Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

Default Re: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

interesting information from all of you.
    Pass from Tilicho to Panda Khola would be aprox. 5500 m. Panda Khola gorge looks quite narrow and steep in some places in map, I suppose you need to go higher on slopes and not to follow riverbed. It looks tempting to go to this pass from Tilicho side. If we will feel ok for staying night (or nights) near Tilicho it's an option. And, as we will have a tent, it's an option to go higher by ridge from Muktinath too (although not to this pass).

Per, thanks for advice about valley east from Jomsom. It's definitely interesting. What you would like better - go by this ridge east from Jomsom or go to AluBari from Marpha? (I suppose we will not go to Dhampus Pass)

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    I suppose you need to go higher on slopes and not to follow riverbed. It looks tempting to go to this pass from Tilicho side.
    As long as one has sufficient food and fuel to turn back in case the gorge is difficult. I donīt know if there are any trails at all up there. Suppose some one would use it for summer pasture for some kind of animal.

It's definitely interesting. What you would like better - go by this ridge east from Jomsom or go to AluBari from Marpha? (I suppose we will not go to Dhampus Pass)
    Hard to say. I would do both. Alu bari (lit., non irrigated potato land) is just a few hours from Marpha. One can easily ascend much higher, to a yak kharka, and the ridge that comes down from Dhampus. Good views of Nilgiri and Tilicho Himal. From the ridge above Jomosom you might have good views of Dhaulagiri.

I made a scan from a part of "Around Annapurna" by Nepa Maps and marked in light green the approximate route we took. The rest is a black dotted line down to Panda Khola and then along the river. Hope this would be helpful, especially for The Silvertops (you can copy this if you want).

Good work I think we went approximately along the red-dotted line or possibly the black-dotted a little bit further east. The underlying map is not too reliable.

We passed Lubra at a distance, did not see a soul, and cut over the ridge southwards.

I've had another go at the map and posted a new version with the following notes. Please let me know if there are any mistakes. Thank you!

"If you are heading to Jomosom from Muktinath(or vice-versa) you can hike the main trail which is easy but busy and is now used by motor vehicles (motor bikes) or you can choose one of these alternative routes visiting the Bonpo village of Lupra. The green trail follows the usual track down until you are above Eklebhatti. Take the trail on the left contouring round the mountain, then dropping down to the Panda Khola and into Lupra. Follow the stream down to the Kali Gandaki to finish your walk into Jomosom.The red trail takes you from Jharkot gently up to a ridge before dropping down to the Panda Khola. The blue route starts from the western end of Muktinath and is fairly flat at first, rising to a ridge before dropping down to the Panda Khola. The map then shows the trail contouring around the hillside to reach Lupra but it may be possible to follow the river bed. The pink trail shows a route starting in Muktinath as before (blue route) but joining the red route from Jharkot. On a clear day you should have good views of Dhaulagiri, Tukuche and Nilgiri as you cross the ridge on the red or blue trails. Be aware that crossing the Panda Khola may be difficult when it is in spate."
    * thesilvertops *

If I remember correctly, the trail from Muktinath does not head straight down to the Panda Khola but rather bends eastwards as it descends to the bottom. Not a problem as long as people take it for and indication of where to expect a trail.

The trail(s) are just barely discernible on Googleearth if you care to have a look.

Any route up to Tilicho would be tough going if not impossible. Certainly not a nice day out.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Quote Originally Posted by rich
    Any route up to Tilicho would be tough going if not impossible. Certainly not a nice day out.
    There may be a lot of shrubs. We tried to go to the lake above "Tilicho Base Camp" and stumbled through shrubs for hours until we gave up. On the other hand it could be nice way to or from Tilicho.

hm, which lake you mean? I wasn't in Tilicho so I have only map to think about. Is this a lake approx. 4900-5000 m, east from Tilicho lake (between Tilicho lake and Letdar)?

Quote Originally Posted by Per
    There may be a lot of shrubs. We tried to go to the lake above "Tilicho Base Camp" and stumbled through shrubs for hours until we gave up. On the other hand it could be nice way to or from Tilicho.

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    hm, which lake you mean? I wasn't in Tilicho so I have only map to think about. Is this a lake approx. 4900-5000 m, east from Tilicho lake (between Tilicho lake and Letdar)?
    Yes, it is east, at the very end of the valley that drains down to the houses known as Tilicho Base Camp. The lake is right at the foot of a 6000 m mountain.