PDA

View Full Version : Maoist issues on the Makalu trek?

yakman74
22nd October 2007, 07:07 PM
Are there?

Suginami
26th October 2007, 07:35 PM
Where are Maoists these days? Have they given up harrassing people or are there still pockets here and there? The Makalu trek is of great interest to birders but caution is needed due to military prescence but if the situation is cooling down then treks to this region are more possible. Inskipp mentions this trek to the Upper Mai Valley which sounds very interesting. Maybe Per has tried this trek but the Eastern area of Nepal is of great interest to birders.

yakshaver
26th October 2007, 07:35 PM
Are there?

I don't know. Not heard anything in the last couple of years or so, about the area. There used to be a French climbing expedition forced to pay money about 4 years ago in comming back (I think) from Makalu. But recently, well I haven't heard anything, which may be a good thing I suppose.

However some of the gurus around here might know more...

Per
5th November 2007, 07:06 PM
Maybe Per has tried this trek but the Eastern area of Nepal is of great interest to birders.

No, I have never been trekking in eastern Nepal. From what I understand people are Rais in the area and many do not think they have much to thank Kathmandu for. Unlike on the AC or the EBC they do not really have a stake in trekking yet. A couple of years back there were frequent reports on "maoist" activity, trekkers had to pay, etc. I have no idea what it is like today.

In my mind it is the kind of trek on which you would do well to come with a guide and porters who speak Rai (or whatever they are) well and can look after you.

csommer
7th November 2007, 02:15 AM
Haven't heard anything for this area in a while, though reports are coming in again of tax collection in Dolpo, Dhaulagiri and Annapurna areas. It seems that since the Maoists dropped out of the government they are collecting money again. It's possible that they will start in the eastern areas again, though it may vary considerably from region to region. It's not something that should put anyone off anyway, just work it into the budget.