Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

Default Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

I've made a little collection of maps of side trips on the Annapurna circuit and they can be viewed here:

http://www.pbase.com/thesilvertops/side_trip_maps

They include 2 short walks into Upper Mustang which are now permitted by the authorities in Nepal.
    * thesilvertops *

Default Re: Side trips on the Annapurna Circuit

That is really useful info. By the way I did some of them. We hiked up to the ‘ice lake’ from Manang in late July or early August it was free from ice. It is know locally as Kang Tso. There was kharka and a friendly local invited us for some lovely salt tea.

Back in 1981 I hiked north of Muktinath, to the nex watershed, on the other side of Chhengar and Jhong, and had a view into the desolate desserts northwards. At the time you were not really supposed to do that. On the other hand I was just day hiking, without luggage or gear, getting acclimatized for Thorung La, so I don´t think any one would have minded.

A couple of other day hikes I can strongly recommend are the valleys above Jomosom and Marpha, Yamkim Khola and Pyongkyu Khola respectively. When one leaves the main valley it is all forest, meadows and bumbling brooks. One can also make the beginning on the hike to the Hidden Valley as a day trip, either from Jomsom or Marpha. From Marpha one passes Alu Bari.

Alu Bari

Higher up are seasonal Yak Kharkas

and stunning views. If one goes light, i.e., without luggage, something warm in case the weather turns and a chocolate bar or two, one can get really high on a day hike. If one is fit from Thorung La one can easily ascend 300 meters per hour. Then, run down in hardly any time at all.

Unfortunately, Dhampus pass is too far, would be next to impossible to reach from Marpha and return the same day.

Another interesting side trip is above Jomoson. On the west side, in a side valley there is a Kharka. We set out for it once when we had flown into Jomosom, but lack of acclimatization got the better of us, so we did not make it all the way. But for someone well acclimatized it should be a nice day hike.

I have added another map - Map_9.jpg - to my Annapurna side trip maps on PBase. This map shows the approximate route of the new track which rises steeply behind Kagbeni to a viewpoint on the ridge high above Kagbeni. There was a photo on the forum recently which clearly showed the track but I can't trace it now.

Side trip maps here
    * thesilvertops *

Hello all,

I’m going AC in June (starting late May). Would like to ask how far it is allowed to go north from Muktinath? I would like to go 7-10 km to north from Muktinath for night in tent and then to Kagbeni next day.

What about prices for food/accommodation now in AC if compared to 2005? I suppose it’s pricier today, but how much?

Also which type of gas is available in Kathmandu? – I have Campingaz type portable stove and don’t know is it worth to take it.

Peteris

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    Hello all,

I’m going AC in June (starting late May). Would like to ask how far it is allowed to go north from Muktinath? I would like to go 7-10 km to north from Muktinath for night in tent and then to Kagbeni next day.
    You can easily cross the valley below Muktinath and hike up to a saddle on the other side of the valley should be around 7 km. I did that years ago. I don´t think anyone would stop you if you wanted to hike beyond the saddle, though the views will be pretty much the same as from the saddle, and endless waste of brown ridges, pretty barren.

As for hiking down to Kaghbeni I think it would be better to go the normal way so the police don´t think you have hiked in a restricted area.

By the way another detour is to hike through the Lubra valley. Take the first saddle to the south of Muktinath. Just be aware that the khola at the bottom can be difficult to ford, very fast.
    Last edited by Per; 17th April 2009 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks very much, Per! I thought about the south from Muktinath also and still don't know which alternative would be better for views. In map I have (Schneider) there is Lupra village in Panda Khola valley - I suppose it's the same you mentioned as Nubra.

Quote Originally Posted by peteris
    Thanks very much, Per! I thought about the south from Muktinath also and still don't know which alternative would be better for views. In map I have (Schneider) there is Lupra village in Panda Khola valley - I suppose it's the same you mentioned as Nubra.
    Lubra of course, Nubra is in Ladakh.

You can easily go north to the saddle on the other side of the valley in a couple of hours. Think it is a half day hike. If it is clear you will have nice views of Dhaulagiri, though pretty much the same as from Muktinath.

Going through the Panda Khola valley is an intersting detour. Lubra is a very special village as the inhabitants practice Bonpo,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%B6n Took us a day to Jomosom.

A hike with splendid views, in clear weather, is up along the ridge east of Jomosom. There is a large trail starting from Thini traversing the ridge´s southern slopes. Ultimately, it leads to Meso Kantu La. One can also cut up to the crest after Thini and try to follow the very ridge.

My few shots from the descent from Muktinath through Panda Khola valley and Lupra:

Both above taken from the saddle, mentioned by Per.

You walk along the ridge, and then descenting gently (the path well seen on the left)

Approaching the valley the trail becomes more steep.
    Last edited by un-j; 17th April 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Continuing:

In the valley you walk on the gravel. And you have to cross the river, so choose the proper place to do it.

The village of Lupra

Finally you reach the Kali Gandaki valley.
    Last edited by un-j; 17th April 2009 at 07:14 PM.