Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

Default Re: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

Very nice and interesting post, un-j!

Quote Originally Posted by un-j
    Continuing:

In the valley you walk on the gravel. And you have to cross the river, so choose the proper place to do it.

The village of Lupra

Finally you reach the Kali Gandaki valley.
    Lovely pictures, so incredibly beautiful, made me want to go back.

Did you follow the river? When we did it we crossed the stream and then we sort of scrambled on the southerns slopes for hours. It was mostly wood cutters trails before Lubra. Did we miss a good trail?

There is an easy trail to Lupra which crosses a plateau above Ekliobhaati. The trail departs the Muktinath-Kagbeni route shortly above Kagbeni and contours to the left across this plateau to a large chorten above the Lupra valley then down to the riverbed and across the small river directly. There might be another route more directly from near Jharkot. Otherwise its back down the river to meet the main valley between Jomsom and Ekliobhaati.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

Thanks Peteris and Per. More shots here.

>>Did you follow the river? When we did it we crossed the stream and then we sort of scrambled on the southerns slopes for hours. It was mostly wood cutters trails before Lubra. Did we miss a good trail?

Or maybe we have missed? I'm not quite sure if we went along the trail marked on a map (around Annapurna by Nepa Maps).

When we approached the river, in some point we were in doubt which way to go. But we spotted some other group by the river, so we came down and followed the river.
    Last edited by un-j; 19th April 2009 at 03:13 PM.

I've put this information on a map and posted it on my Pbase side trip maps page. Please let me know if I've made any mistakes and I will correct them asap.

Here is a copy:

I haven't walked the route but here is a picture of the start of the route if you're heading to Muktinath from Jomosom.

Panda Khola:
    * thesilvertops *

Quote Originally Posted by thesilvertops

I haven't walked the route but here is a picture of the start of the route if you're heading to Muktinath from Jomosom.
    It is long since, 1981, but I have a distinct memory that we did not lose any altitude, at least not much, when we left Muktinath, there was a trail across the first "logical" saddle, and then we crossed the Panda Khola much further upstream than you indicate on the map. It was not really a river there, more like a fast bumbling brook, not a long ford just a few metres but really fast and scary. Then, we traversed the slopes on the other side on really faint trails down to Lubra.

Thats right of course S'tops.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman

I wonder if one could follow the Panda Khola upstream? It turns south and then at the end of the valley is a watershed towards the Tilicho Basin. We have looked down into it from the ranges north of Tilicho. Looks like a nice high valley. It could be another way to Tilicho. We looked at it but thought what if there is a narrow gorge or something that would force us to back track.

Now, with a road to Jomosom, it could be interesting.

[QUOTE=thesilvertops]I've put this information on a map and posted it on my Pbase side trip maps page. Please let me know if I've made any mistakes and I will correct them asap.

Here is a copy:

Trying to remind - I didn't realise it could be so important, so I regret I didn't take more photos.
    OK. First thing first. We left Muktinath along the detour trail (definitely we didn't go through Jharkot).
    On this picture you can see where we left the trail - we turned right and traversing the slope we ascented to a saddle between two hills (one abt. 40-50 m, the second abt. 15-20m), and now I know it's not the saddle mentioned by Per.

I think we didn't cross any stream (I know this could be season streams) so I guess we came down to the Panda Khola valley little bit farther up. And finally - we didn't came up the other side of the valley, though we've seen the trail. We followed the river (too much said - just abt. 1 m wide stream).
    Last edited by un-j; 21st April 2009 at 03:09 PM.

I've found another map which shows a route from Muktinath and reaches the Panda Khola much higher up the valley. It then follows the river(stream) much more as it heads for Lupra. I'll update my map and let you guys have another look at it. I'd like to get it right so all the help you can give me is a bonus. I'm also looking at that possible route from Tilico.

I'd like to add some more maps to the collection so any other side trip tips are welcomed. Especially if they take you away from roads!
    * thesilvertops *