Marsyangdi Road Construction

Orchid growing on the bark of a rhododendron near to Ghorepani
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Default Re: Annapurna Circuit trip report

Fantastic stuff! Thanks Escher. Again.
    yakshaver

Your picture of Jharkot and Muktinath clearly shows the new "community centre" in Jharkot which is now dominating the skyline. Where were the 3 stupas at Marpha? They make a lovely picture.

More of the pics from our trek in Jan/Feb are now on our site:

http://www.pbase.com/thesilvertops/nepal_2008
    Last edited by thesilvertops; 2nd April 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    * thesilvertops *

Hi Escher,
    Wonderful pictures!!!! Congratulations !!
    You wrote you had a HD camcorder. It was for miniDV,DVD or HDD?
    During my last trek (2006) I had a photobank - with very cheap HDD (Samsung 60GB). I've copied photos from SD without any problems even in Gokyo (4800); but some others had a lot of troubles with expensive devices. Their photobanks (HDDs) didint work propertly.
    Before my next trek (Sep/Oct 2008) I want to buy a new camera (HD) but still afraid about HDD over 4000m. What is your experience?
    Otherwise I'll choose HD camera with miniDV.

Thanks again for your brilliant photos and ..... I'm waiting for the next ones :-))
    daras

Quote Originally Posted by thesilvertops
    Your picture of Jharkot and Muktinath clearly shows the new "community centre" in Jharkot which is now dominating the skyline.
    As soon as I came over the pass and saw that new building in Jharkot, I thought "ugh - how ugly." I don't remember the wall around the Muktinath temple complex from the last time I was up there either. Also there is that brightly painted chinese looking building. The whole view of the area was very surreal after coming over the Throung La. Not how I remember it - it looked like something from a theme park from high up - perhaps my memory of it from 6 years ago is vague.

Quote Originally Posted by thesilvertops
    Where were the 3 stupas at Marpha?
    After you cross the landslide just before the trail/road bends right into Marpha there is that big lodge/hotel on the left and a long - freshly painted (gold and red) wall of prayer wheels in the centre of the trail. The three stupas were there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Quote Originally Posted by daras
    You wrote you had a HD camcorder. It was for miniDV,DVD or HDD?

Before my next trek (Sep/Oct 2008) I want to buy a new camera (HD) but still afraid about HDD over 4000m. What is your experience?
    Otherwise I'll choose HD camera with miniDV.
    Thanks Daras. We have a Panasonic HDC SD1 camcorder that records onto SDHC memory cards. I didn't have any problems with it at all on the trek. We filmed on top of the Thorung La at 5400m and it was fine. I haven't reviewed the footage since I got home and I am pretty sure it was ok at that height. I will have to find the Thorung La footage to confirm to you that it indeed wrote to an SD card at 5400m. I filmed the flight to Pokhara and assuming the plane is unpressurised then that must be the equivalent of recording at 15/16000ft and I have reviewed that footage and it is excellent. The quality of footage is pretty amazing - you can't fail to be impressed. HD cameras are the way forward!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Hi Escher,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, there are no problem using SDHC memory cards and miniDV tapes. The lower pressure (over 4000m) is not important for these elements. The problem can appear when you use HDD or DVD. Therefore (I think) I have to choose between memory cards and miniDV tapes.

BTW: How many GBs of SDHC you recorded? As I remember it was 4hours; it was 1080i quality?

daras

1GB = 10 minutes of full HD footage and we shot around 32GB, so about 5 hours. I found some good deals on SDHC cards in the UK just before we left. I think the biggest down side was the cost of spare batteries as there were no cheap copies available. These were around 80 each. There were plenty of places to recharge it however. But the 110v power supply did mean it took a long time to recharge the batteries.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher