Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Annapurna Circuit trip report

Smile Re: Annapurna Circuit trip report

Thank you!

Default Re: Annapurna Circuit trip report

We spent 83,000 NRs on our 39 night, 40 day trek round AC and in to ABC. This is near enough 2000 NRs per day. That's all food and drink for two but no bottled drinks - beer, fizz or water. We drank various kinds of tea, coffee and chocolate and we treated water with iodine for cleaning teeth. Some days we spent a lot more then 2000, other days less.

Love all the pics. Could you give info on cameras used?
    * thesilvertops *

Quote Originally Posted by thesilvertops
    Could you give info on cameras used?
    You may wish you had never asked!

I carried 17kgs on the trek, 7 of which was camera equipment.

I upgraded from a Canon EOS 350D to a 40D just before the trip. I found it to be a superb camera, my photography improved a lot through the trip through having so many opportunities to try and get the best out of the camera, having some nice lenses also helped, although my macro lens had to survive twice being dropped on its end onto rock!

Kit list:-
    Camera
    Canon EOS 40D
    Lenses
    Canon EF17-40L F4
    Canon EF70-200L F4
    Canon EF100 Macro F2.8
    Canon 430EX Flash
    Canon 1.4 Teleconverter

I used the 70-200 for telephoto and portraits. For the latter it was excellent and sharp as a tack. The 17-40 for landscapes and as a general walk around and the 100 macro for portraits and flowers/insects etc. I used the external flash quite a lot too, bounced with a diffuser in gompas and for buddhist artwork inside stupas/chortens, and as fill in flash outdoors in the large amount of high contrast situations. Along with 3 batteries, chargers, full size tripod and 30GB of CF cards I was regularly cursing the amount of kit I had, but I used it all and I am very happy with the results I got.

We also took a tiny HD camcorder and I have to say some of the footage viewed on a large HD screen is really quite astounding. The quality of the new generation of affordable high def camcorders is really impressive, the colour rendition and sharpness quite amazing. If you are into that sort of thing they are well worth looking into. It is a Panasonic SD-5 HD camcorder if anyone is interested.

Now I have to devote all my spare time to editing 3000 photos and 4 hours of video footage! I filmed the flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara with extensive clear views of the Himal between the two places. I expect that footage may look particularly impressive in HD.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Hi Escher
    Thanks for a great report ,its good to know Annapurna Circuit is not spoiled and is still worth doing .
    We are off to Everest Region in a few weeks
    Will we need to register with TIMS ,is it compulsory ?
    Your photos are beautiful , and will you be posting any more .
    Last time I was in KMD I took about 10 photos of that Stupa and not 1 of them comes anywhere near that one of yours
    Cheers Mike
    Last edited by redders; 27th March 2008 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redders
    Will we need to register with TIMS ,is it compulsory ?
    Your photos are beautiful , and will you be posting any more .
    Last time I was in KMD I took about 10 photos of that Stupa and not 1 of them comes anywhere near that one of yours
    Cheers Mike
    Yes TIMS registration is compulsory. Not that anyone checked that we registered whilst we were trekking. It's easy enough to do though. Free if you go to the NTB office or 250nrps if you get an agent to do it for you.

I'd love to post some more pictures if you enjoy seeing them. A bit of luck, some expensive lenses and taking thousands of pictures results in a few nice ones but I am pleased with some of the results I got. Thanks for the compliment and I hope you have a great trip.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Annapurna II

Butter Lamps

Lammergaier

Rhododendron Forest in Full Bloom
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Bridge to Syanje

Kagbeni Gompa Festival Mask

Yak on the High Route to Tilicho

Julia Heading Down from the Pass
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Hi, Escher

Love the new pics. There is a lot less snow compared with a month earlier when we trekked the AC.

I've also had a look at your FlickR pages. Great to see that the Lakes features so prominently. When I was teaching I used to go there a lot, training courses, with students, DofE, etc., but not so much lately. It is one of my favourite places.

By the way, your Lammergaier is an Himalayan Griffon Vulture. The pointers are: the tail shape, the under wing patterning and the breast colour. Great shot, though!
    * thesilvertops *

Quote Originally Posted by thesilvertops
    By the way, your Lammergaier is an Himalayan Griffon Vulture. The pointers are: the tail shape, the under wing patterning and the breast colour. Great shot, though!
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure. A large group of them flew very close to us for half an hour on the way up to Khangshar and it was quite a spectacle.

I was surprised to read in your report about the amount of snow. We saw very little at all really and only encountered it on the trail going over the pass and we weren't there much longer after you were.

The Lakes is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too. It is not like anywhere else I have ever seen. I am a southerner from Kent but now live in Lancaster and I feel blessed to have them on my doorstep which means we can dash up there whenever there is good weather. They are covered in snow at the moment and there is a terrific view right across most of the Lakeland fells from the Bowland fells 5 minutes from where I live. I do feel lucky to live in the North West. If only it would stop raining!

All the best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Escher

Brilliant pictures Escher! Literally breathtaking!

I hope you will let us see some more from this trek. Most of us have been there,
    I as late as last November. But I still love seeing those pictures. And to read
    comments on various villages and lodges etc.