Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kanchengunga trekking

Default Kanchengunga trekking

Have been used to and prefer independent trekking in Nepal but this seems impractical for my next trek to the Kanchengunga base camps. Can anyone recommend a UK company or is it better to use a Nepalese based agency?

Default Re: Kanchengunga trekking

The UK company will use a company in Nepal anyways and pocket a big chunk of cash. I have used Pemba Sherpa pembal15@yahoo.com
    I have trekked with him 6 times, three of which were expedition style. I was very happy with his work. He treats the staff well, makes sure they have the proper equipment etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon
    The UK company will use a company in Nepal anyways and pocket a big chunk of cash. I have used Pemba Sherpa pembal15@yahoo.com
    I have trekked with him 6 times, three of which were expedition style. I was very happy with his work. He treats the staff well, makes sure they have the proper equipment etc.
    I agree with Sharon.
    You can get local Nepali guides or Kathmandu based agencies with experience in this kind of stuff.
    yakshaver

Thanks Sharon & Yakshaver. That's very helpful.

Please can anyone tell me, is it possible to trek the Kanchenjunga region entirely using tea houses? Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU
    trek the Kanchenjunga region entirely using tea houses?
    No, the Kanchenjunga trek is definitely not a teahouse trek. There are a couple of lodges in Ghunsa, plus a few others around, and of course the locals are very hospitable, but some places you will just have to camp.

Here is a photo of the kitchen/lounge/dorm (just 1 room) at the best (only) lodge in Lonak

Thanks Oli.
    Your Lonak lodge looks like a typical Highland bothy.
    Clearly not the luxury lodges of Annapurna and Everest trekking!

That place was possibly one of the most entertaining places I have stayed in all the times I have been in Nepal. It is really just a yak herders hut, IIRC it was the only structure at Lonak with 4 stone walls. Krishna (my guide, middle of the photo) asked in Ghunsa and a couple of the lads from our lodge came up the valley with us to unlock the door and cook our dhal bhat. Our hosts also sold rather a lot of raksi to the porters from a Dutch group camping in the area. So if your Scottish bothy is also the local pub having an all night lock-in....

As it happens Krishna is arranging a trek to Kanchenjunga around the end of March, if anyone is interested to know their plans then mail krishnatrekguide@hotmail.com
    [fwiw: I don't know anything about the plans for this trek but I'd trust Krishna to make it good]

I'm hoping to trek the Kanchenjunga circuit in September and early October of 2008. Is that too late in the season? It will be my first time to Nepal, and I don't want to do one of the crowded treks. I heard of Kanchenjunga through an article I edited - Trekking the Kanchenjunga Circuit - The advice here has been very helpful, thanks, and I look forward to participating in this forum.

Hi Chris,

I wrote the article Tim mentioned above, and I just wanted to throw my two cents in the ring.

I did the Kangchenjunga circuit almost exactly a year ago without heavy camping equipment. A friend of mine and I hired a guide in Kathmandu. We carried sleeping bags, warm clothes, and a few things to supplement meals with (coffee, tea, sugar, etc). Going fast and light without lots of gear or porters made for a really relaxing trip.

You're right on when you say trekking Kangchenjunga is

Clearly not the luxury lodges of Annapurna and Everest trekking
    However, it's most definitely possible to do the trek using only teahouses...as long as you're willing to eat dal baht for 25 days and sleep on the floors of rugged huts just like the one on Oli's picture

Hope you get there soon!

Andris
    www.andrisbjornson.com