PDA

View Full Version : Rabies jab?

Msscn
6th January 2008, 01:36 AM
I have seen that this has been approached before but not for a while.

Is it still the general view not to have the jabs before you go?

Sharon
6th January 2008, 06:16 AM
I don't have rabies but I certainly have a few others before I go. I think on my very first trek the vaccinations cost more than my 12 day trek in langtang Gosaikunda.

kegarne
6th January 2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah the course costs a bomb.... but I can tell you it will cost you 3 times as much if you get bitten by a rabid dog and have to get the shots afterwards.

Suginami
6th January 2008, 02:52 PM
I never get any shots.

BIG H
7th January 2008, 03:20 AM
It really depends where you are going and how far you will be from a medical center should you get bitten. The jabs only buy you time which obviously could save your life but it would still cost you money locally either way. its about 150 - 180 for the course of three jabs, expensive ? maybe, depends what price you put on your life.....

Msscn
7th January 2008, 11:49 PM
Once you have the rabbies jabs is that it for life or do they have a shelf life on them?

Thinking of going to south america at some point this year as well. If the jabs stay with you for life i may have them.

What i mean by stay with you, i mean that do you have to have another batch of three in a years time before you head off?

critter2722
8th January 2008, 08:53 AM
Noone is certain how long the vaccine will remain effective in your system. You should get a titer of your levels every so often (I guess b/f you go out) and get a booster if needed. As a health care provider, I would suggest getting the vaccine for all international travel (that is, to places with increase risk...ie New York, they are flithy there :) ) but as a traveller, I didn't get one and probably will never get one.

Happy Trekking!!!

csommer
11th January 2008, 12:29 PM
I got all the other shots but in all my trips there I never thought about Rabies much. The main trekking areas are more developed than other rural areas so the chance is smaller.

yakshaver
13th January 2008, 12:11 PM
I would not get a rabbies vaccine. Lika anti malaria stuff, it has side effects and it is not a100 % effective.

Just hava a bloomin big trekking pole and hit any dogs which look threatening. I did not have any issues with dogs in my treks in Nepal. Mind you, I look and behave a lot more rabbid than any of them, and they run and yelp when they see me.

Secondly, and on the other hand, please do get a rabbies vaccine if you plan to engage in some kinky behaviour (with animals, humans, or whatever else in between) involving biting. For example. For their sake, I suppose, if nothing else...

Weka
14th January 2008, 01:07 PM
Three years ago I got bitten in KTM by a monkey from a group known to carry rabies. I thus thought it reasonable to get the serum into me.
It cost over $US1500 and was altogether a total pain in the butt: fortunately, my insurance company paid.
If you know for sure that you'll never get bitten, don't bother getting inoculated. But otherwise ... your call!

RRainey
24th January 2008, 12:49 AM
Hello, why do you folks over in the UK call shots jabs? Isn't the process enough without a paiful name?, save jabs for boxing. RR

critter2722
24th January 2008, 06:09 AM
Not defending the UK but one could say the same thing about the US using the term "shots". Maybe that term should be left in the bar room!!

happy drinking,

critter

Sharon
24th January 2008, 08:27 AM
Well we say shots in canada as well. Shots of tequila aren't as bad as jabs

RRainey
24th January 2008, 10:32 PM
I promise not to shoot you if you don't jab me

yakshaver
25th January 2008, 12:09 AM
Three years ago I got bitten in KTM by a monkey from a group known to carry rabies. I thus thought it reasonable to get the serum into me.
It cost over $US1500 and was altogether a total pain in the butt: fortunately, my insurance company paid.
If you know for sure that you'll never get bitten, don't bother getting inoculated. But otherwise ... your call!

Hm... no more patting those monkeys for me...

Did the monkey survive? (by the way)

Oli
29th January 2008, 04:12 AM
Thinking of going to south america at some point this year as well.

The dogs in Nepal are generally quite friendly, the dogs in South America are a lot more knarly. The monkeys at Swayambunath are far more dangerous than cute.

CIEWC (http://www.ciwec-clinic.com/immune/rabies.html) - an excellent resource