Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

Default Re: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

ok, I understand. It's not lake I meant - it's little bit North-West from other one, aprox. 5100 m.

Quote Originally Posted by Per
    Yes, it is east, at the very end of the valley that drains down to the houses known as Tilicho Base Camp. The lake is right at the foot of a 6000 m mountain.

Google Earth is amazing thing. Here are two views of Tilicho-Lupra pass

view from pass to Lupra side

and view to pass from north

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    and view to pass from north
    Absolutely, brilliant From the look of it I would bet on scaling the little knoll that is to right to get into the Tilicho basin.

There are now many alternative trails avoiding the roads. I made a description which you can download
    http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England...annapurna.html

We trekked the AC Nov/Dec 2012 and heavily used the new trail info provided by Andrees and Prem Rai. One can also buy the NA503 (Around Annapurna with new Annapurna trekking trails updated to avoid the road) from the bookshops in Kathmandu and Pokhara.

We did the following side trips worth noting, some appearing in the map, some pointed to by our porter-guide:

* Pisang Peak day trip route from Lower/Upper Pisang, up to 3850m, but one can go as high as Pisang Peak base camp (4380m), or even higher - I believe there is another camp above 5000m. If you go high enough (say above 4000), you may get into the "special permit" areas, but nobody is there to enforce it. We did a day trip for acclimatization (went to around 3850m), and went back to Lower Pisang. Steep trek, but very good views, similar to the upper route via Ngawal.

* Side trip from Letdar up the hills - I believe the route goes eventually to the base camp for Chulu West. The paths were not marked, but were very easy to follow, and the Letdar tea houses were visible pretty much all the time, so it is very difficult to get lost. We went up to 4600m (around 2hrs return from Letdar), excellent views from there on sunset, and lots of yaks grazing.

* Larjung-Kalopani via Sirkung, Nupsang Kharka, and Titi Lake (NATT route) - this is a variation of the NATT route via Titi Lake. The path via Sirkung is not marked, but there was a sign "Nupsang Kharka", and the locals know it - our porter-guide found it from the locals. The other way to go to Nupsang Kharka is via Titi Lake/Titi village - at Titi Lake if you look up the hill towards Nilgiri, you'll see the path zigzagging up the hill. Nupsang Kharka is on approx 3200m altitude, so it is a fairly steep 1.5-2 hrs walk from Sirkung. Sirking is across the river from Larjung, there were no issues crossing Kali Gandaki. There are excellent views from Nupsang Kharka towards Dhaulagiri, Annapirna 1, and the Titi lake/Titi Village below.

on the trail from Ngawal towards the Kang La, are you required to have a permit to enter? Is there a checkpoint? my map shows a gompa and a viewpoint about 1/3 of the way to the pass. Anybody been up that way before?

regarding the orig posting with the maps...can you update the Muktinath map showing it is possible to hike down the road from Jhong/Dzong direct to just N or Manang...that road is far less used than the reg road that descends thru Jharkot...we saw one jeep...just as you reach the Manang area you can descend to the next village up for a look then finish at Manang. I have walked both from Jhong/Dzong to "Kagbeni" and from Muktinath via Jharkot to "Kagbeni" and much prefer the former....you can do a day hike around the Muktinath area the morning after you get there seeing some small villages and looping thru Jharkot and returning to Muktinath for hotel checkout food then depart to Dzong.....see NAAT trail info...then when leaving Dzong just take that road to just N or Manang.

Roger

oops, used Manang for some reason when meant Kagbeni; Kagbeni changes in " now.
    Last edited by roger_ray; 1st August 2014 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Used wrong name for villages...should have been Kagbeni

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    on the trail from Ngawal towards the Kang La, are you required to have a permit to enter? Is there a checkpoint? my map shows a gompa and a viewpoint about 1/3 of the way to the pass. Anybody been up that way before?
    In theory you should not go up the trail form Ngawal towards Kang La without a permit, but in practice nobody is there to check. Also if caught with a daypack you can certainly claim innocence with no intent to cross into the Naar valley anyway.

I have come down from Kang La to Ngawal once after a 9 day trek into Naar-Pho. I do not remember a Gompa that high up there, but there is one lower down and higher trails to Braga which are seldom used by trekkers.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    There is an easy trail to Lupra which crosses a plateau above Ekliobhaati. The trail departs the Muktinath-Kagbeni route shortly above Kagbeni and contours to the left across this plateau to a large chorten above the Lupra valley then down to the riverbed and across the small river directly. There might be another route more directly from near Jharkot. Otherwise its back down the river to meet the main valley between Jomsom and Ekliobhaati.

If i understand right the few post about this route ...

the green one is pretty much fine
    the red one ... after crossing the river there is no path on GE .. how is the terrain there? Seems like bushes.

anyone did the blue one ?

Hi
    Just to clarify...
    The path I was referring to is towards the bottom left of your image, around the hillside, crosses plateau then drops to Lupra in centre of picture.
    Havn't done the coloured paths on your fine image, but yeah have seen those trails up the hill from Muktinath side. They look interesting.
    Last edited by rich; 23rd August 2014 at 02:56 PM.
    rich

No one goes so far or so fast as the man who does not know where he is going. H.W.Tilman