PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance Companies

Eric1980
13th September 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I can't seem to find a whole lot of information by searching.

What I am wondering is what travel health insurance companies have people used while trekking. It's a little difficult to tell if medical issues arising from trekking will actually be covered under any given policy. It looks to me like International Health Insurance (IHI) is a good bet, but perhaps a little pricey.

So, what have you all used?

Todd Delaney
13th September 2007, 04:53 PM
I have used and am quite happy with QBE, which is an Australian based company...not sure what country you come from?

It is important to make sure the policy covers you for emergency evacuation.

Escher
13th September 2007, 05:03 PM
I have used Snowcard and BMC (British Mountaineering Council) in the UK. They are both underwritten by the same company Fortis. Others I have heard of are the Austrian Alpine Club and American Alpine Club where you can get insurance if you are a member. It depends where you are from really.

Eric1980
13th September 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm from the US, so perhaps I will look into the American Alpine Club. Any more suggestions are appreciated.

James
13th September 2007, 10:10 PM
The AAC is a great source for rescue insurance. The AAC membership fee at $75 covers basic rescue, but for trekking peaks and above you must purchase their extra coverage.

For general travel insurance for US residents, Travelex insurance looked like the best choice to me. There is a lot of fine print, but the bottom line seems to be that nothing will be covered if it is included in the State Dept warning. I'm not sure how that would play out if you were in a trafic accident or were mugged, as violence and unsafe ground travel are mentioned in the travel warning. Let me know if you find anything better.

Eric1980
13th September 2007, 10:20 PM
The AAC is a great source for rescue insurance. The AAC membership fee at $75 covers basic rescue, but for trekking peaks and above you must purchase their extra coverage.

For general travel insurance for US residents, Travelex insurance looked like the best choice to me. There is a lot of fine print, but the bottom line seems to be that nothing will be covered if it is included in the State Dept warning. I'm not sure how that would play out if you were in a trafic accident or were mugged, as violence and unsafe ground travel are mentioned in the travel warning. Let me know if you find anything better.

Thanks James,

Travelex looks pretty good to me too. I'm mostly concerned with getting a helicopter evacuation payed for if for some reason it came to that. I'd hate to be stuck with a $3000+ bill and it looks like Travelex covers that.

James
14th September 2007, 02:50 AM
Between Travelex and the AAC I think you would be covered. I have spoke to both groups and neither were very helpful. But if you read the coverage it would seem that both would cover the emergency flight. The problem with the Travelex group is that the emergency flight would have to be preapproved. Make sure you leave a copy of your plan and the phone numbers with someone ideally in Ktm.

Where are you going and for how long? The best insurance is to add a few days, take your time and head downhill if necessary.

Eric1980
14th September 2007, 08:23 PM
Between Travelex and the AAC I think you would be covered. I have spoke to both groups and neither were very helpful. But if you read the coverage it would seem that both would cover the emergency flight. The problem with the Travelex group is that the emergency flight would have to be preapproved. Make sure you leave a copy of your plan and the phone numbers with someone ideally in Ktm.

Where are you going and for how long? The best insurance is to add a few days, take your time and head downhill if necessary.

My wife and I will be hiking the AC in November. I've got plenty of time (~7 weeks) so I'm not going to rush if I'm not feeling well. Thanks for all the advice.

Eric1980
28th September 2007, 09:20 AM
Just an update in case anyone else is looking for insurance. AIG offers travel insurance called Travel Guard. There's a product that lets you select the level of coverage you want called My Travel Guard. Cost about $250 for two people for two months in Nepal with $50k medical coverage and $100k evacuation coverage as well as a 75% refund of any money spent if we decide to cancel our trip for any reason as long as it's 48 hours prior to departure. It also includes a bunch of other stuff. Seems like it cost about half of what other companies were quoting.

Here's the website: http://www.travelguard.com/