PDA

View Full Version : Question on Nepalese attitudes?

PFC
7th September 2007, 08:04 PM
This may seem a bit "left of field" but I live in shorts and trek and relax in them most of the time. the thing is, my legs are heavily tattooed and to complound this I have an image of Buddha and an Aum symbol ( I think I have covered all relegions to offend) the obvious question for my first visit to Nepal; do I go with the shorts or cover my bases so to speak! and stay in long trousers. how liberal is the Nepalese attitude to this sort of thing, and am I going to be run out of town?! I don't want a debate on the rights and wrongs of Tattoos as that is a whole other forum, just want your opinion and views

Thanks. PFC

Sharon
7th September 2007, 11:53 PM
I think that "they" have seen it all. Particularly in the Khumbu and Annapurna areas.

Per
8th September 2007, 04:41 AM
I think that "they" have seen it all. Particularly in the Khumbu and Annapurna areas.

Yes, all those guys with shaved heads to look monkish or hide boldness make a sad impression as nepalese tend to shave their head while they are mourning only.

But seriously, they donīt give a damn as long as you are a nice person. On the other hand there are dress codes. If you want to get close to Nepalese it is better to cover up a bit. Tibetan speakers tend to think knees are the uggliest you can show.

Todd Delaney
9th September 2007, 08:32 AM
I would concur with the above, however, if you are going to be trekking during the most common trekking seasons you will only want to wear shorts for the lower altitudes anyway - so for much of the trek the question of shorts or longs will be a moot point - it will most likely just be too cold most of the time to wear shorts.

It is customary to for locals to wear long pants, but in my experience they do not get offended when foreigners wear shorts (and I where shorts as often as I can when trekking in Nepal).

In the same way, I am from Sydney Australia, and it is customary for us locals to wear shorts in summer, our deities do not demand it, but it is customary nonetheless, however we Sydneysiders do not get offended when foreigners (tourists) particularly from the subcontinent and Asia elect to wear long pants during the middle of summer, we do think it a little odd, but we go about our business nonetheless, respecting differences between cultures.

In the same way, the Nepalese respect differences between cultures, especially those with access to western television.

However, to maintain respect and even gain access, it is important when entering religious buildings to abide by dress codes, which often includes covering up.

Sharon
11th September 2007, 12:19 AM
I don't wear shorts in Nepal. I have a skort (about knee length) that I wear and trekking pants. I never wear sleeveless tops. Just short sleeve shirts. Around town long skirts.
It always feels a bit weird after being relatively covered compared to home and then to hit Bangkok.

PFC
24th September 2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your input,
I usually find my tattoos a subject of interest and the starting point for some interesting convesations, but I have had negative experiences abroad as well. look forward to my visit (am doing APC in October 08)
Yours in Shorts (and trousers)

PFC

yakshaver
6th October 2007, 02:43 AM
PFC, no discrimination here really (l'm a liar...) but are you male or female? If female, how short are your shorts really? What trek are you doing, and when?

This is not what you may think... Just something to do with yak shaving, that I have been thinking about.

PFC
8th October 2007, 07:48 PM
Dear Mister Shaver,
I am male and have legs like the perverbial Yeti, sorry to disapoint. i don't go for short shorts just your standard knee length walking jobbies!! am planning on walking the AC, but not till Oct 08 (busy Civil Servant working in Germany). tend to stick to European walks (GR's Etc). so fullfilling a big dream by going to Nepal. I have found this web site invaluable so far.

Yours

PFC

Per
8th October 2007, 10:31 PM
I usually find my tattoos a subject of interest and the starting point for some interesting convesations, but I have had negative experiences abroad as well. look forward to my visit (am doing APC in October 08)
Yours in Shorts (and trousers)

As long as you are not a drain on them the locals will hardly care, they are kind of hardened, have seen a tremendous lot of funny looking foreigners over the years. Some Nepalese tatoo their heels, particularly women, of course it depends on how much of you is covered by tatoos, if it is really a lot the kids may react, weep and hide, or shout something less flattering after you.

yakshaver
9th October 2007, 02:35 AM
Dear Mister Shaver,
I am male and have legs like the perverbial Yeti, sorry to disapoint. i don't go for short shorts just your standard knee length walking jobbies!! am planning on walking the AC, but not till Oct 08 (busy Civil Servant working in Germany). tend to stick to European walks (GR's Etc). so fullfilling a big dream by going to Nepal. I have found this web site invaluable so far.

Yours

PFC

Hi PFC,

Per's right, the locals on the most popular treks like the Everest/Gokyo, or Annapurna or even Langtang/Helambu, they've seen all sorts of tourists wearing (or not wearing) all sorts of things. They will not be phased by much, though you may be of some passing interest to kids.
Sharon's right as well. Unless you have some religious evangelistic reason to show off your tatoos, trekkers in Nepal usuall wear long pants and longed sleeved shirts. It's mostly to do with the weather. At lower altitudes I have seen trekkers wearing shorts, and no one gives it a second look, simply because they seen it all before. Nepalis don't wear shorts, unles playing sports (I have seen the army team playing footbal in shorts in Pokhara).
Female trekkers would be best not to wear shorts.
Very old females on the other hand, can wash topless or change their shirts. They've earned the right to do it. Tough very old female tourist doing this might still attract negative attention... I don't know. I know that old Nepalese females do this and don't care.

Glad you find this site useful.

Have a great trek by the way. And I am sorry, but you will not fit with my yak-shaving experiment. None of you fault of course, just not a suitable participant... I am sure you won't take it personally.

PFC
9th October 2007, 01:04 PM
Hi guys,
Once again, thank you for your input. Of course I will have shorts and trousers on my "kit list" so will play it by ear once i finally get to Nepal. I do have LOTS of tattoos (my legs are completly sleeved). I am not bothered about getting a reaction, that happens in "modern western" countries, I just don't want to offend anybody. I will happily wear trousers for the whole trek if thats the safe option, its just apart from high peaks (in Europe) I do personally like to wear shorts. so if your in Nepal and you see a circus show freaK covered in tattoos getting Yak dung thrown at them by the locals please come over and say Hi!

Yours

PFC,