PDA

View Full Version : April over October

PFC
24th November 2007, 07:32 PM
OK, I've read all the horror stories about hundreds of marauding trekkers being led around the AC by Sherpa's during the months of October / November. This has put me off doing my planned trek next Oct and waiting till April 09. a long time I know to wait but i'm hoping it's worth it. I would really welcome comments and observations about the fundemental differances over these two months and whether the wait is really worth it. I would prefer to see less trekers over bad weather and could even sacrifice the views if it meant I had a greater feeling of isolation. Welcome your views and obverstions.

PFC

Sharon
24th November 2007, 09:30 PM
There will be fewer trekkers in April however it is unlikely you would ever feel isolated on the AC. It attracts the most trekkers of all routes.
Langtang would be much quieter. You laso could go expedition sttyle and do soemthing like the Ganesh Himal. This has to be done camping style but in 2 weeks I never saw another foreigner.

PFC
24th November 2007, 09:49 PM
thanks Sharon,

I know there will always be other trekkers around, and that's one appeal for me in Nepal. I just didn't want to think I on on a sponsered walk! The AC really appeals, again I just don't want hoards of people around all the time. I have no experience of Nepal so can't really get a feel of how busy it is. for example, walked for six days on the GR11 this summer, and used Refuges, some nights there were maybe three people in refuge other nights 30 people, I can live with that, just not rammed every night.

Sharon
24th November 2007, 11:20 PM
That looks like a great trail. Would it be hikable in May? I cycled a trans alp in Germany Austria Italy a few years ago in the Fall. I loved the refugios.

PFC
24th November 2007, 11:47 PM
Fantastic walking, went in August, hot days cold(ish) nights, two days of rain. May is OK (but wetter).

PFC.

katwmn06
25th November 2007, 01:32 AM
greetings,....i'm doing EBC circuit in the beginning of April....how are the routes then?....over crowded too....i don't mind some people but too many just takes away from the whole "one with nature" experience! kat

yakshaver
25th November 2007, 03:47 AM
greetings,....i'm doing EBC circuit in the beginning of April....how are the routes then?....over crowded too....i don't mind some people but too many just takes away from the whole "one with nature" experience! kat

The Khumbu area (EBC, Gokyo) have become more crowded in recent years than AC, also due to the fact that until past Namche they share the same narrow trail long the Dudh Kosi.

However April should be ok, better than Oct/Nov in any case. I have done Gokyo in April 04 and there were still plenty of tourists, but not as many as in Nov 96 when I did it first. People were not waiting in line to cross the bridge at Zanfute or Jorsale or something...

Regarding the AC, having done most of it twice, once in December, once in July, I must say that neither time did I feel crowded. I don't thing the AC feels as crowded as the area between Lukla and Namche Bazaar. Ever. Could also be because people get paranoic about meeting the Maoists who ask for donations (we met none of them either time...)

Both times we met one or two or max three trekker per day. Sometimes we met none. Plenty of donkey caravans in the lower parts of the Marsyangdi valley though. Come to think of it some donkeys had red cloth tied to their ears... Maybe they were maoist donkeys. They did not ask for any donations.

I think even October/November the AC should be ok. I have heard Khumbu was very croded this October.

Suginami
25th November 2007, 06:10 AM
The rule is DON'T got to KHUMBU in OCTOBER. I am shouting from the mountain tops here. The EBC tends to attract that dubious person who wants a trip of a life time. So as I have said elsewhere

EAR PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! OR you will be swearing worse than Yakshaver or Sharon.

The horrible row of big groups is something I NEVER want again.

I think Sharon's idea about Ganesh Himal is much much more appealing.

PFC
25th November 2007, 06:56 PM
OK, Thanks for your input, as always it is much appreciated and welcome. I think I had already decided to postpone till April 09, looking at Coast to Coast or Pennine Way for 08. The second question then is the weather abversly different in April over October, is the TL colder/wetter/ snowier? are Tea House all open, are bus services OK ETC, ETC. I,m assuming April is a common Trekking period for Nepal so all services are available. Once again I welcome your information.

PFC.

Per
26th November 2007, 12:43 AM
. I would really welcome comments and observations about the fundemental differances over these two months

The fundamental difference is that in October it is autumn in April it is spring. If we are talking about high areas that have four seasons I think the summer, the monsoon season is the best. That is the time that Sherpas, Manangi, Baragaonlis and Thakallis return to their villages to till the fields and have various parties and festivals. The villages are bustling of life.

There are not many tourists as they tend to think that if they trek during the monsoon they will be eaten alive by leeches or be washed away to Bangla Desh by a flash flood or be buried alive under a landslide. It is a season when you can hike really high with a minimum of equipment, compared to what it takes in other seasons when it is arctically cold. Where there is permafrost in the so called trekking seasons you will find meadows of alpine flowers.

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Khumbu/Khumbu0042.jpg

Camping at Gorakshep in early August

kegarne
26th November 2007, 05:26 PM
In my opinion the major difference between Autumn and Spring in Nepal is the cold. It is much colder in spring in the mts than in autumn. Trekking in March and April up high is very, very cold.
I like Per's idea of monsoon trekking except realistically you don't get great views of the mountains much of the time. Certainly weatherwise it would be much more pleasant.

Per
26th November 2007, 06:23 PM
I like Per's idea of monsoon trekking except realistically you don't get great views of the mountains much of the time. Certainly weatherwise it would be much more pleasant.

It really depends on where you trek and the local metrology. Long treks through the lower ranges are completely out, mudd and leeches, either drizzling rain or steaming hot, barely any views of the mountains. Not any fun at all.

The same goes for some basins facing south: e.g., Annapurna BC would be hell during the monsoon, as the clouds are blocked from progress by Annapurnas and drop their moisture right there.

The best areas are of course those that are protected from the monsoon by the Himalayas. In Nepal the Marsyangdi valley is splendid during the summer, though it could be well matched by Charkabhot and Mustang (Lo Manthang).

We have trekked a lot during the monsoon and have really enjoyed it, not least because one can go really high without arctic gear. Of course you get less views measured in time than during say October or April. But there are still plenty of views, and I find the mountains more dramatic, more mysterious, when there is also mist and cloud.

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Langtang/Film0254.jpg

White Peak sunset in upper Langtang, early July

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Khumbu/Khumbu0037.jpg

Everest early August

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Tilicho93/Mesokantola0067.jpg

Annapurna I, north face through monsoon mist, from the ridges north of Tilicho in August

http://www.lowdin.nu/Treks/Tilicho97/Annapurnas0101.jpg

Dhaulagiri and Tukshey Himal in August

PFC
27th November 2007, 12:59 AM
Per,
Please, please, please stop posting your stunning photo's, it makes me want to board a plane tommorrow for Nepal! seriously, thank you for not only explaining to me about the different seasons, but also showing me (us). once again thank you, thank you & thank you. I,ve sat spelblbound for hours looking at mountains in europe and the UK(?) so wait with impatiant anticipation for my trip to Nepal (still eighteen months away!!!!!). Maybe i'll only get to the first pass and spend my days looking at the first moutain range I encounter.

PFC

peteris
28th November 2007, 11:29 PM
It really depends on where you trek and the local metrology...

I think also about other circumstances - in AC all people mostly go one direction (not that in Khumbu); what new roads and all involving in AC will look after year or two?