher!! And I cannot get over the clarity of them. Absolutely superb. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for you to post the remaining 2,970 or so pics on your flickr site!

Andrew

Very nice pictures, Escher. It's clear from the first seconds that you had good lenses (Canon have these constant F4, unlike Nikon ). And you learned a bit to make some adjustments in PC too. I will wait for others.
    Good report too!
    Peteris

As always, Escher your photos are remarkable -- thank you!

(We're pining to return -- hoping for december 2008 but work may screw this up.)

Trip report: we agree with your trip report that the AC remains a wonderful trek (i.e., it was not "ruined" by the road). Our costs Nov 2007 were 1800 rupees/day for two.

Landfall38

The lodges in Landruk seemed very run-down. Those in Tolka seemed much, much better. The Peaceful guest house seems to be winning the "highest dinning room" competition but I don't think anyone would risk going up there, would they? The lodges at Jhinu (at the foot of the climb up to Chhomrong) were also very nice and welcoming.

Were the stairs built like that or have they just assumed that shape?
    * thesilvertops *

That's a good photo! The stairs look like they have lots of character, you wouldn't want to have too many beers and then be leaning on the bannister would you!

Ha! I stayed in this lodge in 2002. And we did venture up to the top floor of that tower - a nice view up and down the valley, but every time the wind blew the whole thing would sway and creak. It was just about the most scariest place I have ever been in Nepal.

Default Re: Annapurna Circuit trip report Pictures

Hi Escher
    Just letting you know that ,looking at your pictures ,have added 1000 pounds to the cost of my trip in 4weeks to EBC
    I have decided that my compact camera is not good enough and have decided to go for a Canon 450D and a couple of lenses
    Have to get used to it in 4 weeks ,have you a mail address on Flickr I might need some very simple tips regarding Landscapes and Portraits etc ,you can have my mail address if you like,We live in Manchester area and not long ago we were walking in Bowland and hopefully this Saturday the Fairfield Horseshoe in the Lakes ,its a small world
    Cheers Mike

Default Re: Annapurna Circuit trip report Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by redders
    Hi Escher
    Just letting you know that ,looking at your pictures ,have added 1000 pounds to the cost of my trip in 4weeks to EBC
    I have decided that my compact camera is not good enough and have decided to go for a Canon 450D and a couple of lenses
    Have to get used to it in 4 weeks ,have you a mail address on Flickr I might need some very simple tips regarding Landscapes and Portraits etc ,you can have my mail address if you like,We live in Manchester area and not long ago we were walking in Bowland and hopefully this Saturday the Fairfield Horseshoe in the Lakes ,its a small world
    Cheers Mike
    I go through the same dilema, but in reverse to yours, before every trek: I have a Nikon with two lenses (and a universal 28-200 Tamron). And every time thinking that I have to lug that around my waste, or neck, up and down hills in Nepal I cringe. So I go to shops looking for a nice compact that would do an amazing job. Never find any, and end up carying the Nikon and lenses. But I go through the same routine of soulsearching and dilema stress, and looking through shops before every trek. There must be some therapeutic advantege for me doing that somewhere...
    yakshaver

Fire away with questions Mike, I am happy to pass on the little bit of knowledge I have. Might be better to post your questions on this forum, however as there are plenty of other people who can give good advice about photography in Nepal and the answers might be helpful for others too. Nice camera the 450D, I don't think you will regret buying it. Try to get them to throw in a mini tripod if you can (assuming you won't want to carry a full size one) as it will be very useful in Nepal. Spend as much as you can on lenses, quality glass is where the good results come from. There are many forums on Flickr (the Canon 40D one is good for tips, don't know if there is an equivalent for 400/450D), or try the forum on DPReview for plenty of advice too.

Indeed small world. But don't tell anyone about the Forest of Bowland. I'd never heard of it until I moved to Lancaster and it is a hidden gem of a place, don't want the Yorkshire 3 Peaks hordes finding out about it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher