PDA

View Full Version : Kongma La itinerary request..

ricky
18th September 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone out there could help me out with an Itinerary from Namche taking me over Kongma La up to EBC and then over Cho La to Gokyo and back to Lukla.

I will be walking in from Jiri and should be fairly well acclimatised but am struggling to find info on this High pass.

Cho La I have done before from Gokyo side but this is my first trip to EBC so any info at all on the route I am planning will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ricky...
________
Honda CX500C (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CX500C)

Todd Delaney
18th September 2007, 03:18 PM
This November I am doing the following (which takes me over Kongma La):

Day 1: Arrive Kathmandu
Day 2: Arrive Lukla (by plane)
Day 3: Phakding
Day 4: Jorsale
Day 5: Namche
Day 6: Namche
Day 7: Khumjung
Day 8: Tengboche
Day 9: Pangboche
Day 10: Dingboche
Day 11: Dingboche
Day 12: Chukhung
Day 13: Chukhung
Day 14: Chuckung (contingency)
Day 15: Over Kongma La to Lobuche
Day 16: Gorak Shep then Kala Patar
Day 17: Gorak Shep with day trip to EBC
Day 18: Pheriche
Day 19: Namche
Day 20: Lukla
Day 21: Kathmandu

ricky
18th September 2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Todd, much appreciated....
________
YR-1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YR-1)

kolobar
19th September 2007, 01:17 PM
I am always for a good acclimatization plan but Todd's itinerary seems to my like an itinerary made by a trekking agency which want to pull some extra profit by adding extra days and covering the shortest possible day distances or there must be some other reasons for such an extended itinerary due to some special interest?
3 days from Lukla to Namche, 2 days from Namche to Tengboche, 3 days in Chukung...
My proposal for itinerary: Lukla to Namche in 2 days, 3. acclimatization day in Namche, 4. Namche to Tengboche (or even better Deboche if you dont like crowds), 5-6. Deboche to Dingboche, acclimatization day in Dingboche - visit to Periche healthpost for AMS lecture etc., 7. Dingboche - Chukung with acclimatization ascent to Chukung Ri on the same day, 8. crossing Kongma la (the trail to Kongma la starts just behind lodges in Chukung and traverses slopes above Chukung than enters a steep valley which ends up on plateau with few small lakes just below the pass, last climb seems more difficult from afar than it really is - there is quite good trail over rocky slope which takes you to the top... from the top of the pass you can see lodges in Lobuche, after short steep descent from the pass, the trail (or better marking cairns) turn right over some rough big scree and than a good trail descends to glacier morain. You have to cross Khumbu glacier which is quite easy if you follow established trail and cairns over to Lobuche), 9. Lobuche - Kala Pattar - Lobuche (add one more day in Gorak Shep if you want to visit EBC), 10. Lobuche - Dzongla (it is a short trek of about 3 hours), 11. Dzongla - Cho la - Dragnak, 12. Dragnak - 3rd Gokyo lake (another short stretch, climb Gokyo Ri in the evening), 13. a daytrip up the valley until 6th lakes, 14. if you have crossed Kongma la and Cho la, why not cross Renjo la from Gokyo to Thame? Whatever you do, you will need 2 days from Gokyo to Namche and another day from Namche to Lukla, all together 16 days.

Todd Delaney
19th September 2007, 04:24 PM
:-) fair point but somewhat cynical, mine is actually an independent trek, I don't use trekking agencies, I just enjoy being in the mountains and in the Solu Kumbu area. I go slow for 2 reasons...I like to savour the area, and I am travelling with my 60 year old father who likes to amble along the pathways, we take plenty of good books and try to take in and experience as much of the local culture as possible. Also while my father rests I do little side trips. If you are not in a rush I think its nice not to plan rushed itineraries just for the sake of it. But fair point, I know a lot of folks with limited leave from their jobs tend to want to cover as much ground as quickly as possible - which is a popular approach, not necessarily better, just different, meeting different needs.

ricky
19th September 2007, 11:16 PM
You have got me laughing here Guys....!!!

Anyhow, I really appreciate both of your input it's been a great help and I'm looking forward to a great Trek..

Happy trails to both of you...

Ricky..
________
XV1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XV1000)

peteris
20th September 2007, 02:32 AM
I am always for a good acclimatization plan but Todd's itinerary seems ...
My proposal for itinerary: Lukla to Namche in 2 days, 3. acclimatization day in Namche, 4. Namche to Tengboche (or even better Deboche if you dont like crowds), 5-6. Deboche to Dingboche, acclimatization day in Dingboche - visit to Periche healthpost for AMS lecture etc., 7. Dingboche - Chukung with acclimatization ascent to Chukung Ri on the same day, 8. crossing Kongma la

For me kolobar is right, you not need so many days from Namche to Dingboche. After 3rd day in Namche I would go to Khumjung - short walk but you can go a little bit to Gokyo side after in this day - nice trail, and views from Everest View Hotel or near is beatiful (also in early morning in next day). Khumjung is also much quieter than Namche. From Khumjung I would like to go to Pangboche which for me is much better place for night than Tengboche. To Dingboche in 5th day, there is nice walk along ridge above Dingboche till more than 5000 m. If you feel ok, go to Chukhung in next day. To Chukhung Ri you can go also in early morning (start in darkness with torch - sunrise is very nice and you would like to be higher at this moment). I had much better and warmer nights in Gorakshep (there is quite new lodge in Gorakshep with rooms over dining room) than in Lobuche. If have a time go to ridge above Lobuche for views. For the rest follow kolobar or your own :)

Have a nice trek,
Peteris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peteris_e/sets/72157594469601299/

kolobar
20th September 2007, 12:02 PM
I appologise Todd if I sounded cynical, it is a fact that agencies stuff an itinerary with unnecessary days while planning the trek... Staying in Phakding on return from Namche to Lukla is one such example.
I have just finished a long trek and was not limited by time constraints therefore made some short day stretches, enjoying camping and reading books so I understand your trekking attitude except that such an extensive itinerary as you proposed did not seem proper advice for a "newbie" who might think all these days are compulsory and therefore cancelled the whole thing due to the lack of time.

ricky
20th September 2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Another question...

I never usually employ a guide and Trek independantly but would you recomend I do so for these high passes..??

I have done the route from Jiri to Gokyo 4 times previously and made it over Cho La from Gokyo side also, but have never had the time to go on up to EBC.

So although I have a fair knowledge of the area would you recomend a guide for Kongma La and Renjo if I decide to do it..??

Further details of the routes would be helpful also..

Thanks,

Ricky..
________
mexico city hotels (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

kolobar
20th September 2007, 02:45 PM
It seems you are experienced enough to do it without a guide. I have crossed Cho la 3 times, Kongma la twice and Renjo la once always without a guide but I admit I was lucky to have a porter who knew the route while crossing Renjo la when he could find a way down to Thame side in snowing and almost zero visibility. It is not difficult to follow the trail up to Kongma la from Chukung as soon as you find its begginig behind Chukung lodges. Also the trail to Cho la from Dzongla is impossible to miss and there is always wide track in snow over the glacier on top. If you decide to cross Renjo la too you should be fine finding the trail (there are very detailed photos in another tread on this forum) but keep an option to return in bad weather if you are on your own.

ricky
20th September 2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all your info Kolobar, you have been a great help...

Kind regards,

Ricky..
________
Honda CB1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB1)